Can we discuss the NY Giants picking Daniel Jones with the number 6 pick!

Rocko

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 30, 2011
NY
A kid from Duke university. Not Zion Williamson, Daniel freaking Jones. 57% completion percentage.....in college! I see very little chances of him being a good starting QB. People are even suggesting the giants picked Jones over Haskins because of racism. Now I don’t subscribe to that theory, but the pick looks to be on face value one of the most bizarre picks I’ve ever seen!

rightwinger

Dumb pick on multiple fronts

Josh Allen, arguably the best player in the draft was available at number 6
Instead, the Giants reach for a player who wasn’t even projected as a first rounder

As it was, Redskins took Haskins at 15 and Jones would have been available at 17

Instead, the Giants reach for a player who wasn’t even projected as a first rounder

As it was, Redskins took Haskins at 15 and Jones would have been available at 17

The GM is either going to look like a complete buffoon or an incredible genius. My guess is the former

The GM is either going to look like a complete buffoon or an incredible genius. My guess is the former
If Josh Allen is All Pro and Jones is a journey man, he will have some explaining to do

He will also get to play Haskins twice a year
The better QB will be evident

If Josh Allen is All Pro and Jones is a journey man, he will have some explaining to do

And another thing to consider is what if Rosen turns out to be a good QB.

But wait, there’s more!

The Giants won five games last year and are fielding a worse team. Defense has been decimated and offense is a one trick pony
Maybe three wins

That puts them at one or two on the draft board with Herbert and Tua available. Will Gettleman still claim Jones is a talent he can’t pass up or will he pull an Arizona ?

But wait, there’s more!

The Giants won five games last year and are fielding a worse team. Defense has been decimated and offense is a one trick pony
Maybe three wins

That puts them at one or two on the draft board with Herbert and Tua available. Will Gettleman still claim Jones is a talent he can’t pass up or will he pull an Arizona ?

If Jones doesn’t play this year and the Giants are in position to draft Tua or Herbert, I think Gettleman gets fired. But if he doesn’t, and the Giants are in a position to draft a considered blue chip prospect at the QB position and he doesn’t do it...then Giants fans will riot.

But wait, there’s more!

Maybe three wins

If Jones doesn’t play this year and the Giants are in position to draft Tua or Herbert, I think Gettleman gets fired. But if he doesn’t, and the Giants are in a position to draft a considered blue chip prospect at the QB position and he doesn’t do it...then Giants fans will riot.
So Gettleman admits he wasted a number 6 pick and dumps Jones for a fourth rounder

Should have taken Josh Allen

Will cost him his job

I feel sorry for Daniel Jones

Not his fault he was selected number 6. He will feel the wrath of the fans

But wait, there’s more!

Maybe three wins

I don't really subscribe to the "think we can get the top of the draft next year" theory. A lot of teams thought they'd have a good shot in the "suck for Luck" sweepstakes, and in the end Peyton couldn't play and Indy swooped in and snagged him up, which left RGIII as the one available. Miami might have had that outlook. Lost some big defensive FA's, NE in the division, they'll pick high enough to get a chance for a top QB, and they are drafting 13th all of a sudden.

With fewer games it's not quite like the NBA where you can say before the season with reasonable certainty who will be playing for the lottery.

And he wasn't 57% completions in college, he was 59.9% on a team that couldn't catch a cold and dropped nearly 10% of his throws. So probably should have been somewhere in that Dak, Wilson, Mahomes, Wentz, Goff, low to mid 60's college completion percentage, which I don't think I'd use as proof a guy can't play or should be drafted high.

Take Ryan Finley for example. 64% completion percentage. That number looks fine. When talking accuracy, Daniel Jones actually hits his target just as often as Finley.

That said I don't think his numbers really make a strong case for him, and it's tough to say with the worst handed receivers, and the 2nd worst performing O-line of drafted QB's who he is. So it comes down to film, ability to learn, physical skills, etc. Which we all know, can vary wildly. The guy that says Brady should be a 1st round pick before the draft is just as likely to say Jamarcus Russell is as well.

For me, the reason he's a reach is usually you want those questions answered. If their GM's got together last year and said "after Mayfield, we don't see a franchise QB here", then fine, take generational talent at RB. And if they say "Daniel Jones is who we believe will be a franchise QB", then take him by all means. But drafting that high, it's tough to go for a guy who doesn't apparently check all the boxes, even if it may not be through any fault of his own.

But wait, there’s more!

Maybe three wins

I don't really subscribe to the "think we can get the top of the draft next year" theory. A lot of teams thought they'd have a good shot in the "suck for Luck" sweepstakes, and in the end Peyton couldn't play and Indy swooped in and snagged him up, which left RGIII as the one available. Miami might have had that outlook. Lost some big defensive FA's, NE in the division, they'll pick high enough to get a chance for a top QB, and they are drafting 13th all of a sudden.

With fewer games it's not quite like the NBA where you can say before the season with reasonable certainty who will be playing for the lottery.

