Can they do that?!

The government setting the minimum wage for any age is not right. The government setting the maximum compensation for any private sector job is not right. Congress giving its members a raise is not right. Many things that the government does are not right.

If Obamacare is good enough for the people, it should be good enough for Congress and the President's family.

There is no such thing as "Obamacare," if the bill passes it will create an elective public option to compete with private insurers. Everyone in the country would then choose their own provider. There would be no policy called "Obamacare," or anything else, that anyone will be forced into.

No, but people will be forced to get insurance even if they don't want to under threat of a $5,000 fine for the uninsured. Sounds like force to me.

Rick

That's very true, I have mixed emotions about that particular aspect of it. On one hand, it would certainly lower rates by spreading risk over a larger plane, much the way a group rate does (as well as keeping uninsured out of the E.R. for the rest of us to pay for). On the other, it's certainly an infringement on an individual's choice.

I believe there's a lower income limit, under which people would not be required to be insured. Does ne1 know what that limit is?

☭proletarian☭;2020149 said:
Legislation approved by the House Commerce Committee would set the minimum wage for anyone younger than 22 at 75 percent of what adults are required to be paid. With the state minimum wage at $7.25 an hour, that translates out to $5.44.
I thought anyone over 18 was a legal adult, for one?!

Bill would cut minimum wage to $5.44
The 22 might be in response to the fact that if a person is full time college, they can still be considered dependent upon their parents.

This is a bad law though. I'm opposed to minimum wage to begin with, but if you have to have minimum wage, it should be set the same for everyone.

Legislation approved by the House Commerce Committee would set the minimum wage for anyone younger than 22 at 75 percent of what adults are required to be paid. With the state minimum wage at $7.25 an hour, that translates out to $5.44.

First off, it does not seem legal to differentiate between adult workers.

Second it encourages employers to fire someone when they reach 22 rather than raise their salary by $1.81 an hour

This is certainly a good point, and I expect you're correct.

But let's face the fact, that if some bozo 21 year old is flipping hamburgers for $5.44/hr one day, and thinks he's worth $1.81/hr to flip hamburgers the next, then he deserves to be fired.

The wise employer will hire illegal labor, and pay them whatever-the-hell they'll take, regardless of age.

Well I'll be watching this to see who votes for it and who doesn't. Whoever does won't be getting my vote. Thanks to the OP for the heads up this went right past my radar. I can see that alot of fast food resturaunts will be dropping 22+ year olds if this thing passes. The government comes up with alot of stupid ideas, I tell you.

THANK GOD I MAKE FAR MORE THEN MINIMUM WAGE.

How about we just lower all Minimum wage jobs to that rate?

It took over ten years to get the minimum wage increased

Now Republicans want to turn it back.........I guess they can't function without slave labor

"Francisco's Money Speech" by Ayn Rand -- Capitalism Magazine
"The rotter who simpers that he sees no difference between the power of the dollar and the power of the whip, ought to learn the difference on his own hide-- as, I think, he will."
-Francisco d'Anconia

The 22 might be in response to the fact that if a person is full time college, they can still be considered dependent upon their parents.

This is a bad law though. I'm opposed to minimum wage to begin with, but if you have to have minimum wage, it should be set the same for everyone.

Yeah, the f-ed up part about that is I know 14-year-olds who are working just to keep the people they're dependent upon afloat.

Unfortunetly not everyone lives the wonderful lives of the rich and the famous like the senators and they're spoiled little children, which is why I personally believe all members of congress should live off of minimum wage and the rest of their wages should be based on them working for tips from their constituents.

Yeah, the f-ed up part about that is I know 14-year-olds who are working just to keep the people they're dependent upon afloat.

Unfortunetly not everyone lives the wonderful lives of the rich and the famous like the senators and they're spoiled little children, which is why I personally believe all members of congress should live off of minimum wage and the rest of their wages should be based on them working for tips from their constituents.
That may be. But it is not the problem of the whole world if the parents are such fuck ups that they need to be supported by their 14 year old children. They should, in fact, be jailed for neglect and the children given to the arms of people who will love and raise them.

That may be. But it is not the problem of the whole world if the parents are such fuck ups that they need to be supported by their 14 year old children. They should, in fact, be jailed for neglect and the children given to the arms of people who will love and raise them.

You mean single mothers who's husbands died or ran out on them and already have to take two jobs to feed their two kids? Yeup go ahead take their kids. I'm very anti-gun control, I sincerely hope and pray the social workers you send in get three bullets: one in the ass, one in the throat and one in the back of the head.:eusa_angel:

It took over ten years to get the minimum wage increased

Now Republicans want to turn it back.........I guess they can't function without slave labor

Why on earth do we need both Federal and State minimum wages? do away with the Federal minimum wage and let the States decide if or how much of one they want.

You mean single mothers who's husbands died or ran out on them and already have to take two jobs to feed their two kids? Yeup go ahead take their kids. I'm very anti-gun control, I sincerely hope and pray the social workers you send in get three bullets: one in the ass, one in the throat and one in the back of the head.:eusa_angel:
We have programs for that, don't we? In addition, life has hardships. People either rise above them or allow themselves to be destroyed by them.

The one reality here is that if you give up, you will always remain wallowed in your own tragedy.

As long as you fit in that category as well and take the hit.

Why on earth would I choose to take a minimum wage job or stay with one? Minimum wage jobs arent designed to be something long term. They are designed to be a stepping stone to something better.

Did the minimum wage crap when i was in college.

As long as you fit in that category as well and take the hit.

Why on earth would I choose to take a minimum wage job or stay with one? Minimum wage jobs arent designed to be something long term. They are designed to be a stepping stone to something better.

Did the minimum wage crap when i was in college.
They don't seem to get that. Minimum wage for Me was 2.30 an hour when I first entered the workforce.

A person who is 35 with 6 kids still working for minimum wage has bigger problems then a national wage limit.

We have programs for that, don't we? In addition, life has hardships. People either rise above them or allow themselves to be destroyed by them.

The one reality here is that if you give up, you will always remain wallowed in your own tragedy.

Yeup, hardship sure does happen, and it never hurts to have a 14 year old who can work and help out around the house either. All I'm saying. Assuming all teenagers are working because they want a new pair of shoes from the mall is an elitist position.

I'm not sure where I stand on minimum wage laws, but this idea really isn't smart at all.

Forum List

Back