Can US Manufacturing Survive?

Can US manufacturing survive & how?

• No, cheap labor overseas wins, period.

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Yes, but it will take a lot of government help

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • No, its the global economy stupid

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Yes, consumers w/o jobs aren't consumers

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
Industries with some of the largest increases in GDP over the last 10 years made the gains primarily due to price increases. "Mining value added increased 188 percent from 1995 to 2005 as a result of a 250 percent increase in prices and an 18 percent decline in quantity," notes MAPI. Construction prices increased by 75 percent while output increased by only 18 percent; and education prices were up 73 percent while output was up 17 percent.

Manufacturing continues to shrink as a percentage of U.S. economic activity. | North America > United States from AllBusiness.com

With the US now ranked 12th in college education, it will be a long hard climb back.
Education is only one small contributing factor. You can, right now, achieve an increase to the brain power of this nation by offering immigration increases and streamlining the process for qualified individuals with high education, while closing the door on unskilled labor coming into the country illegally anyway. Shows those coming legally respect as well as provides for our nation's needs.

Although improving education (particularly in k-12) and making college education more economical, will help improve the nation, but that will only occur over time. Unfortunately that is a culture war that will not change till the liberal monoliths currently creating the mess we are in (No such thing as bad student, only bad teacher) are shattered and new ideas on how to educate are allowed to grow. The calcified structures of liberal education failure must die first.

Not quite what rdean may want... but what must occur. (notice rdean. I am treating you well because you have made points worthy of debating. Please continue on this path of reasonable discourse and I will do the same. Get goofy and lolcats will return to torment you.)

Last edited:
Naw build it in another country where it might be nationized or otherwise be disrupted.

Be a greedy bastard and not give anything back to the country that "gave" you the money to invest.

You didn't answer my?
Last time I looked we were a capitalist country.
Investors have to be smart with their $. Investing in lazy workers thatare more interested in benefits than production is why we are where we are at now.
Hate to inform you folks but the economy is A GLOBAL market these days.
Either lead, follow or get the hell out of the way. Unfortunately American workers no longer want to educate themselves to be leaders any more.
My $ follows profits. Profits helps America no matter who builds it.

Naw build it in another country where it might be nationized or otherwise be disrupted.

Be a greedy bastard and not give anything back to the country that "gave" you the money to invest.

You didn't answer my?
Investors have to be smart with their $. Investing in lazy workers thatare more interested in benefits than production is why we are where we are at now.
Either lead, follow or get the hell out of the way. Unfortunately American workers no longer want to educate themselves to be leaders any more.
>cough< George Soros >cough<

Profits built by short selling the dollar and betting against the US or working to undercut American economic efforts can be very profitable.... and do nothing but harm to the US.

You didn't answer my?
>cough< George Soros >cough<

Profits built by short selling the dollar and betting against the US or working to undercut American economic efforts can be very profitable.... and do nothing but harm to the US.

Industries with some of the largest increases in GDP over the last 10 years made the gains primarily due to price increases. "Mining value added increased 188 percent from 1995 to 2005 as a result of a 250 percent increase in prices and an 18 percent decline in quantity," notes MAPI. Construction prices increased by 75 percent while output increased by only 18 percent; and education prices were up 73 percent while output was up 17 percent.

Manufacturing continues to shrink as a percentage of U.S. economic activity. | North America > United States from AllBusiness.com

With the US now ranked 12th in college education, it will be a long hard climb back.
Education is only one small contributing factor. You can, right now, achieve an increase to the brain power of this nation by offering immigration increases and streamlining the process for qualified individuals with high education, while closing the door on unskilled labor coming into the country illegally anyway. Shows those coming legally respect as well as provides for our nation's needs.

Although improving education (particularly in k-12) and making college education more economical, will help improve the nation, but that will only occur over time. Unfortunately that is a culture war that will not change till the liberal monoliths currently creating the mess we are in (No such thing as bad student, only bad teacher) are shattered and new ideas on how to educate are allowed to grow. The calcified structures of liberal education failure must die first.

Not quite what rdean may want... but what must occur. (notice rdean. I am treating you well because you have made points worthy of debating. Please continue on this path of reasonable discourse and I will do the same. Get goofy and lolcats will return to torment you.)

Education is one "small" contributing factor? "Small"?

(No such thing as bad student, only bad teacher) Unless what is being "taught" is "magical creation" or some other occult nonsense. As soon as you delegitimize knowledge because it threatens mystical beliefs, ALL education is delegitimized. We see that now.

All that "liberal elitist" education is what made us number one in science and technology. It obviously worked. The last thirty years has seen that foundation chipped away by the right wing. Now we are seeing the results in our educational system.

The same way they loaded our Justice Department with unqualified law students.

The same way they defanged the EPA and OSHA.

The way they chased many scientists out of government service. This was reported in nearly every, if not all, science and engineering journals for the entire 8 years of the Bush administration.

528-49.gif

It's difficult to not get very mad at the dumbing down of America that has been led by the Right wing for the last 30 years. It's not like they tried to hide it. All you have to do is read the "wedge" document to understand their plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
damn... knew it was a mirage. I was willing to give you a chance rdean. But not when you fall back on your dumbass worthless statistics that have no meaning and less truth.

BARACK! 6% BARACK! Fweet!

Is it because your hairnet is too tight? You can only handle looking at the foil wrapped burgers in the heat lamps at work vacantly for so long before you lose your mind?

CAN you even stay on subject???

damn... knew it was a mirage. I was willing to give you a chance rdean. But not when you fall back on your dumbass worthless statistics that have no meaning and less truth.

BARACK! 6% BARACK! Fweet!

