Can someone explain what "Clear and Convincing" replay evidence means?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
I'm watching the Dbacks Nationals game. The batter ducks away from a close pitch and the umpire immediately calls Hit By Pitch. Oh wait, let's have a replay challenge! Now there is no camera angle on this play where you can CLEARLY tell he was or wasn't hit so you have to rely on the Umpire's call based on what he saw and heard, right? NOPE. Over-ruled by the man behind the curtain. I have no idea what Clear and Convincing evidence means so if anyone has a good explanation, please share it.

I'm watching the Dbacks Nationals game. The batter ducks away from a close pitch and the umpire immediately calls Hit By Pitch. Oh wait, let's have a replay challenge! Now there is no camera angle on this play where you can CLEARLY tell he was or wasn't hit so you have to rely on the Umpire's call based on what he saw and heard, right? NOPE. Over-ruled by the man behind the curtain. I have no idea what Clear and Convincing evidence means so if anyone has a good explanation, please share it.
Which team did it favor?

Which team did it favor?
I intentionally left that out since it is irrelevant to the question.

Which team did it favor?
I intentionally left that out since it is irrelevant to the question.
I just looked it up and the Nats won. Poor D-bags. :badgrin:

Clear and convincing for the umpires making the decision! It does not have to be clear and convincing to you or me.

I would like to do away with it all. Baseball, football takes to much time and half the time I still do not agree with the call.

The way the replay reviewers are applying the rules I agree, get rid of it. If they would stick to the original intent which was to insure an OBVIOUS blown call was reversed then I'd say keep it. And by obvious I mean easily determining the mistake on the first view, not 18 replays in ultra slow motion.

Do the replay officials maybe have views unavailable to you?

They most certainly do. And it would certainly be nice if the jumbotron and television would show exactly the same angles that umpires are looking at on their screens.

If they did that it might save a few television screens from being destroyed by high velocity beer bottles.

They most certainly do. And it would certainly be nice if the jumbotron and television would show exactly the same angles that umpires are looking at on their screens.

If they did that it might save a few television screens from being destroyed by high velocity beer bottles.

I don't watch baseball, but with football, at this point I think the TV broadcasts have all the same camera angles the replay booth gets.

Forum List

Back