Can Texas be put in play?

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Democrats Launch Plan to Make Texas a Swing State

National Democrats "are taking steps to create a large-scale independent group aimed at turning traditionally conservative Texas into a prime electoral battleground, crafting a new initiative to identify and mobilize progressive voters in the rapidly-changing state," Politico reports.

"The organization, dubbed 'Battleground Texas,' plans to engage the state's rapidly growing Latino population, as well as African-American voters and other Democratic-leaning constituencies that have been underrepresented at the ballot box in recent cycles.

National Democrats "are taking steps to create a large-scale independent group aimed at turning traditionally conservative Texas into a prime electoral battleground, crafting a new initiative to identify and mobilize progressive voters in the rapidly-changing state," Politico reports.

"The organization, dubbed 'Battleground Texas,' plans to engage the state's rapidly growing Latino population, as well as African-American voters and other Democratic-leaning constituencies that have been underrepresented at the ballot box in recent cycles.

IMO, it's only a matter of time. Demographics show that the Latino population is expanding, even if there isn't a single new immigrant. Doesn't look good for the Republicans in Texas going forward. I don't see it in '16 or '20, but it's coming.

IMO, it's only a matter of time. Demographics show that the Latino population is expanding, even if there isn't a single new immigrant. Doesn't look good for the Republicans in Texas going forward. I don't see it in '16 or '20, but it's coming.

The Hispanic population will be a key player in moving Texas from red to purple. What will happen when illegal Mexican immigrants become legal in the next ten years? The black vote will remain fairly constant.

Another factor is migration from other states and from rural areas to urban centers like Dallas, Houston and Austin

Democrats need to do the groundwork now so that ten years from now they will be able to influence Texas

Last edited:
I'm sure Democraps are registering Mexicans that live in Texas for the next election....and they are making sure every black living in the ghetto is registered too, even if they have felonies.

That's why the joke is on the Democrats. Mexican culture is heavily religious, and Tejanos are at least equally as likely to back Republicans as they are Democrats, feeling that the "values vote" outweights whatever other issues that may be on the table.

The Hispanic population will be a key player in moving Texas from red to purple. What will be the impact in Texas if illegal Mexicans become legal in ten years? The black vote will remain fairly constant.

Another factor is migration from other states and from rural areas to urban centers like Dallas, Houston and Austin

Democrats need to do the groundwork now so that ten years from now they will be able to influence Texas

I agree that urbanization bodes well for Democrats right now, and racial demographics seem to be favoring Democratic Party right now. But I think you also have to look at age. The most elderly voters are the only age group the GOP is consistently winning. As they die off, they are being replaced by younger voters who are much more socially progressive that the current Republican Party.

If the GOP doesn't make some significant platform modifications, they are going to have an increasingly tough time attracting younger voters. And that's happening in every state.

But I also thing personalities drive a lot of politics. If the GOP can promote a very charismatic leader who can do a good job of articulating and selling the GOP position, they can make a comeback regardless of demographics.

That's why the joke is on the Democrats. Mexican culture is heavily religious, and Tejanos are at least equally as likely to back Republicans as they are Democrats, feeling that the "values vote" outweights whatever other issues that may be on the table.

Absolutely true.

That is why Republicans have to make sure their rhetoric and policies do not alienate Hispanics

Do you think they can do it?

That's often said, but it didn't show in the last election. Latinos proved to be more concerned by their perceived treatment by Republicans than by values. Maybe that will change in the future, but that will require a basic shift in Republican attitudes, which I don't see happening.

Instead of worrying about what states might become "purple" or "blue" states, you liberals should be much more worried about which states are going to decide ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, secede from the United States, and take this country back, by force.

Texas will NEVER be a leftist state. "Don't mess with Texas" is not just a cute phrase. It's a way of life, and a battle cry.

There are millions of illegals in Texas and you keep talking about getting the "expanding" hispanic vote which is a lot of the illegals.

Only an asswipe like you would deny Democraps won't put Jose Manuel the illegal on some voter rolls to flood the system hoping he can slip by for votes.

I'm sure Democraps are registering Mexicans that live in Texas for the next election....and they are making sure every black living in the ghetto is registered too, even if they have felonies.

No wonder the Republican Party is expanding, their public relations is just so AWESOME!!! :lol:

As soon as they can effectively disenfranchise Hispanics and other minorities and convince them that they will take care of them for life and that Conservatives want to eat their babies and rape their women, Texas, like many other states will be in the bag.

Our once great Republic is toast... stupidity seems to be reigning supreme

Last edited:
Absolutely true.

That is why Republicans have to make sure their rhetoric and policies do not alienate Hispanics

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. It doesn't matter what their rhetoric is on every other issue. There are alot of Tejanos who simply won't care about much anything else other than the GOP's religious rhetoric. As long as they keep thumping the bible, the GOP can continue to complain about illegal immigration being a major problem. All they have to do is toss an occasional bone, like Perry's Dream Act.

Instead of worrying about what states might become "purple" or "blue" states, you liberals should be much more worried about which states are going to decide ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, secede from the United States, and take this country back, by force.

Texas will NEVER be a leftist state. "Don't mess with Texas" is not just a cute phrase. It's a way of life, and a battle cry.

Texas will not be messed with from the outside but from the inside

You do not get to define what Texas is..........Its people do

Absolutely true.

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. It doesn't matter what their rhetoric is on every other issue. There are alot of Tejanos who simply won't care about much anything else other than the GOP's religious rhetoric. As long as they keep thumping the bible, the GOP can continue to complain about illegal immigration being a major problem. All they have to do is toss an occasional bone, like Perry's Dream Act.

Illegal immigration is a major problem and frankly, a major national security issue. What's wrong with acknowledging the obvious?

Oh, that's right.. we can't offend anyone.

Absolutely true.

Maybe so

But I think people want respect.

Republicans passing laws demanding English as an Official language
Passing laws demanding document checks from legal citizens
Passing school curriculums which demean Hispanic culture
Restricting immigration initiatives and a path to citizenship

All will push Hispanic voters to the left

Forum List

Back