Can We Be One with God

Fisherking

Rookie
May 3, 2006
Houston Tx
Can We Become One with God?

I found this article on a link here on USMB and wanted to draw attention to it.
I hope everyone will take the time to read it.

This section is written in hopes that you can believe that becoming one with God is possible and then seek it for yourself and Him.

Before we attempt to prove it is possible by scripture, let me clarify what it means to be "one with Christ and God". It does not mean that you become God. It does not mean that you become Christ. We can not be equal to either.

But while on earth we can be in Christ and the Father, and Christ and the Father can be in us, to the point that we have the mind of Christ. We can enter the Kingdom of Heaven. We can be a true operational part of the body of Christ, so that we can have Christ fully resurrected in us, that we can become an adopted Son of God, that we can claim Christ in us, that we can live according to the will of God, that we can be with Christ and God forever, that Christ can be our King from whom we get orders forever, that we can have fellowship with Christ and the Father, and that our thoughts, words, and actions can be controlled by God through Christ. If we can be one in Christ, and since Christ is one with the Father, then we can also be one with the Father through Christ; and we can be one together with all others who are one with Christ and therefore part of the Body of Christ, the true church of Christ in the unity, on earth.

Hear O Israel, the Lord our God is one. Mark 12,v29. The Lord said to my lord, sit at my right hand until I have put your enemies under your feet. Psalm 110,v1

I'm just going to cite the Book of John in the Bible next. The writings of Fox testify to this throughout, but here we will stick to John in the Bible to make the point. The summary of the prayer of Christ to the Father in John17, Verses 6-26 includes:

they may be one, as we are one; I (Christ) in them (followers) and you (Father) in me,
that they may become one and perfectly united
not to be taken out of the world, but to be protected in the world from evil
having the fullness of Christ's joy in your hearts and souls
having the love given by the Father to Christ in your (followers) hearts
being with Christ to see his glory, and still here on the earth too
being dedicated, sanctified, consecrated, and made holy here
being perfectly united (this is the unity of the faith, and the only unity)

Now the actual Bible verses, starting with(from the Amplified Bible) - a magnificent prayer made by Jesus at the Last Supper where he is praying for his disciples and for all the followers to come that might receive their teachings: (click here for the King James version in lieu of the Amplified version)

Jesus prays to the Father: (and we know all his prayers become reality)

"I have revealed your very self to the people whom you have given me out of the world. They were yours and you gave them to me, and they have obeyed and kept your word. John17, Verse 6

Now they know and understand that all you have given me belongs to you. John17, Verse 7

For the uttered words that you gave me, I have given them. They have received and accepted and have come to know positively and in reality, (to believe with absolute assurance), that I came forth from your presence, and they have believed and are convinced that you did send me. (verse 8)

I am praying (requesting) for them. I am not praying (requesting) for the world, but for those you have given me, for they belong to you. (verse 9)

All mine are yours, and all that are yours belong to me. And I am glorified in (through) them - they have done me honor, in them my glory is achieved. (verse 10 )

And I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father keep in your name them whom you have given me, that they may be one as we. (verse 11)

While I was with them, I kept and preserved them in your name. Those you have given me I guarded and protected, and not one of them has perished or is lost, except the son of perdition that the scripture might be fulfilled. (verse 12)

And now I am coming to you. I say these things while I am still in the world, so that my joy may be made full and complete and perfect in them - that they may experience my delight fulfilled in them, that my enjoyment may be perfected in their own souls, that they may have my gladness within them filling their hearts. (verse 13)

I have given and delivered to them your word (message), and the world has hated them because they are not of the world - do not belong to the world -as I am not of the world. (verse 14)

I do not ask will that you take them out of the world, but that you will keep and protect them from the evil. (verse 15)

They are not of the world, (worldly, belonging to the world), as I am not of the world. (16)

Sanctify them - purify, consecrate, separate them for yourself, make them holy- by the truth. Your word is truth. (verse 17)

Just as you sent me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. (18)

And for their sake and on their behalf, I sanctify (dedicate, consecrate) myself, that they also may be sanctified (dedicated, consecrated, made holy) in the truth. (verse 19)

Neither for these alone do I pray - it is not for their sake only that I make this request - but also for all those who will ever come to believe in (trust, cling to, rely on) me through their word and teaching; (verse 20) This applies to you and me too, because we are reading the disciples' words and teachings.

So that they all may be one as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be one in us, so that the world may believe and be convinced that you have sent me. (verse 21)

I have given to them the glory and honor which you have given me, that they may be one, as we are one; (verse 22)

I in them and you in me, in order that they may become one and perfectly united, that the world may know and recognize that you sent me, and that you have loved them as you have loved me. (verse 23)

Father, I desire that they also whom you have entrusted to me may be with me where I am, so they may see my glory, which you have given me - your love gift to me - for you loved me before the foundation of the world. (verse 24) He wants us in heaven with Him while we are still in the world, but sanctified. We can be there with Him before we die.

O just and righteous Father, although the world has not known you and has failed to recognize you and has never acknowledged you, I have known you continually. And these men know and understand that you have sent me. (verse 25)

I made your name known to them and revealed your character and your very self, and I will continue to make known, that the love which you have bestowed on me may be in them - felt in their hearts - and that I may be in them." (verse 26)

I hope you can see all his prayers, or promises. Just to review, Jesus promises to his true believers:

they may be one, as we (Christ & Father) are one; I in them and you (Father) in me,
that they may become one and perfectly united
not to be taken out of the world, but to be protected in the world from evil
having the fullness of Christ's joy in your hearts and souls
having the love given by the Father to Christ in your (followers) hearts
being with Christ (in heaven) to see his glory, and still on the earth too
being dedicated, sanctified, consecrated, and made holy here
being perfectly united (this is the unity of the faith, and the only unity)
This is perhaps the scripture with the greatest hope; and is one of the few times a prayer from Jesus was recorded - and what a prayer it is to us!

Some will say, I don't care what you say, you can't be one with God; that is saying you are equal to God. They said the same to Jesus in his time "For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. " and Jesus replied, "Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; and you want to stone me because I say I am the Son of God?"

Hopefully, you now believe it is possible. Now you need to focus on how it can happen. It requires you to die to self on the cross, for you must loose your fleshly to find your spiritual life. Read the Home page for an overview or go directly to The Missing Cross and the Meditation process. Another view of the same process is detailed in Silent Prayer.

You people are so brainwashed by a book its laughable. You grow up, raised by stories from your parents, you read a book, and suddenly you think its all fact. Hey, I read a book also, its called the Davinci Code, maybe I believe in that book. What makes your book better than mine except that yours is older. Point is, dont believe everything you read.

T-Bor said:
You people are so brainwashed by a book its laughable. You grow up, raised by stories from your parents, you read a book, and suddenly you think its all fact. Hey, I read a book also, its called the Davinci Code, maybe I believe in that book. What makes your book better than mine except that yours is older. Point is, dont believe everything you read.

The difference is the Bible claims to be non-fiction. The Da Vinci code clearly is fiction.

Not that there was really much in it that would shake my faith anyway. Its actually quite dull compared to the first book in the series, Angels and Demons.

The difference is the Bible claims to be non-fiction. The Da Vinci code clearly is fiction.

Not that there was really much in it that would shake my faith anyway. Its actually quite dull compared to the first book in the series, Angels and Demons.

"Claims" being the operative word... ;)

Fisherking said:
our thoughts, words, and actions can be controlled by God through Christ.
I would change this word to "surrendered."

You would like this one guy at my church. His name is Don. It's like he can almost see glory. :thup:

Forum List

Back