Can There Be A Compromise on Minimum Wage?

Glensather

Gothic Vampires
Nov 10, 2012
World 1-1
The left wants 15.00 an hour, and the right doesn't want an increase at all, right? (Am I missing something?)

So is there a middle ground people are willing to reach? Personally, living in the South, where people get by on about 7.25/hour just fine (so long as they're single anyway), I don't see much reason to increase it to 15.00/hour.

So how about meet in the middle? 10/hour? 9/hour?

The reason I ask this is because I fear that if no compromise as such is made Obama will just freight train a 15.00/hour minimum wage policy.

(Incidentally, I make 12.00/hour and I'm considered upper-middle class.)

The left wants 15.00 an hour, and the right doesn't want an increase at all, right? (Am I missing something?)

So is there a middle ground people are willing to reach? Personally, living in the South, where people get by on about 7.25/hour just fine (so long as they're single anyway), I don't see much reason to increase it to 15.00/hour.

The reason I ask this is because I fear that if no compromise as such is made Obama will just freight train a 15.00/hour minimum wage policy.

I thought the left wanted $10.10 per hour?

I make 12/hour and my wife makes 10/hour. Not only do we get by with power, water, food, gas, car/insurance, phone, and 2 kids, we usually have some left by the end of the week.

If you're upper middle class at 12.00 bucks an hour then I'm a gazzillionaire.
What are you sixteen? Nobody in their right mind considers 12.00 bucks an hour as upper middle class. Shit,thats poverty level money.

I make 12/hour and my wife makes 10/hour. Not only do we get by with power, water, food, gas, car/insurance, phone, and 2 kids, we usually have some left by the end of the week.

Even if you combine your wages you are nowhere near upper middle class.
I consider upper middle class to start around 150,000 a year. And even that depends on where you live.

Last edited:
ah ha, i see.
I don't think anyone here makes more than about 80k. Actually I know for a fact that the richest person in my county makes about 75k a year running his business.

According to this I'm middle middle, not poverty; my wife and I together bring home about 45k a year.

ah ha, i see.
I don't think anyone here makes more than about 80k. Actually I know for a fact that the richest person in my county makes about 75k a year running his business.

I guess if you want to break it down by county I can see where you're getting your numbers.
A better way is to look at buying power. What county and state do you live in?

According to this I'm middle middle, not poverty; my wife and I together bring home about 45k a year.

I was going by your initial number of 12.00 bucks an hour.
At 45K that puts you at lower middle class which isnt bad at all depending on where you live. If you lived in NY you'd be living in a cardboard box.:lol:

Which is why I love the south myself. You can live pretty well down here for 45k,the wife and I did it for a good while.

At 45K that puts you at lower middle class which isnt bad at all depending on where you live. If you lived in NY you'd be living in a cardboard box.:lol:

Which is why I love the south myself. You can live pretty well down here for 45k,the wife and I did it for a good while.

Haha, yeah, I don't understand how my mom lives in Maryland at all. I couldn't imagine paying a thousand a month for rent.

Dade, GA. About four hours from atlanta.

For Dade county your not doing to bad then. Your 10k over the median income.

Yeah, like I said, we're fairly well off. But I also understand that I'm fairly lucky in this region. Most people here are poor. Trailers that are mansions to them and all that.

Haha, yeah, I don't understand how my mom lives in Maryland at all. I couldn't imagine paying a thousand a month for rent.

Dade, GA. About four hours from atlanta.

For Dade county your not doing to bad then. Your 10k over the median income.

Yeah, like I said, we're fairly well off. But I also understand that I'm fairly lucky in this region. Most people here are poor. Trailers that are mansions to them and all that.

Never rent if you can avoid it. To rent or make payments in my neighborhood would run you around 5,500 a month minimum. Save that money and pay cash. It took going through three or four houses to get there but you'll eventually be able to pay for it outright.

I think the more pressing question is why do we accept this continual need to raise the minimum wage? It's a complicated issue because it has more to do with monetary policy than anything else. Prior to 1913, there was no inflation. That was the year the Federal Reserve was created. In less than 20 years, they had managed to engineer the Great Depression. It was the same story as the most recent economic crisis. The banks run wild and Fed prints money to bail them out. Most fault the Fed of the 1930s for not printing enough money but that's another story.

The banks and those who support them in government don't want to raise the minimum wage because it will cause inflation. If there is too much inflation, the Fed will have to stop giving free, newly created money to their member banks. People don't realize that unless money gets into the hands of lots of people it cannot cause generalized inflation. It can cause asset price bubbles like in the stock market but until the lower classes get a raise inflation will remain acceptable to the country.

Forum List

Back