CDZ Can policies be agreed on by prochoice and prolife to reduce and prevent abortion

they put on full display their hypocrisy when they fail to acknowledge that conception is the moment that a person is created.
It is hard to imagine any agreement between the two sides when people state their opinions as facts. Not everyone equates a person with a few strands of DNA.
So... When exactly is a person " created"...?
Sometime after conception and before birth. I'd say the "person" should be distinguishable from other animals and that would mean a functioning human brain.
They are distinguasable from other animals at the moment of conception. DNA analysis can make this distinction quite easily...

Our fetal homicide laws define a "child in the womb" as a human being in ANY stage of development while in the womb.

That's as inclusive as it gets and leaves no chance that any children might be denied.

What could possibly be wrong with that?
Laws don't create reality. If the laws said a fetus is not protected by law until it is born would you be alright with that?

They are distinguasable from other animals at the moment of conception. DNA analysis can make this distinction quite easily...
I like to think that humans are more than a collection of chemicals.
No ones infringing on your prerogative to think so. Whatever else they may be... They are also a very specific collection of chemicals...

If someone believes abortion is ‘wrong’ he’s at complete liberty to express that opinion, no one is seeking to prevent anyone from expressing his opinion concerning abortion.

Private persons in the context of private society are free to debate the issue of abortion absent interference from the government.

From a Constitutional standpoint, the issue concerns solely the relationship between government and those governed, where the right to privacy prohibits government from acting to compel a woman to give birth against her will through force of law.

Lawmakers hostile to privacy rights are likewise at liberty to express their opposition to abortion, but they may not seek to enact measures which result in an undue burden to the right to privacy; and if they do, they should expect those measures to be invalidated by the courts pursuant to privacy rights jurisprudence.

The right to privacy safeguards not only the right of a woman to decide whether to have a child or not, it protects the right of Americans to decide the issue for themselves in accordance with their own good faith and good conscience, where it is not within the purview of government to make such determinations concerning matters both personal and private.

What this post totally ignores is the rights of the unborn. Are we to support the idea that a baby can be summarily murdered 5 minutes before birth? A death sentence imposed with no proof of rape or incest, just the mother's word? Doesn't say much for the value we place on human life if we can snuff it out before it begins without a 2nd thought.

`
`

There is a reason the republican party right opposes abortion but it is rooted firmly in Christian theology. It's called; a Soul. A spiritual belief.

No ones infringing on your prerogative to think so. Whatever else they may be... They are also a very specific collection of chemicals...
A corpse or a human in a coma with no brain activity is also a very specific collection of chemicals. Unfortunately no longer a person.

A corpse or a human in a coma with no brain activity is also a very specific collection of chemicals. Unfortunately no longer a person.
Try walking into a coma ward and shooting one... See if the courts agree with you. As for the other. Dead is dead. This thread is about the living.

Try walking into a coma ward and shooting one... See if the courts agree with you. As for the other. Dead is dead. This thread is about the living.
Those courts also recognize that if my child is in an irreversible coma I can legally terminate their life. Not unlike an abortion I think? This thread is about what it means to be alive.

Those courts also recognize that if my child is in an irreversible coma I can legally terminate their life. Not unlike an abortion I think? This thread is about what it means to be alive.
The OP states that its about abortion...

Not sure. I am however sure that they are amongst their ranks. That means there's more to it than religion...
`
Regardless of your beliefs, the republican party has been representing "religious right" (evangelical Christians, et al), platforms for at least a couple of decades.

Not sure. I am however sure that they are amongst their ranks. That means there's more to it than religion...
`
Regardless of your beliefs, the republican party has been representing "religious right" (evangelical Christians, et al), platforms for at least a couple of decades.
Regardless. That doesn't mean that religion is what makes a person value life.

“Can policies be agreed on by prochoice and prolife to reduce and prevent abortion[?]”

No.

Because for those hostile to privacy rights the issue is about control and compelling conformity, not reducing abortions.

Indeed, by seeking to ‘ban’ abortion, those hostile to privacy rights will do little to reduce the number of abortions being performed.

Everyone is pro-life, everyone wishes to see the practice of abortion end – provided the solution comports with Constitutional case law, respecting the right to privacy, something those hostile to privacy rights refuse to do.

While abortion is the most binary of the major issues, there are still ways for the two sides to work together to reduce demand, increase the efficiency of adoptions, and make the decision-making process clearer with education.

But as with all other major issues, neither side is interested in even fundamental communication and sincere cooperation. We have regressed as a culture, and it's the narcissistic wings that are bringing us down. As usual.

You are not going to stop young people from having sex. You will also never eliminate abortion, the best you can hope for is a reduction in abortions particularly late term abortions. Given that, I would propose:

1. Life begins with a heartbeat. Abortions must be completed prior to the first appearance of a heartbeat.
2. Continue funding birth control with Federal money, state money and better yet private donations. Anything to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies thus eliminating the abortion decision.

Forum List

Back