Can someone PLEASE explain to me how to set an avatar?

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
I did it once, but can't remember, and every time I try, no matter what I use, I get "invalid url".

I generally copy the properties and then insert into custom avatar field....I've tried using avatars from free avatar sites, I've tried copying the url of avatars at other sites I like, and it never works. Can I get a blow by blow????

Please break it down into baby steps.

Go into "user CP," then click "edit avatar."
Select "custom avatar" and paste the URL from website.
Click "save changes."

This should work. Worked twice for me. Sometimes if there's a glitch, it works itself out if you close browser and open the USMB website again.

• Banned
Go into "user CP," then click "edit avatar."
Select "custom avatar" and paste the URL from website.
Click "save changes."

This should work. Worked twice for me. Sometimes if there's a glitch, it works itself out if you close browser and open the USMB website again.

Now the url from the website is the addy that comes up when you right click and choose "properties", right????

Because that's what I'm doing. And it won't work.

Now the url from the website is the addy that comes up when you right click and choose "properties", right????

Because that's what I'm doing. And it won't work.

No, its the addy that's at the top of your browser. For instance, the url or addy now where I am would be http://www.usmessageboard.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=869471

Just left click mouse over the address in the skinny white box and copy and paste into "url box" in "edit avatar" screen. Let me know if this makes sense or if it doesn't.

• Banned
Well that didn't work, either. I'm on a free avatar site, and they have it all set up and nothing works. I've tried using the addy at the top, all three addies they provide including a direct link to avatar, and nothing works. I've tried removing the http://www. in the field and leaving it there.

It's just so frustrating.

allie click on the av you want to save....it should come up with a save to pictures option....try saving it to your pictures...right click on it...then see what the box says...save things to one file and then you go to browse and should be able to find the pic

Actually, it was Strolling's help...using browse!
But thanks so much!

Do you like it? It isn't as funny as my avatar with Frodo and Gollum, but it's pretty funny.

If you're linking right to an avatar on another site, they can nix it at any time. "Free avatars" generally means you're free to save them to your own hard drive and use them - most people, if they find you linking to their site and using their bandwidth will either nukke the image entirely, or replace it with some rude message about you stealing bandwidth.

Best to right click it, save it to your own hard drive, then go to your control panel, and the avatar link, and select "Browse", which brings up your hard drive. Select it from there, and save.

Forum List

Back