Can we all agree that we need to build and modernize our infrastructure?

The US doesn't need more new roads and bridges it needs better electrical grids to carry heavier loads, which means more nuke plants. The grid needs to be redundant ready for emergencies, etc.

Also, the cyber networks both public and private need to be protected bettter. The US is at risk to a major cyber attack from another country or hackers/terrorists.

This stupid storm on the east coast is nothing compared to a cyber attack shutting down our financial system, electrical grid, communications networks, etc nationwide.

If you want to spend money upgrade cyber networks and our electrical grid system to overcome attacks and natural disasters.
Our electrical systems should not even be on the network. It should hold its own private network, inaccessible from the outside. The same with our military and our financial systems should be hardened considerably.

I believe some nation building at home is the way forward for our economy!

They are doing that in every state I've been in, you can't get away from road construction.

That's true in Oregon, too, along the coast.

I want to see us get the debt and deficit going in the opposite direction, for starters, while keeping things patched at "home sweet home." I can handle potholes.

they suck when your doing 70....:eusa_eh:

See how easy that just rolls off the tongue of a freeloader?

LOL

Local communities, cities and states should lead the way. We all need paved roads, strong bridges and a modernize energy infrastructure? How could anyone oppose such.

They can't. All their spare money is going to pay for public employee pensions and welfare.

Our government needs to stiffen up the welfare and public employee pensions requirements. Can't give above market value.

They are doing that in every state I've been in, you can't get away from road construction.

I want to see us get the debt and deficit going in the opposite direction, for starters, while keeping things patched at "home sweet home." I can handle potholes.

Growing our economy is away to reduce the deficit. We spend way to much money on the third world that does nothing for us.
i wont argue with that.....outside of humanitarian aide.....we should stay the fuck out of the 3rd world.....we help many of those Countries and they spit in our faces anyway....

Your point is perfect.....

Infrastructure is fine.....but no going into debt for it.

We're going into debt for 3 reasons
-We're building third world countries up(nation building) with decade long police actions.
-We're bailing out failing businesses with bad business plans.
-We're giving everyone welfare.

Republicans on this board believe it's a waste of money.

Local communities, cities and states should lead the way. We all need paved roads, strong bridges and a modernize energy infrastructure? How could anyone oppose such.

They can't. All their spare money is going to pay for public employee pensions and welfare.

Our government needs to stiffen up the welfare and public employee pensions requirements. Can't give above market value.

All that great infrastructure we have was built before the mid-sixties.

All of that money now goes to the freeloaders.

Foreign aid, and Defense spending, are not the problems:

foreignaid2.jpg

Defense+spending+as+a+percent+of+gdp+1949+-+2009.gif

Last edited:

-We're building third world countries up(nation building) with decade long police actions.

I have a different take.

-Our military is unsustainable
-too many tax cuts for the very wealthy
-lack of meaningful regulations for Wall Street
-lousy access to education
-a political party that believe science is a faith, evolution a lie and climate change a conspiracy
-subsidies for oil companies

You know, I was talking to a Republican at work and he was complaining that the country is giving out free welfare. I told him the "welfare reform" from the early 90's made working mandatory. He said I was wrong. I asked him why Romney was being accused of lying when he said Obama cut the "work requirement"? I asked him what the "work requirement was" and he said, "I don't know". So I said if they are arguing about it, it must be something. Why do you think they were arguing about the work requirement? What does it sound like, "Work Requirement". He said he didn't know.

I can tell you this, those moms who are on welfare and are working depend on "daycare". Republicans want to cut their daycare. I call that "heartless".

ok Sniper explain.....what is your definition of a FREELOADER?....because i know some people who have lost their jobs and these people aint freeloaders....

I have a different take.

-Our military is unsustainable
-too many tax cuts for the very wealthy
-lack of meaningful regulations for Wall Street
-lousy access to education
-a political party that believe science is a faith, evolution a lie and climate change a conspiracy
-subsidies for oil companies

You know, I was talking to a Republican at work and he was complaining that the country is giving out free welfare. I told him the "welfare reform" from the early 90's made working mandatory. He said I was wrong. I asked him why Romney was being accused of lying when he said Obama cut the "work requirement"? I asked him what the "work requirement was" and he said, "I don't know". So I said if they are arguing about it, it must be something. Why do you think they were arguing about the work requirement? What does it sound like, "Work Requirement". He said he didn't know.

I can tell you this, those moms who are on welfare and are working depend on "daycare". Republicans want to cut their daycare. I call that "heartless".

1# the military is necessary as we live in this sick world. China and Russia are looking at anyway they can to destroy us. This is the sad part of life.
2# If we can do it without them transferring that to the consumer.
3# regulations for wall street and the fact cats=good. The problem is when we're regulating small business out of the market.
4# We do need to improve education, but I think the way forward is to pay extra for results. (Maybe bonuses or higher pay the next year). At the college level wouldn't competition destroy the monopoly?
5# You do have a point on this one. I'd love to see the republicans become more PRO science. Pro-space, Pro-research, etc. I just don't think we should be pouring most of it into global warming.
6# I think we should end subsidies across the board.

Shouldn't daycare and schooling be local?

Then you should vote for Democrats for congress and Obama for president; because Republicans have rejected infrastructure spending since Obama proposed it.

Exactly what Obama believes and is working for and the opposite of what Mitt has said he wants.

Well, to be honest, Mitt has just about everything but he DOES work for the 1% and invests in foreign countries instead of his own.

ok Sniper explain.....what is your definition of a FREELOADER?....because i know some people who have lost their jobs and these people aint freeloaders....

The point is, if you look at the expense areas of our government, it isn't foreign aid or defense that has gone thru the roof as a percentage of our wealth spent on it. In fact, both categories are near all-time lows as a percentage of GDP spent on them.

Social spending has gone thru the roof - not foreign aid or defense.

Benefits delivered to a person beyond the limits of a State unemployment insurance program - specifically the extended Federal benefits - are no different than any other welfare program.

Forum List

Back