Can Public Option Work?

"The money powers prey upon the nation in times of peace and conspire against it in times of adversity. It is more despotic than a monarchy, more insolent than autocracy, and more selfish than bureaucracy. It denounces as public enemies, all who question its methods or throw light upon its crimes. I have two great enemies, the Southern Army in front of me and the Bankers in the rear. Of the two, the one at my rear is my greatest foe.. corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money powers of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until the wealth is aggregated in the hands of a few, and the Republic is destroyed. Abraham Lincoln

"We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our selection between economy and liberty or profusion and servitude. If we run into such debts as that we must be taxed in our meat in our drink, in our necessities and comforts, in our labors and in our amusements, for our callings and our creeds...our people.. must come to labor sixteen hours in the twenty-four, give earnings of fifteen of these to the government for their debts and daily expenses; and the sixteenth being insufficient to afford us bread, we must live.. We have not time to think, no means of calling the mis-managers to account, but be glad to obtain subsistence by hiring ourselves to rivet their chains on the necks of our fellow suffers. Our landholders, too...retaining indeed the title and stewardship of estates called theirs, but held really in trust for the treasury, must...be contented with penury, obscurity and exile.. private fortunes are destroyed by public as well as by private extravagance.

This is the tendency of all human governments. A departure from principle becomes a precedent for a second; that second for a third; and so on, till the bulk of society is reduced to mere automatons of misery, to have no sensibilities left but for sinning and suffering... And the fore horse of this frightful team is public debt. Taxation follows that, and in its train wretchedness and oppression." Thomas Jefferson

I cannot imagine an American willing to lay thir liberty on the table in exchange for short term comfort , because in the end they will have none. We live in a nation where the right to choose our own destiny even in healthcare matters belongs to us and not the Govt. we elect. so yes liberty matters and always will as long as you live in the United States of America.

What a crock of shit.

National health insurance allows you to still "choose your own destiny."

You have government health insurance, why can't we all have it?

Every other industrialized nation in the world has national health insurance, and in most cases it works quite well for them. Are they smarter than we are? Yes.

If you think the current sysytem is easy to abuse I can see why you would like to supplant it with a system that is even more prone to abuse.

Big Pharma and the insurance companies are the ones abusing the current system.

Ever heard of the term "pre-existing condition?"

Yes, it is normally refering to:

1. Drug addicts.
2. Alcoholics.
3. Prior heart condition.
4. Prior cancer.
5. Morbidly obese.

Your talking points people managed to find eight states with outdated laws. What are the profit margins of drug companies and insurance companies? What is an "abusive" return? Insurance industry profits amount to 1% of health expenditures.

Bullshit.

Big Pharma has the highest profit margin of any industry.

1. Drug addicts.
2. Alcoholics.
4. Prior cancer.
5. Morbidly obese.

Your talking points people managed to find eight states with outdated laws. What are the profit margins of drug companies and insurance companies? What is an "abusive" return? Insurance industry profits amount to 1% of health expenditures.

Bullshit.

Oh really, did you ever look at the margin on the diamond industry or communications?

Fortune 500 2008: Top Performers - Most Profitable Industries: Return on Revenues

Who does your research? The Slowskis?

1. Drug addicts.
2. Alcoholics.
4. Prior cancer.
5. Morbidly obese.

Bullshit.

Oh really, did you ever look at the margin on the diamond industry or communications?

Fortune 500 2008: Top Performers - Most Profitable Industries: Return on Revenues

Three of the top nine were health industry profits.

Thanks for proving my point.

You are the best!

1. Drug addicts.
2. Alcoholics.
4. Prior cancer.
5. Morbidly obese.

Bullshit.

Dance Chris - Dance!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G2QTSf9TIo]YouTube - GAY DANCE[/ame]

3 of the top 9 highest profit industries in America are healthcare.

The $3.4 BILLION DOLLARS that the healthcare lobbyists gave Congress in the last decade paid off!

Bullshit.

Three of the top nine were health industry profits.

Thanks for proving my point.

You are the best!

No, your point was they were #1. YOU were wrong as usual. The industrial breakdowns were somewhat arbitrary too, which skewed the results. They do have a healthy bottomline, it is true.

"The money powers prey upon the nation in times of peace and conspire against it in times of adversity. It is more despotic than a monarchy, more insolent than autocracy, and more selfish than bureaucracy. It denounces as public enemies, all who question its methods or throw light upon its crimes. I have two great enemies, the Southern Army in front of me and the Bankers in the rear. Of the two, the one at my rear is my greatest foe.. corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money powers of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until the wealth is aggregated in the hands of a few, and the Republic is destroyed. Abraham Lincoln

"We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our selection between economy and liberty or profusion and servitude. If we run into such debts as that we must be taxed in our meat in our drink, in our necessities and comforts, in our labors and in our amusements, for our callings and our creeds...our people.. must come to labor sixteen hours in the twenty-four, give earnings of fifteen of these to the government for their debts and daily expenses; and the sixteenth being insufficient to afford us bread, we must live.. We have not time to think, no means of calling the mis-managers to account, but be glad to obtain subsistence by hiring ourselves to rivet their chains on the necks of our fellow suffers. Our landholders, too...retaining indeed the title and stewardship of estates called theirs, but held really in trust for the treasury, must...be contented with penury, obscurity and exile.. private fortunes are destroyed by public as well as by private extravagance.

