Can Science and Religion Coexist?

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
So It Goes : Can Science and Religion Coexist?

Interesting Thoughts

TODAY'S NEW YORK TIMES reported that President Obama has nominated Francis Collins to be the next director of the National Institutes of Health. It caught my eye not only because this is a remarkably important position but also because of this passage:

[One of the objections some have made about the selection of Collins] is his very public embrace of religion. He wrote a book called “The Language of God,” and he has given many talks and interviews in which he described his conversion to Christianity as a 27-year-old medical student. Religion and genetic research have long had a fraught relationship, and some in the field complain about what they see as Dr. Collins’s evangelism.

If Religion prevents a Scientist from making an experiment or posting a theory then no, they cannot co-exist.

However, Science and Religion can co-exist if done correctly.

Beliefnet, offers an apt quote from Collins:

Suppose God chose to use the mechanism of evolution to create animals like us, knowing this process would lead to big-brained creatures with the capacity to think, ask questions about our own origins, discover the truth about the universe and discover pointers toward the One who provides meaning to life. Who are we to say that's not how we would have done it? If you believe that God is the creator, how could the truths about nature we discover through science be a threat to God? For many scientists who believe in God -- including me -- it's just the opposite. Everything we learn about the natural world only increases our awe of the God the creator

Excellent!

Yes. Religion must make itself compatible with science, though; the opposite is not true. If a specific religious belief contradicts established scientific knowledge, it's a superstition that should be abandoned.

Yes. Religion must make itself compatible with science, though; the opposite is not true. If a specific religious belief contradicts established scientific knowledge, it's a superstition that should be abandoned.
That is not very scientific. Simply because it cannot be explained today does not mean there is not an explanation. After all, science is supposed to be open-minded.

I have no intention of going into detail of My beliefs tonight. But suffice it to say that My belief is that when the Lord created everything, he also created all the laws of existence that goes with it, otherwise we simply would not be here.

I also believe that he created us in his image with his capacity and our physical environment is our way of learning about Him and getting closer to Him.

It is why we have free will and the ability to evolve.

That is not very scientific. Simply because it cannot be explained today does not mean there is not an explanation. After all, science is supposed to be open-minded.

Science is supposed to be open-minded, yes, but not open to ridiculousness. If a belief contradicts a scientific law, it's irrational. If it contradicts an established theory, such as evolution, it should at least be questioned by those who cling to it.

Science is supposed to be open-minded, yes, but not open to ridiculousness. If a belief contradicts a scientific law, it's irrational. If it contradicts an established theory, such as evolution, it should at least be questioned by those who cling to it.
Theory's should be questioned; otherwise they become dogma and not proven science.

And ridiculousness is in eye of the beholder. Inquisitiveness should always be encourages and the challenging of established beliefs (both religious and scientific) are mandatory.

And politics should never interject itself into debate on issues of faith and science.

But we live in an imperfect world with imperfect humans.

Makes for interesting times.

And with that, I just hit 100 posts and My goal for the night. I'm going to finish My single malt and get some sleep.

If Religion prevents a Scientist from making an experiment or posting a theory then no, they cannot co-exist.

That leaves out Islam, you realize.

That leaves out Islam, you realize.

Totally, Babble.

Inventions of the Islamic Golden Age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're male, therefore I bow to you....

iran_stoning.gif

So It Goes : Can Science and Religion Coexist?

Interesting Thoughts

TODAY'S NEW YORK TIMES reported that President Obama has nominated Francis Collins to be the next director of the National Institutes of Health. It caught my eye not only because this is a remarkably important position but also because of this passage:

[One of the objections some have made about the selection of Collins] is his very public embrace of religion. He wrote a book called “The Language of God,” and he has given many talks and interviews in which he described his conversion to Christianity as a 27-year-old medical student. Religion and genetic research have long had a fraught relationship, and some in the field complain about what they see as Dr. Collins’s evangelism.

Ignorant question. There is nothing about Science that conflicts with Religion nor anything about Religion that conflicts with Science. The only time you have problems is when zealots from either field decide to argue with ignorance rather then faith or facts.

Forum List

Back