Can One Of You Repubs Kindly Explain Why Reagan Raised Taxes 11 Times in 8 Years?

The simple fact is that even raising taxes was not enough, Reagan also tripled the national debt by borrowing two trillion dollars. America also, under Reagan, went from a creditor nation to a debtor nation under Reagan. But Reagan was able to make Americans feel good, and many still believe Reagan paid off the debt, lowered taxes, reduced the size of government and built star wars.

Obama's deficits are bigger than Reagan's entire budgets.

Anybody who uses the moniker "Kerry Won Ohio" is too ignorant to bother responding to.

The fact that everything this clown posts is GARBAGE, is beside the point.

That and the fact he has 5 red stars

In 900 posts! I think the board should allow more than 5 in his honor. I swear he is dumber than rderp and TDM combined. Must be their retarded love child.

Because raising taxes contracts the money supply and reduces aggregate consumer demand which is the quickest and easiest way to constrain inflation without spiking interest rates. Inflation at over 11% was a very real problem in 1981 when Reagan took office. Not the case when Obama came into office in 2009.

Historical Inflation Rates: 1914-2012, Annual and Monthly Tables - US Inflation Calculator

So, if tax hikes are a fiscal policy to reduce inflation....why did Reagan take office and immediately move to cut taxes?

Oh My....Ronald Reagan, the hero worshipped by all tea baggers, raised taxes 11 times in 8 years. This is a historical FACT and whining and crying about it like all tea baggers love to do will not make this historical fact go away.

Not only that, Reagan believed strongly in ending tax loopholes for the rich. Here's a quote from a speech Reagan gave in 1985 --

We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy.

Golly, tea baggers....what do you have to say about this?? It appears to me that if Reagan were alive today, he would agree with Obama and the Democrats and he would be calling you deranged lunatics "crazy"!!

The tea baggers on this board ain't going to touch this topic with a 10 foot pole. :lol: Well, unless they tell their usual ridiculous lies, then they might.
He did it because
bicpen.jpg

Oh My....Ronald Reagan, the hero worshipped by all tea baggers, raised taxes 11 times in 8 years. This is a historical FACT and whining and crying about it like all tea baggers love to do will not make this historical fact go away.

Not only that, Reagan believed strongly in ending tax loopholes for the rich. Here's a quote from a speech Reagan gave in 1985 --

We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy.

Golly, tea baggers....what do you have to say about this?? It appears to me that if Reagan were alive today, he would agree with Obama and the Democrats and he would be calling you deranged lunatics "crazy"!!

The tea baggers on this board ain't going to touch this topic with a 10 foot pole. :lol: Well, unless they tell their usual ridiculous lies, then they might.

Unlike Barry...who seems to have been out smoking a fattie instead of attending his economics classes when all this was being covered...Reagan grasped the Keynesian theory that you should only raise taxes in an economy that is doing well and not when it was stagnant.

oh my! So, your point is that Reagan embraced Keynesian policy?

Wow. Ok then.

You see...unlike Barry...Dutch Reagan actually did things to FIX the economy which provided us with the longest sustained period of economic growth in our country's history...so he could afford to raise some taxes.
THe longest period of growth occurred after Reagan left office.

You really don't think conservatives want to touch this topic?

If you're going to start from the premise that Reagan embraced Keynesian policies, I won't touch this topic.

Overall, Reagan instituted massive tax cuts on income and capital gain AND defeated the USSR.

They can't answer that any more than they can answer why they ignore the FACT that President Obama cut taxes to small business 17 times in three years and cut taxes to individuals and cut payroll taxes.

All the while, the pubs are trying to raise taxes on the poor and working class while cutting taxes to the very rich.

There's a huge disconnect here and the only explanation is that all the rw's on this forum are independently wealthy.

Or, they're just plain dumb.

:clap2: They're just plain dumb, I'm afraid. The idiot tea baggers on this board are unsophisticated, ignorant peasant SUCKERS. They know rich Repugs are superior to their lowly selves and it's their PEASANT DUTY to protect the wealth of their rich Repug feudal masters, like Romney.

It's really no different than the poor Southern white trash who fought for the plantation owners during the Civil War. Nothing has changed in 150 years.

They can't answer that any more than they can answer why they ignore the FACT that President Obama cut taxes to small business 17 times in three years and cut taxes to individuals and cut payroll taxes.

All the while, the pubs are trying to raise taxes on the poor and working class while cutting taxes to the very rich.

There's a huge disconnect here and the only explanation is that all the rw's on this forum are independently wealthy.

Or, they're just plain dumb.

:clap2: They're just plain dumb, I'm afraid. The idiot tea baggers on this board are unsophisticated, ignorant peasant SUCKERS. They know rich Repugs are superior to their lowly selves and it's their PEASANT DUTY to protect the wealth of their rich Repug feudal masters, like Romney.

