Can we finally admit that blacks are against SSM?

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Or are we still going to blame Mormons for the opposition?

In passing the amendment, many conservatives and African-Americans set political differences aside to vote along spiritual lines. Conservative Christians believe homosexuality is a sin and that traditional marriage between a man and a woman is ordained by God as a cornerstone of life.
In Charlotte-Mecklenburg, the strongest support came from the predominantly white suburban areas of Mint Hill and Matthews. Across town, voters in the African-American neighborhoods of Coulwood and Paw Creek voted almost 2 to 1 in favor. The margin was the same in predominantly black precinct 79 near Charlotte Douglas International Airport.
While the NAACP campaigned hard against the amendment, many black voters continued to see same-sex marriage not as a civil rights issue, but as a lifestyle choice with which they don’t agree.
“This amendment has always been about one thing and one thing only, marriage and family,” said Bishop Phillip Davis, pastor of Nations Ford Community Church, a black congregation in southwest Charlotte. “The voters of North Carolina have chosen to protect the soul of the state and the nation; that is marriage and family.”

Amendment One: N.C. voters approve measure to block same-sex marriage | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Question: Will Obama's "new" position on gay marriage alienate his black support at all?

Why are you always talking about what everyone else believes. What do you believe?

Ans: Nothing

Question: Will Obama's "new" position on gay marriage alienate his black support at all?

It will be interesting to see how his "new" position will be polled. They've been skewering polls like crazy by polling adults compared to the standard of likely voters and Reuters just skewered their latest by polling Democrats 9 points higher giving Obama a lead over Romney.

The coming days will be fascinating. I'd like to see a poll on the issue of same sex marriage done among Muslim voters alone.

Last edited:

In passing the amendment, many conservatives and African-Americans set political differences aside to vote along spiritual lines. Conservative Christians believe homosexuality is a sin and that traditional marriage between a man and a woman is ordained by God as a cornerstone of life.
In Charlotte-Mecklenburg, the strongest support came from the predominantly white suburban areas of Mint Hill and Matthews. Across town, voters in the African-American neighborhoods of Coulwood and Paw Creek voted almost 2 to 1 in favor. The margin was the same in predominantly black precinct 79 near Charlotte Douglas International Airport.
While the NAACP campaigned hard against the amendment, many black voters continued to see same-sex marriage not as a civil rights issue, but as a lifestyle choice with which they don’t agree.
“This amendment has always been about one thing and one thing only, marriage and family,” said Bishop Phillip Davis, pastor of Nations Ford Community Church, a black congregation in southwest Charlotte. “The voters of North Carolina have chosen to protect the soul of the state and the nation; that is marriage and family.”

Amendment One: N.C. voters approve measure to block same-sex marriage | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Blacks are not a monolithic community regarding some issues. there are plenty of Blacks who are for "gay marriage", plenty who don't care either way, and plenty who are against it. I think it may tend to be regional and other demographic factors as well.

NO!

you've been reported.

AttackWatch

Blacks are not a monolithic community regarding some issues. there are plenty of Blacks who are for "gay marriage", plenty who don't care either way, and plenty who are against it. I think it may tend to be regional and other demographic factors as well.

I am in agreement with blacks in the middle, that I have highlighed....

Why are you always talking about what everyone else believes. What do you believe?

Ans: Nothing

By pointing out that a large majority of the opposition to same sex marriage comes from blacks I am talking about what I believe.

I believe that people who assume that North Carolina is full of right wing rednecks are idiots.

QW,

Are all blacks against it?

Of course not, just like not all progressives are for it. That does not mean I cannot point out that, as a group, they overwhelmingly oppose it, just like it doesn't mean that you can't point out that, as a group, progressives overwhelmingly support it.

That explains why whites are more likely to support SSM than blacks, doesn't it?

Newsflash: Just because you are an idiot doesn't mean I am.

NO!

you've been reported.

AttackWatch

They have a pretty thick file on me by now, I report myself at least once a week.

Take a moment right now and go to a news site. Any one will do.

Are you talking about Obama being an Etch-a-Sketch? Does what he said today really change the fact that he has been saying the opposite for the last 10 years?

Forum List

Back