Can there be Pharmaceuticals in your Water?

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
There just may be:

AP IMPACT: Tons of released drugs taint US water

U.S. manufacturers, including major drugmakers, have legally released at least 271 million pounds of pharmaceuticals into waterways that often provide drinking water — contamination the federal government has consistently overlooked, according to an Associated Press investigation.

Hundreds of active pharmaceutical ingredients are used in a variety of manufacturing, including drugmaking: For example, lithium is used to make ceramics and treat bipolar disorder; nitroglycerin is a heart drug and also used in explosives; copper shows up in everything from pipes to contraceptives.

There just may be:

U.S. manufacturers, including major drugmakers, have legally released at least 271 million pounds of pharmaceuticals into waterways that often provide drinking water — contamination the federal government has consistently overlooked, according to an Associated Press investigation.

Hundreds of active pharmaceutical ingredients are used in a variety of manufacturing, including drugmaking: For example, lithium is used to make ceramics and treat bipolar disorder; nitroglycerin is a heart drug and also used in explosives; copper shows up in everything from pipes to contraceptives.

That would explain some of the posts here.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4HMG3lMM9k&feature=PlayList&p=516204EED1E36A94&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=53[/ame]

Many areas use to fluoridate their water, and some still do. Wouldn't put it past them to add other stuff as well.

Let me toss this one out:

If you watched the video, it spoke about some male fish in Colorado that had been turning female, and this was traced back to estrogen in the water (Birth control pills).

Could it be that the feminization of western civilization is related to the introduction and use of birth control pills starting in the 50s?:confused:

Of course this is highly speculative and probably not true, the concentrations of the drugs are really low. But biological protiens are very powerful, and if it can change fish from male to female, what can it do to humans at the same dose?

Can it change the brain structure of a fetus such that a male fetus desires to mate with males instead of females?

This is a scary pandoras' box we have opened, all so that we could have a good time and not be "burdened" with children.

Last edited:
my water supply comes from a deep well, with a very good filter but I suppose well water can become contaminated also.

now now luissa, call me if that happens....well water is normally easily contaiminated...all pollutants filter downwards into the water table...your well water is not just coming from your land....we dont have a well due to the pollluntants from the christmas tree growers...they will not admit this but avery county has odd "cancer clusters"..when my son did that damned science project in middle school...i suggested he go around and test the streams near the large farms...hubby vetoed that right off the bat...

we have spring water...and we even filter that....

i dont trust city water at all..but most bottled waters are simply out of a tap

my water supply comes from a deep well, with a very good filter but I suppose well water can become contaminated also.

Actually, that's the safest way to do it. In the city they excessively chlorinate the water, have to boil it anyway to get more of the chlorine out or it tastes like pool water, and even then it doesn't taste quite right.

There just may be:

That would explain some of the posts here.

:lol::lol::lol:

Omg, this isn't about a conspiracy to drug the public. It's about using the toilet to dispense of medications. Something hospitals, group homes, mental institutions, prisons, juvenile facilities, foster care homes have been doing FOR YEARS.

When I worked as a group home PM we dispensed of meds by dumping them down the toilet. There was a procedure to it.

A couple of years ago, they started actually testing for those drugs in the water and guess what? There they are. Of COURSE they are.

So now the drug destruction has to be done some other way. I don't know how yet. They advertise mixing them with kitty litter and bagging them up and sending them to the dump now..I don't know if you're supposed to use USED kitty litter, or empty the capsules, or wet them, or what. And while that will help with city water, it's not going to prevent ground water contamination.

I can tell you how many thousands of pills and other meds I've dumped down the toilet about 30 feet from the river in my old job. Though of course we were on city sewer, so it went to the water purification facility. Unfortunately, most of those chemicals can't be eliminated using the processes and filters used at the city water processing place.

Salud, have some soma.

Omg, this isn't about a conspiracy to drug the public. It's about using the toilet to dispense of medications. Something hospitals, group homes, mental institutions, prisons, juvenile facilities, foster care homes have been doing FOR YEARS.

When I worked as a group home PM we dispensed of meds by dumping them down the toilet. There was a procedure to it.

A couple of years ago, they started actually testing for those drugs in the water and guess what? There they are. Of COURSE they are.

So now the drug destruction has to be done some other way. I don't know how yet. They advertise mixing them with kitty litter and bagging them up and sending them to the dump now..I don't know if you're supposed to use USED kitty litter, or empty the capsules, or wet them, or what. And while that will help with city water, it's not going to prevent ground water contamination.

I can tell you how many thousands of pills and other meds I've dumped down the toilet about 30 feet from the river in my old job. Though of course we were on city sewer, so it went to the water purification facility. Unfortunately, most of those chemicals can't be eliminated using the processes and filters used at the city water processing place.

Salud, have some soma.
You probably have a point there. I used to dump meds down the drain also, never thought about it that way. Like you said it was our policy to dump them down a drain or toilet. When someone died or the meds were outdated we would have to go with the nurse to dump all kinds of med. The nurses from hospice have alittle better way with at least liquid meds, they had a container with kitty litter they dumped them into, so unless you want to eat kitty litter it is a pretty safe way to get rid of it.

Depending on how the garbage is destroyed. If it's burned, one wonders where the chemicals go...undoubtedly into the earth, where they eventually will end up in the ground water.

Salud, have some soma.

Conspiracy is a bit harsh of a description, but you must admit adding in those things that are actually "added" does make the discussion more interesting. Problem is that there isn't much to debate here on the OP, it's fact and no one can dispute it. Just as you posted fact and anyone who tries to dispute that would look a fool.

Depending on how the garbage is destroyed. If it's burned, one wonders where the chemicals go...undoubtedly into the earth, where they eventually will end up in the ground water.
true I guess. So really what can they do? Plus I don't think there is enough of these drugs in the system to do much harm.

Recycle them?

They used to tell you to take your meds to the pharmacy where you got them, when they were outdated, or needed to be disposed of.

And they flushed them down the toilet.

Best solutions ...

1. Stop letting doctors prescribe meds for everything.

2. Stop pharmacies, hospitals, etc. from over stocking on the meds.

That's ridiculous.

#1, as far as I'm aware, the pharmacies don't overstock on ANYTHING. Anyone who has dealt with meds knows they're always running out of whatever it is you need, or "owing" you the rest of your prescription. It just happened with me this month. They were short on naproxen (anti-inflammatory).

And good luck getting "too many" of any of the kinds of drugs that are for pain, anxiety, stress disorder or bi-polar glitches.

#2...you wouldn't be so glib about "prescribing meds" for everything if you were in intense physical pain every day of the week, or dying of cancer, or suffering from anxiety disorder. Do you know how much better off we are since the advent of antibiotics? People used to die from sinus infections. They still do, but not like they used to. People would die from an earrache...kids died in droves. Hideous painful deaths.

Forum List

Back