Can the US afford that $5tr?

Saigon

Gold Member
May 4, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
Where will the $5 trillion to find Romney's tax plan come from?

Fairly obviously it isn't all going to come from closing the odd loophole....

Can the US really afford to borrow another $5 trillion?

America made a terrible mistake in 2008 in fact it can be spelled out as

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America
Now is the time to fix the mistake

Big Reb -

I think you may have acidentally posted that on the wrong thread.

THIS thread is about the US$5 trillion that Romney's tax plan is expected to cost.

What five trillion would you be speaking of? The five trillion dollars in tax cuts that the Obama campaign "says" that Romney has proposed? Didn't you get the memo on that, Saigon? Turns out the President and all the rest of you have been lying about that figure just like you've been lying about Romney planning to destroy Medicare and Social Security.

Just keep repeating it though, little buddy...maybe "someone" will believe you....

And why is the "Romney Plan" expected to cost 5 trillion? Because it sounded like a good number when progressives made it up.

And why is the "Romney Plan" expected to cost 5 trillion? Because it sounded like a good number when progressives made it up.

Actually no - this figure was put forward by more than one research company and quoted widely in the media here.

Of course you can say the international media are pasrt of some evil conspiracy, but I think it is more likely that the $5 trillion figure is fairly accurate.

Actually no - this figure was put forward by more than one research company and quoted widely in the media here.

Of course you can say the international media are pasrt of some evil conspiracy, but I think it is more likely that the $5 trillion figure is fairly accurate.
You are not really that bright, are you?

LOL...I know that it's a figure that's been "quoted widely in the media", Saigon because it's the figure that the Obama Camp has been feeding them to quote. You think the 5 trillion figure is "fairly accurate"? How noble of you considering you're discussing something that's a number made up by progressives.

LOL...I know that it's a figure that's been "quoted widely in the media", Saigon because it's the figure that the Obama Camp has been feeding them to quote. You think the 5 trillion figure is "fairly accurate"? How noble of you considering you're discussing something that's a number made up by progressives.

Another con with a bad case of dipshititis. You can't cut taxes nearly 30% and think they will be revenue neutral without putting an end to a massive amount of deductions and credits. Since Romney can't tell us what deductions and credits he plans to put an end to, we have to assume that revenues will drop by close to $5 trillion over ten years. Secondly, the only way to remove enough deductions and credits is to go after the ones that the middle class and lower income earners count on the most. This is transfer of wealth from the poor and middle class to the super wealthy. Anyone who doesn't see this is brain dead. Cons trying to con us again.

What drives me nuts about stupid ideas like this is that many who will support this nonsense will be on the losing end if it goes through.

Well, with Big Bird off the dole that ought to save 0.0002%. :clap2:

Another con with a bad case of dipshititis. You can't cut taxes nearly 30% and think they will be revenue neutral without putting an end to a massive amount of deductions and credits. Since Romney can't tell us what deductions and credits he plans to put an end to, we have to assume that revenues will drop by close to $5 trillion over ten years. Secondly, the only way to remove enough deductions and credits is to go after the ones that the middle class and lower income earners count on the most. This is transfer of wealth from the poor and middle class to the super wealthy. Anyone who doesn't see this is brain dead. Cons trying to con us again.

What drives me nuts about stupid ideas like this is that many who will support this nonsense will be on the losing end if it goes through.

30%? Where did you get a tax cut of 30% from? LOL What's with you progressives just pulling numbers out of your nether regions and demanding to be told how Romney is going to make THAT work? Are you trying to assume the role of Stephanie Cutter on the board, Auditor?

I believe the number you're looking for is 20%?

As for how you make up the loss of revenues from tax cuts? I believe if you look closely at the Reagan tax cuts you'll see that although Reagan cut taxes substantially that tax revenues were down only a negligible amount because his policies spurred so much economic growth. You progressives never want to talk about economic growth though...do you? Of course, I can understand WHY it's a sore subject under this President.

As for how you make up the loss of revenues from tax cuts? I believe if you look closely at the Reagan tax cuts you'll see that although Reagan cut taxes substantially that tax revenues were down only a negligible amount because his policies spurred so much economic growth. You progressives never want to talk about economic growth though...do you? Of course, I can understand WHY it's a sore subject under this President.

So economic growth will produce $5 trillion in extra tax revenues?

Really?

btw, I am not a "progressive".

Democrats didn't seem to give a crap about all the
deficit spending and debt with Obama running the show...:D

His plan is to impose additional taxation on the working classes.

No shit, I think the man is completely forking nuts, too, but what can I say?

The Romney plan is basically more spending and borrowing to pay for tax breaks for billionaires just as it always is when the Republicans take control.

Democrats didn't seem to give a crap about all the
deficit spending and debt with Obama running the show...:D

I think what you mean is that many may not admit it - but I think it is a given that any thinking American, regardless of their politics, has been concerned about the deficit for at least a decade now.

This does not explain why people would now back a scheme to make the deficit worse.

Oh the old, "Moveon.org and the media told me it was so", line. Well, there you have it.

I'm not voting for Romney, but please tell me you are not so gullible as to believe what these organizations are telling you.

Immie

Immanuel -

I'm not gulllible to believe everything the media say is a lie. It's a case of being sensible with selecting media sources.

This is from Businessweek:

I asked the experts at the Tax Policy Center, a joint project of the Brookings Institution and the Urban Institute. The Tax Policy Center has been accused by some Republicans of being unfair to Romney, but its goal is to be nonpartisan and its methodology is straightforward: It just adds up the numbers.

Romney issued a more aggressive tax-cutting plan in March that would cut individual income tax rates an additional 20 percent. It involved, as Obama correctly said, approximately $5 trillion in reduced tax receipts over 10 years.

But the numbers don’t add up. An August analysis by the Tax Policy Center found it was mathematically impossible (PDF) for Romney to simultaneously cut taxes on upper-income households, keep middle-income tax burdens from rising, and prevent an increase in the budget deficit.

The Real Story About Romney

Good grief, here we go again. This is like the phony Big Bird hysteria.

A) It's not a five trillion dollar tax cut, even Wasserman-Schultz or one of those other whackos have already admitted this. It was a number made up entirely by guesses. It's not a five trillion dollar fucking tax cut, that was debunked long ago. God damn this board is nuts.

B) The Democrats are simply mystified by dynamic scoring. It's like a genetic thing with them, they just don't see it. They've convinced themselves that a tax cut somehow takes that money out of the economy. The idea of a tax cut is that the saved funds (which don't "belong" to the government in the first fucking place) stimulate spending and growth, thereby making the resulting economic activity larger than the tax cut on a macro level.

I'm not even freaking voting for Romney. I'm not even a big fan of his tax plan. But fer chrissake, one of the these days my head is gonna freakin' explode from the simplistic, intellectually dishonest, obtuse crap I read here.

Forum List

Back