can someone prove that god exists?

not being brought up with religion, I have a hard time believing in the stuff. however I spoke to my brother a couple of days ago and he tells me that he believes because too many bad things happened in his past that if some supernatural being didn't have any input he would have been dead a hundred times over. now he sounds like one of those born again christians. he still curses and stuff but he's a christian! so does anyone have any hard evidence that god exist? don't tell me it's faith. I can have faith everytime I purchase a lotto ticket. but that isn't going to guarantee me winning.

no.

thanks for asking

my brother told me to get a book that was written by a ny times writer who tried to research that god didn't exists but eventually ended up believing. I just orded it from the library and when I get done i'll repost.

not being brought up with religion, I have a hard time believing in the stuff. however I spoke to my brother a couple of days ago and he tells me that he believes because too many bad things happened in his past that if some supernatural being didn't have any input he would have been dead a hundred times over. now he sounds like one of those born again christians. he still curses and stuff but he's a christian! so does anyone have any hard evidence that god exist? don't tell me it's faith. I can have faith everytime I purchase a lotto ticket. but that isn't going to guarantee me winning.

I can but people would swarm me and stuff. I can't take the risk.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
my brother told me to get a book that was written by a ny times writer who tried to research that god didn't exists but eventually ended up believing. I just orded it from the library and when I get done i'll repost.

Fare thee well on your quest. I doubt you'll learn anything you couldn't figure out with some basic CTS. But still, fare thee well.

I have no proof God exists, that's why it's called faith.

My dad, who is a Mormon, says "We're not any better than anyone else, just forgiven".

No. God can be neither proved, nor disproved.

Why not?

I think we've been here before QW :)

I'll give the same answer now I gave then (assuming I'm right that you have asked this before and I responded) : God's existence cannot be proven because god has not been properly defined. People have various definitions for god, most of them very vague (because it is generally a concept beyond human comprehension), so unless god is given a definition that allows for proof, here we are.

Perhaps one day that will change and we will be able to prove the existence of god(s) (or perhaps it will be proven to us). Disproving the existence of god(s), as tends to be the case when attempting to prove a negative, is a much less likely proposition.

That is actually a good answer, and I do recall seeing it before. I would like to point out that, if God exists, our definition of Him is irrelevant. Our inability to define something is not going to prevent us from finding proof of its existence. In fact, it often works the other way around. We find something and have to define and explain it, X-rays is one example that comes to mind.

No. God can be neither proved, nor disproved.

Why not?

I'll give the same answer now I gave then (assuming I'm right that you have asked this before and I responded) : God's existence cannot be proven because god has not been properly defined. People have various definitions for god, most of them very vague (because it is generally a concept beyond human comprehension), so unless god is given a definition that allows for proof, here we are.

Perhaps one day that will change and we will be able to prove the existence of god(s) (or perhaps it will be proven to us). Disproving the existence of god(s), as tends to be the case when attempting to prove a negative, is a much less likely proposition.

I completely agree with you that God cannot be proven because God has not been properly defined. That's why I started a thread on "what is God?"

That is actually a good answer, and I do recall seeing it before. I would like to point out that, if God exists, our definition of Him is irrelevant. Our inability to define something is not going to prevent us from finding proof of its existence. In fact, it often works the other way around. We find something and have to define and explain it, X-rays is one example that comes to mind.

I think that is both true and perhaps not true at the same time, QW. You are right, finding some sort of proof is in no way limited by our definition. However, it could have an effect on what we label the thing we find proof of to be. In other words, if we find proof of, say, a force which is responsible for the creation of life (perhaps we are able to see it occur on another planet, I don't know, this is hypothetical off the top of my head :)), while some might see it as proof of god, other might not because it doesn't fit with their own definition of what god is. Even if we go so far as to find proof of an intelligence which created the universe, if that intelligence is not what people's faith tells them to expect, they could easily say it is not god; perhaps a demi-god, or false god, who knows.

Personally, I think that if there is a god along the lines of the Abrahamic religions, it is unlikely we will ever have the means to prove it. The concept is so far outside the parameters of our existence I don't know if it will ever be possible, whatever scientific advancements are made. Then again, I probably can't imagine the kinds of advancements we may eventually make, or perhaps god will one day want to be proven and make it possible, or perhaps there is a god(s) that are not so far outside human existence and proving it would be easier.

Last edited:
I'm no expert on scams but I have observed that the victim of a confidence scheme is a willing participant. These people are blinded by foolish greed. What does that have to do with the existence of God? Almost everything.

It is the old "something for nothing" game. What do Christians and the other God-based religions ask for? Next to nothing. Just say you believe and you will go to heaven. I say "say" you believe and not "give yourself totally" for two reasons. The weight of Numbers...and it is impossible to verify what is in any individuals heart. The more people that "claim" something ...the more credibility it gathers.

I do not know the exact numbers..I doubt anyone does but they say 60% of Americans claim to be Christian. How many actually believe in a Fundamentalist way all of the dogma with their complete confidence? One in a hundred? ... One in ten? Much of the argument in support of the existence of God is "How could so many people be wrong?" If only 6% of Americans actually believe whole hog in a Christian Fundamentalist dogma and the other 54% are just going along to get along or hedging their bets on the possibility of an afterlife then that clearly changes the truth on whether God really exists or is just the pot of gold a lot of people are foolishly chasing. As in all "gold rushes" about 1% actually find gold and the rest just get swept up by "gold fever" and get nothing.

There is only one good argument that I know of that 'proves' the existence of "GOD"

#1-Humans are not responsible for everything that exists.
#2-Something is.
#3-Whatever it was is debatable but we should call it "GOD"!

*this does not mean "GOD" is a conscious deity!

I agree that nobody can prove "God" exists because nobody knows who/what "God" is. I was never a believer in reincarnation but started reading about the afterlife, life before life, and books by Michael Newton on our Souls and find these books facinating, that we are only in a physical body temporarily and that our real selves are made up of energy, which lives on and returns again and again to learn from our previous journeys we had in past lives. There seems to have been too many people who had near-death experiences, or people who died and came back with similar experiences before being revived, which seems to be nearer to any proof of higher being(s).

Forum List

Back