Can New Orleans Recover?

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Good insight into what is--and was--the City of New Orleans.

Will New Orleans Recover?
By Nicole Gelinas, City Journal
31 August 2005

It would be uplifting to write today of how the brave people of New Orleans will come together and help each other after Hurricane Katrina—and of course many are doing just that. Volunteers are navigating their boats around downed power lines and burbling gas mains to rescue fellow citizens still hanging onto rooftops in the water. Even as floodwaters still engulf the city, evacuees eagerly seek to return and rebuild their storied city—though they may not be able to do so for months.

But to anticipate what the city must go through now, after damming up its broken levees and pumping the floodwaters back into Lake Pontchartrain, is heartbreaking. No American city has ever gone through what New Orleans must go through: the complete (if temporary) flight of its most affluent and capable citizens, followed by social breakdown among those left behind, after which must come the total reconstruction of economic and physical infrastructure by a devastated populace.

And the locals and outsiders who try to help New Orleans in the weeks and months to come will do so with no local institutional infrastructure to back them up. New Orleans has no real competent government or civil infrastructure—and no aggressive media or organized citizens’ groups to prod public officials in the right direction during what will be, in the best-case scenario, a painstaking path to normalcy.

The truth is that even on a normal day, New Orleans is a sad city. Sure, tourists think New Orleans is fun: you can drink and hop from strip club to strip club all night on Bourbon Street, and gamble all your money away at Harrah’s. But the city’s decline over the past three decades has left it impoverished and lacking the resources to build its economy from within. New Orleans can’t take care of itself even when it is not 80 percent underwater; what is it going to do now, as waters continue to cripple it, and thousands of looters systematically destroy what Katrina left unscathed?

A city blessed with robust, professional police and fire forces, with capable government leaders, an informed citizenry, and a relatively resilient economy can overcome catastrophe, but it doesn’t emerge stronger: look at New York after 9/11. The richest big city in the country in more ways than one mustered every ounce of energy to clean up after 9/11 and to rebuild its economy and its downtown—but even so, competing special interests overcame citizens’ and officials’ best intentions. Ground Zero remains a hole, and New York, for all its resources, finds itself diminished, physically and economically, four years on.

In New Orleans, the recovery will be much, much harder. The city’s government has long suffered from incompetence and corruption. Just weeks before Katrina, federal officials indicted associates of the former mayor, Marc Morial, for alleged kickbacks and contract fraud. Morial did nothing to attract diversified private investment to his impoverished city during the greatest economic boom of the modern era.

http://www.city-journal.org/html/eon_08_31_05ng.html

personally, no i dont think that it will recover totally. that is alot of devastation. alot of "poor" peoples houses were flooded out. and isurance or not, its going to take a shit load of money for recovery. that is if they had insurance, or even semi adequate insurance. i foresee a mass exodus of the lower income residents

Johnney said:
i foresee a mass exodus of the lower income residents

If I were them, I would never go back if I could find a job somewhere else. The high crime rate of the city alone would be enough for me to look elsewhere.

The correct answer is?

WHO CARES? That city was nothing but a cess-pool anyway....

Johnney said:
personally, no i dont think that it will recover totally. that is alot of devastation. alot of "poor" peoples houses were flooded out. and isurance or not, its going to take a shit load of money for recovery. that is if they had insurance, or even semi adequate insurance. i foresee a mass exodus of the lower income residents

What?? ---you mean they won't start right off building new ghettos and projects ? Damn racists. :rolleyes:

I spoke with one of my buddies from NO. His work involves travel and he told his boss to just keep him on the road as long as possible because he has nothing to go home to. His house is underwater. He said he's so embarassed and ashamed of NO that he may not live there in the future, although he is a lifelong resident.

-Cp said:
The correct answer is?

WHO CARES? That city was nothing but a cess-pool anyway....

I do. Even if the people there live in a cess pool they are still human beings.

Besides, with out New Orleans gas prices are way too high and i want to be able to afford gas again.

I hope the people learn to rely on themselves from now on. This is a good example why you should rely on yourself and not government and why its important to not let the government be corrupt.

Forum List

Back