Can living your whole life under expreme air compression extend your life?

RandomPoster

Platinum Member
May 22, 2017
My friend is telling me that if we could put water over the earth, it would cause the earth to become highly pressurized and that if you combined that with a higher oxygen concentration, we would live longer. He compared it to living your entire life in an extremely highly pressurized pod close to the center of the earth with an extremely high concentration of oxygen being continually pumped in. The air pressure would have to be pushing human limits, except eventually our bodies would flourish and we would live for centuries. It would also protect us from harmful radiation from space. Additionally, if you were that close to the earth's core, the massive increase in gravity would increase our lifespan even more.

This got me to thinking. What if they created a space shuttle with extremely thick walls to shield from radiation, pressurized it as much as humans can withstand, rotated it fast enough to simulate gravity much higher than on the earth's surface, and had a ridiculously high level of oxygen. You would be burning massive calories simply walking around under high gravity in a compressed oxygen bubble and living a normal life would be like a constant excruciating workout at the gym with no rest except when you are sleeping. You would consume massive quantities of food and water and burn massive amounts of oxygen. Your metabolism and caloric burn would be insane. How long could you live?

My friend is telling me that if we could put water over the earth, it would cause the earth to become highly pressurized and that if you combined that with a higher oxygen concentration, we would live longer. He compared it to living your entire life in an extremely highly pressurized pod close to the center of the earth with an extremely high concentration of oxygen being continually pumped in. The air pressure would have to be pushing human limits, except eventually our bodies would flourish and we would live for centuries. It would also protect us from harmful radiation from space. Additionally, if you were that close to the earth's core, the massive increase in gravity would increase our lifespan even more.

This got me to thinking. What if they created a space shuttle with extremely thick walls to shield from radiation, pressurized it as much as humans can withstand, rotated it fast enough to simulate gravity much higher than on the earth's surface, and had a ridiculously high level of oxygen. You would be burning massive calories simply walking around under high gravity in a compressed oxygen bubble and living a normal life would be like a constant excruciating workout at the gym with no rest except when you are sleeping. You would consume massive quantities of food and water and burn massive amounts of oxygen. Your metabolism and caloric burn would be insane. How long could you live?

If that were a viable theory, people who live in the Andes and Rockies and Himalayas etc should have shorter lives.

If that were a viable theory, people who live in the Andes and Rockies and Himalayas etc should have shorter lives.

The gravity at the top of Mt. Everest is about 0.434% less than standard. Not much of a difference.
Do divers live longer?

What percentage of a diver's life is actually spent deep underwater?
Whatever it is its significantly more than other people.

It is probably a tiny fraction of 1 percent of the time from birth to death and the other 99+ percent of the time is spent on the surface like everyone else.

The gravity at the top of Mt. Everest is about 0.434% less than standard. Not much of a difference.
Do divers live longer?

It is probably a tiny fraction of 1 percent of the time from birth to death and the other 99+ percent of the time is spent on the surface like everyone else.

Dooooon't think so dood. Go up there and try to breathe.

'Bout 20 years ago eight people died in a single day on Everest. Most likely from hypoxia. The gravity there isn't the issue --- the lack of oxygen is. Which was your premise.

Do divers live longer?

I'm assuming from your answer you dont know any scuba divers? Well I do and they spend a lot of time underwater just training.

Interesting question. I would guess that a person's lungs & bronchial tubes would last forever because with the increased oxygen, they wouldn't have to wear themselves out giving your blood its proper O2 quota. I'm guessing your physical breathing would have a ride on easy street with a bunch of extra oxygen packed into the air.

Deep sea divers operate under the most pressurized environment on earth. The longer they operate under extreme pressure at the sea bottom, the longer it takes to decompress. Sometimes when they ascend in stages it takes up to six hours to decompress. Coming up too fast will give them the bends (Decompression Sickness) that could maim or kill the diver. One of my uncles was a deep sea diver in the '40s and '50s and would tell me stories about the bends and accidents.

Decompression+sickness.jpg

caissons-disease-4-638.jpg

What might be easier ... and allow you to live in typical earthlike conditions ... take a space ship full of folks and accelerated it at a constant 1G to 45,000 m/s (approx 15% of light speed) and they'll age 1% slower than the rest of us.

Deep sea divers operate under the most pressurized environment on earth. The longer they operate under extreme pressure at the sea bottom, the longer it takes to decompress. Sometimes when they ascend in stages it takes up to six hours to decompress. Coming up too fast will give them the bends (Decompression Sickness) that could maim or kill the diver. One of my uncles was a deep sea diver in the '40s and '50s and would tell me stories about the bends and accidents.

Decompression+sickness.jpg

caissons-disease-4-638.jpg

The bends occurs when you de-compress too rapidly. If you stayed compressed your entire life, you would not get the bends. Additionally, if there was less nitrogen in the air, your body wouldn't absorb as much. It would be burning massive quantities of oxygen simply engaging in everyday activities. Imagine suddenly weighing twice as much you do. Every single step you take for the rest of your life would be like fireman carrying your identical twin everywhere you go. Every object you lift would be twice as heavy. Your heart would have to work much harder to pump highly pressurized blood up against double gravity and would stay strong. However, you have an oxygen tank with you everywhere you go. You would be in phenomenal shape in no time at all. The average man, not an athlete or manual laborer, would be burning over 7,000 calories a day. Athletes and manual laborers might be burning 12,000 calories a day without getting obese. Imagine how long you would live.

Forum List

Back