It's really no different than the poor Southern white trash who fought for the plantation owners during the Civil War. Nothing has changed in 150 years.
Obama thinks you're stupid.

And you'll dutifully and unthinkingly vote for him.

Soon after taking office in 1981, Reagan signed into law one of the largest tax cuts in the postwar period.

That legislation -- phased in over three years -- pushed through a 23% across-the-board cut of individual income tax rates. It also called for tax brackets, the standard deduction and personal exemptions to be adjusted for inflation starting in 1984. That would reduce "bracket creep" since the high inflation of the 1970s and early 1980s meant incomes rose very fast, pushing taxpayers into ever higher brackets even though the real value of their income hadn't changed.

The 1981 bill also made certain business deductions more generous.

In 1986, Reagan lowered individual income tax rates again, this time in landmark tax reform legislation.

As a result of the 1981 and 1986 bills, the top income tax rate was slashed from 70% to 28%.

Despite the aggressive tax cutting, Reagan couldn't ignore the budget deficit, which was burgeoning.

After Reagan's first year in office, the annual deficit was 2.6% of gross domestic product. But it hit a high of 6% in 1983, stayed in the 5% range for the next three years, and fell to 3.1% by 1988. (By comparison, this year it's projected to be 9% but is expected to drop considerably thereafter.)

So, despite his public opposition to higher taxes, Reagan ended up signing off on several measures intended to raise more revenue.

"Reagan was certainly a tax cutter legislatively, emotionally and ideologically. But for a variety of political reasons, it was hard for him to ignore the cost of his tax cuts," said tax historian Joseph Thorndike.

Two bills passed in 1982 and 1984 together "constituted the biggest tax increase ever enacted during peacetime," Thorndike said.

The bills didn't raise more revenue by hiking individual income tax rates though. Instead they did it largely through making it tougher to evade taxes, and through "base broadening" -- that is, reducing various federal tax breaks and closing tax loopholes

Taxes: What people forget about Reagan - Sep. 8, 2010

Because raising taxes contracts the money supply and reduces aggregate consumer demand which is the quickest and easiest way to constrain inflation without spiking interest rates. Inflation at over 11% was a very real problem in 1981 when Reagan took office. Not the case when Obama came into office in 2009.

Historical Inflation Rates: 1914-2012, Annual and Monthly Tables - US Inflation Calculator
Of course, St Ronnie CUT taxes in 1981 and RAISED taxes from the end of 1982 on, AFTER inflation had come down. He also spiked interest rates to their highest ever, even higher than Carter.

Unlike Barry...who seems to have been out smoking a fattie instead of attending his economics classes when all this was being covered...Reagan grasped the Keynesian theory that you should only raise taxes in an economy that is doing well and not when it was stagnant.

Wow. Ok then.

You see...unlike Barry...Dutch Reagan actually did things to FIX the economy which provided us with the longest sustained period of economic growth in our country's history...so he could afford to raise some taxes.

If you're going to start from the premise that Reagan embraced Keynesian policies, I won't touch this topic.

I didn't say that Reagan "embraced" Keynesian policy...what I said was that at least he seemed to understand the basics of it. Barry on the other hand appear to be clueless about the subject of economics in general.

Oh...and that longest period of growth BEGAN during the Reagan Administration and continued on long after he'd left office.

Last edited:

Nothing wrong with raising taxes, as long as the people support it and its raised on everyone, not a singled out few.
Of course, Reagan raised taxes on the middle class wage earners and retired seniors, but cut taxes on the richest of the rich paying the top marginal rate and the Capital Gains elitists.

What was the top income tax when Reagan entered office? What was it when he left?

Wow. Ok then.

I'm afraid Old Rocks simply isn't smart enough to understand the irony of what he's saying.

Modern day Repugs consider Keynes to be the equivalent of Karl Marx and don't believe raising taxes is ever a good thing, regardless of current economic conditions.

Of course, most of the ignorant, unsophisticated tea bagger dumb fucks on this board have no idea who John Keynes even is, so let's give Old Rocks some credit. :lol:

Why Reagan couldn't even get nominated nowadays:

From his 1983 state of the union, talking about Social Security...

When the Speaker of the House, the Senate majority leader, and I performed the bipartisan--or formed the bipartisan Commission on Social Security, pundits and experts predicted that party divisions and conflicting interests would prevent the Commission from agreeing on a plan to save social security.

Well, sometimes, even here in Washington, the cynics are wrong. Through compromise and cooperation, the members of the Commission overcame their differences and achieved a fair, workable plan. They proved that, when it comes to the national welfare, Americans can still pull together for the common good.

Read more: State of the Union Address: Ronald Reagan (January 25, 1983) — Infoplease.com State of the Union Address: Ronald Reagan (January 25, 1983) — Infoplease.com

Forum List

Back