Can trauma make someone suddenly go gay?

matty

SUMbodyweedemOUT
Jun 17, 2008
I'm new here, just figuring my way around.

I have a loved one who never exhibited signs of being even remotely gay before the individual lost a loved one, tragically, and then immediately after, this person went full throttle homosexual, shockingly.

I have a loved one who never exhibited signs of being even remotely gay before the individual lost a loved one, tragically, and then immediately after, this person went full throttle homosexual, shockingly.

I'm hardly an expert, but here are some guesses (note: I'm assuming the individual is male for ease of sentence structure):

Possibility 1: He freaked out and is trying to be someone he's not because he can't stand being himself right now. (knowing nothing more than what you've told me, this one strikes me as the most likely)

Possibility 2: The sudden shift in his life (and possible confrontation with his own mortality) prompted him to stop pretending to be straight (and perhaps he's over-enthusiastic about it due to the novelty).

Possibility 3: The sudden shift in his life promted him to do some heavy soul-searching, realize, among other things, that he had been denying/misinterpreting his feelings towards certain other males his whole life (for any number of reasons), and decide to embrace those denied longings (perhaps over-enthusiasticly due to the novelty of it).

Possibility 4: A secret government organization is testing their "gay ray" and selected him as a test subject because the recent upheaval in his life would give people plausible reasons to explain away his sudden shift in behavior so they wouldn't suspect clandestine intervention.

This board is starting to have an unusual, and disturbing, increase in interest in being gay. :eusa_eh:

I'm just saying.

I'm new here, just figuring my way around.

Yeth, I jutht bumped my head and now I feel all giddy and gay, my writhtsth are all of a flop and I have thtarted to lithp when I talk an minth when I walk.:eusa_angel:

Yeth, I jutht bumped my head and now I feel all giddy and gay, my writhtsth are all of a flop and I have thtarted to lithp when I talk an minth when I walk.:eusa_angel:

What's this "now" shit?

Shall I point out that talking with a "lithp" does not extend to your fingertips?:cool:

What's this "now" shit?

Shall I point out that talking with a "lithp" does not extend to your fingertips?:cool:

It thertainly doeth, my writhtth hover limply over the keyboard and thtroke the keyth in a lithping effenate way.

I suspect there are plenty of covertly gay people who love their spouses and who remain in their heterosexual unions because of that.

When that spouse they love dies, they come out of the closet.

It's not actually all that rare an event.

Having a gay brother and knowing lots of gay people, no, trauma has nothing to do with it.

It is a female, actually, young.

She was a late bloomer, I remember her being distraught for some time that she felt unattractive, never having even been approached by the opposite sex yet and nearly graduated from school. She voiced being upset--but denies it now--that her friends all had boyfriends, etc., a common thing...

Her (year younger) sister had always been her best friend, her closest everything, much as they fought. She was her world in a way, in spite of many other siblings.

Well, her sister died tragically in a car accident that nearly took her lil' brother, too, and I swear to God, she Immediately went crazy gay.

Things remembered regarding her sentiments toward the opposite beforehand have all been denied when she was addressed with them by some...

And, personally, I think an indoctrination of the youth goes on to some degree, the lonely adolescent is vulnerable. I believe that indoctrination to be both by perpetual accidental forces and purposeful, willful ones.

--Anyway, she was approached by a pretty hardcore lesbian while away at college and went for it.

I think she was drawn into by accident..?

Thanks for trying to help--and to everyone else, sorry I didn't post the thread proper--I do worry about divulging any of it online, so I was just a little nervous about that.

This board is starting to have an unusual, and disturbing, increase in interest in being gay. :eusa_eh:

I'm just saying.

true! the gay issue gets used in politics just to divide people.

on these boards, i suspect it's nothing more than baiting to incite.

Last edited:
I hoped to have a serious discussion, if only for a minute about it, I've been bugged about it for a while.

As for the board getting strangely preoccupied, who posted to me, without any substance behind their motive? That is strange.

I was moved to post by a concern, not fear-mongering.

Anyone sitting primed to pounce on homophobes is taking a Strange interest, unless they're gay themselves.