This is the tendency of all human governments. A departure from principle becomes a precedent for a second; that second for a third; and so on, till the bulk of society is reduced to mere automatons of misery, to have no sensibilities left but for sinning and suffering... And the fore horse of this frightful team is public debt. Taxation follows that, and in its train wretchedness and oppression." Thomas Jefferson

I cannot imagine an American willing to lay thir liberty on the table in exchange for short term comfort , because in the end they will have none. We live in a nation where the right to choose our own destiny even in healthcare matters belongs to us and not the Govt. we elect. so yes liberty matters and always will as long as you live in the United States of America.

What a crock of shit.

Every other industrialized nation in the world has national health insurance, and in most cases it works quite well for them. Are they smarter than we are? Yes.

First of all Chris if you had bothered to read any of the several hundred postings I have made on the subject of healthcare you would see that I am not opposed to anyone purchasing Govt. health insurance. The reference above shows that with "mandates" you cannot choose your own desitiny Chris because if you don't it will be choosen for you. As for every other nation, we also have national health insurance it's called Medicare , so are other nations smarter than we are? It would depend on if you like the W.H.O. or not I suppose when it comes to matters of healthcare. As I'm not going to turn this into a debate on that body of individuals I will reserve comment. The other thing that I find tragic here, is that many democrats claim to be democrats have have no idea the bill they are supporting is going to enrich the very same people they hate "insurance companies", further, most if not all this bill directly contradicts many Democrat principles that have stood for many years in matters of personal choice, equality, and yes even your goal of Universal Healthcare, because Chris, if you think for one moment this bill is akin to that your sadly mistaken.

What a crock of shit.

First of all Chris if you had bothered to read any of the several hundred postings I have made on the subject of healthcare you would see that I am not opposed to anyone purchasing Govt. health insurance. The reference above shows that with "mandates" you cannot choose your own desitiny Chris because if you don't it will be choosen for you. As for every other nation, we also have national health insurance it's called Medicare , so are other nations smarter than we are? It would depend on if you like the W.H.O. or not I suppose when it comes to matters of healthcare. As I'm not going to turn this into a debate on that body of individuals I will reserve comment. The other thing that I find tragic here, is that many democrats claim to be democrats have have no idea the bill they are supporting is going to enrich the very same people they hate "insurance companies", further, most if not all this bill directly contradicts many Democrat principles that have stood for many years in matters of personal choice, equality, and yes even your goal of Universal Healthcare, because Chris, if you think for one moment this bill is akin to that your sadly mistaken.

I am not sadly mistaken. I am against any bill that requires purchasing healthcare from insurance companies. I favor the public option.

And yes, the rest of the world is smarter than we are. That's obvious.

What a crock of shit.

I am not sadly mistaken. I am against any bill that requires purchasing healthcare from insurance companies. I favor the public option.

You mean you are against any bill that requires purchasing healtcare from insurance companies that are not run by the government ;).

You mean you are against any bill that requires purchasing healtcare from insurance companies that are not run by the government ;).

Absolutely.

I am not giving my money to insurance companies, so they can use that money to lobby Congress to deny me coverage. That would be stupid.

Absolutely.

I am not giving my money to insurance companies, so they can use that money to lobby Congress to deny me coverage. That would be stupid.

So you denied yourself coverage because you don't want to pay insurance companies. On the chance you may be denied coverage. Sort of a pre-emptive strike deal? Do you apply that same logic to banks? You don't borrow money from them because they might decline your loan?

Last edited:
What a crock of shit.

So given that last statement are you for the current legislation then? You do realize that the mandate applies to healthcare insurance no matter where you purchase it. As for the "public option" who do you think is going to administer it? The Govt.? They don't even do that with Medicare, so again are you for this current legislation given your stance for on private insurance?

The bottom line is this:

The Public Option will definitely work - no doubt about it!

The reason is simple:

Absolutely anything will work better than the current Healthcare system!

IT SIMPLY COULD NOT BE MORE FUCKED UP THAN IT IS!

That all there is to it!

The bottom line is this:

The Public Option will definitely work - no doubt about it!

The reason is simple:

Absolutely anything will work better than the current Healthcare system!

IT SIMPLY COULD NOT BE MORE FUCKED UP THAN IT IS!

That all there is to it!

Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think they said that in Cuba in 1958.

Forum List

Back