And he wasn't 57% completions in college, he was 59.9% on a team that couldn't catch a cold and dropped nearly 10% of his throws. So probably should have been somewhere in that Dak, Wilson, Mahomes, Wentz, Goff, low to mid 60's college completion percentage, which I don't think I'd use as proof a guy can't play or should be drafted high.

Take Ryan Finley for example. 64% completion percentage. That number looks fine. When talking accuracy, Daniel Jones actually hits his target just as often as Finley.

That said I don't think his numbers really make a strong case for him, and it's tough to say with the worst handed receivers, and the 2nd worst performing O-line of drafted QB's who he is. So it comes down to film, ability to learn, physical skills, etc. Which we all know, can vary wildly. The guy that says Brady should be a 1st round pick before the draft is just as likely to say Jamarcus Russell is as well.

For me, the reason he's a reach is usually you want those questions answered. If their GM's got together last year and said "after Mayfield, we don't see a franchise QB here", then fine, take generational talent at RB. And if they say "Daniel Jones is who we believe will be a franchise QB", then take him by all means. But drafting that high, it's tough to go for a guy who doesn't apparently check all the boxes, even if it may not be through any fault of his own.
As a Giant fan, Jones reminds me of when the Giants took Dave Brown in the first round to be Phil Simms replacement.

I don’t think the Giants should tank to get Tua or Herbert at the top of next years draft. I just don’t see much talent on the team and wondering what the Giants will do if they find themselves at the top of next years draft

But wait, there’s more!

Maybe three wins

As a Giant fan, Jones reminds me of when the Giants took Dave Brown in the first round to be Phil Simms replacement.

I don’t think the Giants should tank to get Tua or Herbert at the top of next years draft. I just don’t see much talent on the team and wondering what the Giants will do if they find themselves at the top of next years draft

It's an interesting situation... Fun fact on Brown. He has the most career passing yards of any QB never to lead a team for a season in passing yards.

It's tough to truly tank in the NFL. Even the Colts suck for Luck bit, the roster they had tried. Their stars didn't sit healthy (Mathis, Freeney, Wayne, Saturday, Bethea all played the full year). The only real instance was coming down to a trade for a middle of the pack QB the GM wanted to make (Orton maybe?) and their owner overriding their GM on that. In sports like baseball and basketball, you have more games and possessions to even out that average difference in talent gap. In football it's 8-12 possessions a game. A couple bad turnovers in the NBA by a great player doesn't end an entire worth of scoring in the NBA for example. A bad outing by a good pitcher doesn't decide 1/16th of the season.

I think if they find themselves at the top and aren't happy with Jones, get that top pick for Tua or whomever they really love that separates themselves as #1, they can pull the Rosen deal. That was a pretty high pick to give up on, but even when Clausen fell to Carolina (many had him top 10-15), they didn't let that stop them from going after Cam.

But wait, there’s more!

Maybe three wins

It's an interesting situation... Fun fact on Brown. He has the most career passing yards of any QB never to lead a team for a season in passing yards.

It's tough to truly tank in the NFL. Even the Colts suck for Luck bit, the roster they had tried. Their stars didn't sit healthy (Mathis, Freeney, Wayne, Saturday, Bethea all played the full year). The only real instance was coming down to a trade for a middle of the pack QB the GM wanted to make (Orton maybe?) and their owner overriding their GM on that. In sports like baseball and basketball, you have more games and possessions to even out that average difference in talent gap. In football it's 8-12 possessions a game. A couple bad turnovers in the NBA by a great player doesn't end an entire worth of scoring in the NBA for example. A bad outing by a good pitcher doesn't decide 1/16th of the season.

I think if they find themselves at the top and aren't happy with Jones, get that top pick for Tua or whomever they really love that separates themselves as #1, they can pull the Rosen deal. That was a pretty high pick to give up on, but even when Clausen fell to Carolina (many had him top 10-15), they didn't let that stop them from going after Cam.

It’s impossible to tank in an NFL season. You have only a sixteen game season, in a game that’s meant to be played like an all out war. You can’t expect guys to dog it while playing football. It’s a sport that it’s impossible to play half-assed. Even in basketball, where fans talk about it all the time, the players and coaches works hard. I think with the exception of a few teams in the past, namely the sixers and Phoenix, tanking in the nba is a myth.

But wait, there’s more!

Maybe three wins

It’s impossible to tank in an NFL season. You have only a sixteen game season, in a game that’s meant to be played like an all out war. You can’t expect guys to dog it while playing football. It’s a sport that it’s impossible to play half-assed. Even in basketball, where fans talk about it all the time, the players and coaches works hard. I think with the exception of a few teams in the past, namely the sixers and Phoenix, tanking in the nba is a myth.
I’m not saying the Giants will tank to get a top pick

I am just saying they are not very good

But wait, there’s more!

Maybe three wins

I’m not saying the Giants will tank to get a top pick

I am just saying they are not very good

That’s a distinct possibility

Forum List

Back