can someone please explain 'brokered convention' to me?

Neurotika

idiots own this world
Feb 28, 2012
on the bay
i havent been a politics junky for a long time and i kind of learn as i go. this brokered convention keeps popping up in headlines and i wonder if some kind stranger has the time to explain it to me?

appreciate the feedback.

each candidate comes in with delegates they have won over the course of the primary.

Some states do not force the delegates to stay loyal to whom they were sent for.

A brokered convention would mean massive trading of these delegate votes.

each candidate comes in with delegates they have won over the course of the primary.

Some states do not force the delegates to stay loyal to whom they were sent for.

A brokered convention would mean massive trading of these delegate votes.
Some delegates are not "bound". BROKERED means not enough delegates vote in the first round to give a candidate the requisite number for the nomination.

The whole idea of "brokering" is only based on assumption, because no one really knows if brokering is even possible at this point. After the first round of voting if no one gets 1144, the delegates are all unbound and can vote their conscience. They can not be "sold", so to speak. You can bring a new candidate in, but what's the guarantee that 1144 would choose them? Romney, or whoever, can't just TELL the delegates to vote for someone, it doesn't work like that. It's 1144 people all with minds of their own and no obligation.

This is the reason the Paul organization is working as many delegates into position as possible, because if they become unbound they're voting for no one else but Paul.

Forum List

Back