She's acting out and needs some guidance.
From someone other than a 6'2" female field hockey coach named "Brunhilda".

I hoped to have a serious discussion, if only for a minute about it, I've been bugged about it for a while.

As for the board getting strangely preoccupied, who posted to me, without any substance behind their motive? That is strange.

I was moved to post by a concern, not fear-mongering.

Anyone sitting primed to pounce on homophobes is taking a Strange interest, unless they're gay themselves.

Actually, Loki just has "that kind" of sense of humor. There HAVE been several threads recently on homosexuality.

It's like global warming. No one knows what causes it, but the goofs on either extreme either want to fix it without knowing the cause or condemn it and close their minds to the topic.

Nobody knows what actually causes homosexuality. Every scientific and medical study is preface with "we think" and "could."

People do REALLY stupid stuff when they lose a loved one. Some behave COMPLETELY out of character and do things no one would believe of them. So, IMO, it IS plausible that someone suffering severe enough emotional trauma "could" do something such as engaging in homosexual behavior.

Especially when you factor in the fact your friend is a female. Turning to guys for emotional support during a time of emotional duress is usually about as useful as putting square wheels on a wagon. We are inherently insensitive assholes.

That does not rule out some of the other arguments. She very well could have just come out of the closet. The only person whoi truly may know is your friend, and under emotional duress, she might not even know why.

The only argument here that I rule out are the absolutes. Where is there a rule that says one is either gay or they aren't? Straight people turn gay, and there are some straight people who once believed they were gay. The whole notion that if you "come out of the closet" you were always gay is BS, IMO.

She's acting out and needs some guidance.
From someone other than a 6'2" female field hockey coach named "Brunhilda".

...that still doesn't speak to the truth of what happened, what prompted her--actually being gay or needing an outlet and that happened to be a convenient one at a time she felt alone?..

I can't figure so easily and I was buried in the situation. I'm saddened by it, not knowing.

At the time, I was her first consoler in her sister's death, I held her and later kissed her on the cheek, this was my baby sis-n'-law and the one we'd just lost, I was even closer to her at the time and so I shared in this loss very deeply.--Weird feeling guilty later though cuz' the timing was just really close together; I kissed her, she went gay...*lol.* I know that's my crazy imagination but still...:eusa_shhh:

Actually, Loki just has "that kind" of sense of humor. There HAVE been several threads recently on homosexuality.

It's like global warming. No one knows what causes it, but the goofs on either extreme either want to fix it without knowing the cause or condemn it and close their minds to the topic.

Nobody knows what actually causes homosexuality. Every scientific and medical study is preface with "we think" and "could."

People do REALLY stupid stuff when they lose a loved one. Some behave COMPLETELY out of character and do things no one would believe of them. So, IMO, it IS plausible that someone suffering severe enough emotional trauma "could" do something such as engaging in homosexual behavior.

Especially when you factor in the fact your friend is a female. Turning to guys for emotional support during a time of emotional duress is usually about as useful as putting square wheels on a wagon. We are inherently insensitive assholes.

That does not rule out some of the other arguments. She very well could have just come out of the closet. The only person whoi truly may know is your friend, and under emotional duress, she might not even know why.

The only argument here that I rule out are the absolutes. Where is there a rule that says one is either gay or they aren't? Straight people turn gay, and there are some straight people who once believed they were gay. The whole notion that if you "come out of the closet" you were always gay is BS, IMO.

Ha, Love your GW analogy in the beginning here, that's fun!

I agree with You on the fact nobody Does know, science is all over the place and its like every other issue, everyone scrambling to pull any inane study to support their side of the argument, most often it seems, without real examination.

I don't believe the crap about homosexuality being genetic, though--but that's just me. I tend to believe it's environment.

I really appreciate this post, people Do do really stupid, uncharacteristic stuff during these times. I never could get over the feeling of wanting to save her from herself...

I have a dissenting view from yours on men as opposed to women, here, but it's an interesting sliver to look at, now that you mention it...girls Are especially susceptible during adolescence, it can be very awkward...

Forum List

Back