Is it because your hairnet is too tight? You can only handle looking at the foil wrapped burgers in the heat lamps at work vacantly for so long before you lose your mind?

CAN you even stay on subject???

Oh, you gave ME a "chance"?

Look at what you wrote, my dear Turd Blossom:

"Unfortunately that is a culture war that will not change till the liberal monoliths currently creating the mess we are in (No such thing as bad student, only bad teacher) are shattered and new ideas on how to educate are allowed to grow. The calcified structures of liberal education failure must die first."

Liberal education was doing just fine until the right wing fucked it up.

Like I said, the US got to NUMBER 1 in the world in both science and technology until the conservative right fucked everything to pieces. What has the right contributed? NOTHING!

The very nature of conservatism creates NOTHING. Conserve means to "stay the same" and "not change". Those are the direct opposite of education.

So don't you dare say you gave anyone a chance you Conservative Confederate right wing Republican Tea Bagger.

If you had any sense, you would be embarrassed. But I know you're not embarrassed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The calcified structures of liberal education failure must die first."

Yes, and I stand by that statement. You've had 40 years to prove atheist relativist education was superior. It is not. It has failed and produced a generation of stupid people who vote democrat and know nothing of what being a citizen really means.

Liberal education was doing just fine until the right wing fucked it up.
Delusion 1. Liberals have been in charge of most basic and higher learning since the 70's.

Like I said, the US got to NUMBER 1 in the world in both science and technology until the conservative right fucked everything to pieces. What has the right contributed? NOTHING!

Second Delusion. How could they fuck it up when they have little to no control, and according to you even less involvement as students?

Third Delusion. In most cases fields like economics and engineering are loaded with conservatives of one degree or another. Also, there are conservative Colleges such as Liberty, Hillsdale, Bob Jones and others. I believe you were getting your ass spanked so regularly I was assuming you liked it in another thread about excellent Christian colleges before.

The very nature of conservatism creates NOTHING. Conserve means to "stay the same" and "not change". Those are the direct opposite of education.

Fourth Delusion. Conservatism preserves. It protects good traditions and freedom. Progressivism tramples everything not in it's whimsy at the moment, and kills anything that stands in it's way.

So don't you dare say you gave anyone a chance you Conservative Confederate right wing Republican Tea Bagger.

If you had any sense, you would be embarrassed. But I know you're not embarrassed.

I will say what I please. I gave YOU a chance to act like a normal rational person. You, I see now, are incapable of making such a thing possible. From now on I will trust that you may have a lucid moment, but this is not the norm, nor will it last long. You are beneath contempt.

And as for your pallid attempt to shame me... you do not have the stature or the intellect capable of doing such a thing, much less raise such sentiments in others towards me. In this egotistical attitude, I have much confidence for you have proven your character over a long time, as have I.

Last edited:
And you owe nothing to the USA?

You mean the American employee has declared they owe nothing to the USA.
They fucked themselves.
Check the tag on the shoes you are wearing. If it does not say "Made in China" I will kiss your ass.
Under your logic you also owe nothing to the USA.
My first priority is to my family. A lost virtue these days amongst Americans.
I do not like the taste of flag.
I spend ALL of my $ here. Profits KEEP businesses here. Employees forgot about that a long time ago.
The "me" employee must go or sadly put has gone.

Oil imports equals our entire trade imbalance. We compete very effectively in other areas. If we could just end our addiction to foreign oil we would solve the trade deficit problem.

Oil imports equals our entire trade imbalance. We compete very effectively in other areas. If we could just end our addiction to foreign oil we would solve the trade deficit problem.
End EcoNIMBY protectionism in this nation and it will. Till then never.

This country was designed and built around cheap oil.
When cheap oil ends so does our lifestyles.
Western Civ is built around cheap oil. That is why the econazis and progressofascists are trying so hard to deny us cheap energy. In europe they license and tax the crap out of it. In here, we have a government who forces importation and denies the development of domestic resources.

It's all about power and tyranny and evil.

When cheap oil ends so does our lifestyles.[/QUOTE
Did Ben Franklin drive a Bentley or a Rolls?

When nukes first came out they said the "electricity would be too cheap to meter". If the US focused on things like "breeder reactors" (what do you get when you heat and light NYC for one year with 1- wheelbarrow of nuclear fuel?? ans: two wheelbarrows of nuclear fuel)

Renewable energy and nuclear power should be able to replace oil. We also have mass quantities of coal to convert to oil, and seaweed, etc.

When nukes first came out they said the "electricity would be too cheap to meter". If the US focused on things like "breeder reactors" (what do you get when you heat and light NYC for one year with 1- wheelbarrow of nuclear fuel?? ans: two wheelbarrows of nuclear fuel)

Renewable energy and nuclear power should be able to replace oil. We also have mass quantities of coal to convert to oil, and seaweed, etc.

Turns out these things are neither cheap nor have good EROEI.

I posted nothing about Ben Franklin driving a rolls.
Shame on the editing a quote.

Yep. that's why the Navy invested so heavily in converting every major capital ship it could to nuclear power, and every sub. It's so terrible an energy investment comparatively. One fuel up, run at full power for 2-4 years before needing to refuel again. The energy density is just so poor!

And no I don't beleive that EROEI particularly when luminaries like Einstein and Oppenheimer themselves theorized the vast energy available in basic fission.

Free from econazi politics trying to pimp solar as the perfect power on planet (which it ain't till you get up towards 50% total collection in a place that gathers sunlight 24 hours a day or a global energy network, it's the best form of energy out there save hydro. And hydro can't move vehicles except downstream.

Forum List

Back