Can Somebody Explain To Me How There Can Be Driverless Vehicles ?

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
I still donā€™t understand the idea of driverless cars and trucks. How in the world can a vehicle weighing thousands of pounds be driven on a highway without a human driver ? This makes no sense, and even if it were possible, what is possible is not necessarily safe.

Right here is USMB, my posts are routinely being hacked into, whereby the cursors disappears, and Iā€™m unable to type in words. When doing Ops, I have to type them into a Word document, and then copy/paste them into USMB.

So wouldnā€™t it be a no-brainer to forsee computer driven trucks being hacked by terrorists, and plowed into crowds of people ?

Imagine an outdoor music concert with 20,000 people in attendance, and here comes this huge tractor trailer semi bursting into the crowd at 80 miles per hour. Will we then see the end of Mardi Gras, Gasparila, parades, amusement parks, street festivals, etc. ? Have the people advocating driverless vehicles really thought this out ? For that matter, have the people who have put various serious public utilities in computer formats, really thought it out ?

I still donā€™t understand the idea of driverless cars and trucks. How in the world can a vehicle weighing thousands of pounds be driven on a highway without a human driver ? This makes no sense, and even if it were possible, what is possible is not necessarily safe.

Right here is USMB, my posts are routinely being hacked into, whereby the cursors disappears, and Iā€™m unable to type in words. When doing Ops, I have to type them into a Word document, and then copy/paste them into USMB.

So wouldnā€™t it be a no-brainer to forsee computer driven trucks being hacked by terrorists, and plowed into crowds of people ?

Imagine an outdoor music concert with 20,000 people in attendance, and here comes this huge tractor trailer semi bursting into the crowd at 80 miles per hour. Will we then see the end of Mardi Gras, Gasparila, parades, amusement parks, street festivals, etc. ? Have the people advocating driverless vehicles really thought this out ? For that matter, have the people who have put various serious public utilities in computer formats, really thought it out ?
The speed of these automated vehicles will be slow enough to drive drivers insane.
Imagine driving at a speed that avoids speeding accidents.

If there is existing programming, insulated from what can be controlled from outside the vehicle, the car would still follow traffic regulations, traffic signals, and avoid hitting any other vehicles, cyclists or pedestrians. The technology already exists. Laws require that someone be sitting behind the wheel, but the car can drive itself. It can negotiate stop signs, roundabouts, stop lights, obey speed limits ect ect.

Also, the technology is able to see more than a human can. It does not get distracted. It does not get fatigued.

And if the basic safety programs cannot be overridden from outside teh vehicle, your terrorist fear is nonsense.

As for it being the end of big celebrations and festivals, does it seem to you that terrorists have a problem getting people who are willing to die?

Some of these cars may not have a steering wheel for a driver...right?

The only vehicle I know of that has the technology to drive itself is the Tesla. It has a steering wheel. And it is currently illegal to have it drive without someone in the driver's seat.

You should ask Google about that. They pioneered the idea.

It is a bad idea.

The only vehicle I know of that has the technology to drive itself is the Tesla. It has a steering wheel. And it is currently illegal to have it drive without someone in the driver's seat.
A tesla driver was recently killed while having his car on auto-drive, while he was texting.

Darwin award -- both for the driver and for Tesla.

If there is existing programming, insulated from what can be controlled from outside the vehicle, the car would still follow traffic regulations, traffic signals, and avoid hitting any other vehicles, cyclists or pedestrians. The technology already exists. Laws require that someone be sitting behind the wheel, but the car can drive itself. It can negotiate stop signs, roundabouts, stop lights, obey speed limits ect ect.

Also, the technology is able to see more than a human can. It does not get distracted. It does not get fatigued.

And if the basic safety programs cannot be overridden from outside teh vehicle, your terrorist fear is nonsense.

As for it being the end of big celebrations and festivals, does it seem to you that terrorists have a problem getting people who are willing to die?
1. Of course, the terrorist fear is nonsense IF the basic safety programs cannot be overridden from outside the vehicle. And IF US scientists had not been able to build an A-bomb, Hiroshima wouldn't have been A-bombed. duh!

2. And IF there is programming, NOT insulated from what can be controlled from outside the vehicle ? Duh!

1. Of course, the terrorist fear is nonsense IF the basic safety programs cannot be overridden from outside the vehicle. And IF US scientists had not been able to build an A-bomb, Hiroshima wouldn't have been A-bombed. duh!

2. And IF there is programming, NOT insulated from what can be controlled from outside the vehicle ? Duh!

I have no idea what #1 means. Are you worried that someone will build an A bomb out of a car?

If you are so paranoid that you believe that anything with a computer can be hacked, you should worry about other shit than autonomous cars.

You, like me, don't seem to fully grasp just how INCREDIBLY fast technology is improving. It's improving at a faster rate than any time in earth's history (4.5 billion years - or 6000 years, if you believe the geneologies in the Bible.) When AI really kicks in, you and I will be FLOORED by the changes.

PS Taxi drivers and Uber drivers and bus drivers will soon go out of business....forever. Wow.

You can make them, but nobody except a few liberals will purchase them. The regulations and insurance will be nuts and some states may ban them. A machine does not have the natural instinct or reflexes a human has.

You can make them, but nobody except a few liberals will purchase them. The regulations and insurance will be nuts and some states may ban them. A machine does not have the natural instinct or reflexes a human has.

It lacks instinct. But as for reflexes, the machine can be faster and more accurate. A human will react to something in the road by swerving. The machine can do the same thing, but faster. And can make the precise adjustment needed, because it has already plotted the course around it, instead of just avoiding hitting it.

Also, a person has two eyes set in the front of our head. A machine can take input from numerous cameras and scanners at the same time (or close enough that it amounts to the same thing).

And a car that can drive itself can take a drunk home safely. That alone could potentially save tens of thousands of lives.

A tesla driver was recently killed while having his car on auto-drive, while he was texting.

Darwin award -- both for the driver and for Tesla.

Auto pilot, in a Tesla, is not the same as a self driving car. Auto pilot is just an expanded cruise control. Tesla tells owners to keep their hands on the wheel and their attention on the road. The guy who was killed was not texting. He was watching a movie on a portable dvd player.

You, like me, don't seem to fully grasp just how INCREDIBLY fast technology is improving. It's improving at a faster rate than any time in earth's history (4.5 billion years - or 6000 years, if you believe the geneologies in the Bible.) When AI really kicks in, you and I will be FLOORED by the changes.

PS Taxi drivers and Uber drivers and bus drivers will soon go out of business....forever. Wow.

I don't believe any of this nonsense

Auto pilot, in a Tesla, is not the same as a self driving car. Auto pilot is just an expanded cruise control. Tesla tells owners to keep their hands on the wheel and their attention on the road. The guy who was killed was not texting. He was watching a movie on a portable dvd player.
I have seen some people watching a movie on a portable DVD player while driving. Few things could be dumber.

Forum List

Back