Can I join the Army with an anxiety disorder?

Most armies have anxiety disorders. Which one do you want to join (and why)?

If you truly have your heart set on it - go for it!

The worst thing in life is to give up something because of fear.

As others have said, keep your mouth shut, raise your hand and repeat the oath, then spend the time after doing your best to do what it takes.

Good luck to you.

MSgt, US Army, Retired - Personnel/Admin Supervisor

:salute:

Don't mention it. They will give you a complete Physical. Do not take any of the medication for at least 6 months prior. If they do find out and ask why you didn't tell them tell them that you've been off the meds so long that you forgot.

But seriously, if you do have panic attacks the Army and especially the infantry is not for you. And what ever you decide don't be surprised if you are turned down or placed on a waiting list. A long waiting list....
How could they ever find out that I was diagnosed with it at one point though? I was thinking about just not even telling my actual recruiter (hence why I posted this) - nor the people at MEPS. I've had one panic attack, ever. And that was because I was being an ignorant, childish teenager and I tried marijuana and freaked out. Yeah, that...never again. Other than that, I don't get them.

Sometimes it's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

I agree with Ollie in recommending situational amnesia...of both the disorder AND the Mary Jane.

I also second his recommendation of a reconsideration of 11B...perhaps a rear echelon position like light wheel vehicle mechanic or truck driver, something where your training will translate into a civilian vocation..if all works out for the good, you can always reclassify into a combat arms mos...and if not, you have a fallback option.

If you truly have your heart set on it - go for it!

The worst thing in life is to give up something because of fear.

As others have said, keep your mouth shut, raise your hand and repeat the oath, then spend the time after doing your best to do what it takes.

Good luck to you.

MSgt, US Army, Retired - Personnel/Admin Supervisor

:salute:
Thank you! I've had my heart set on it for a long time now, and there's no way I'll give it up without a fight. I looked around online and people say that "no" is your best friend at MEPS.

Unless you underwent court ordered psychiatric evaluation your personal anxieties are your own little secret if you pass the physical.

Hi everyone,
I was recently diagnosed with a panic disorder (WITHOUT agoraphobia). I'm currently 17 years old, and I plan on enlisting this summer. I've only had a hand-full of panic attacks throughout my entire life. Joining the Army is all I've ever wanted, and I see some people saying you can join with it, and some say I can't. It's really worrying me, and I don't know what I'd possibly do if I couldn't join. If this helps - I hope to become an infantryman. I feel as if I was wrongfully diagnosed with the disorder - does that matter?

Anyways, can I join the Army with an anxiety disorder?

You may want to ask your recruiter this question.

Hi everyone,
I was recently diagnosed with a panic disorder (WITHOUT agoraphobia). I'm currently 17 years old, and I plan on enlisting this summer. I've only had a hand-full of panic attacks throughout my entire life. Joining the Army is all I've ever wanted, and I see some people saying you can join with it, and some say I can't. It's really worrying me, and I don't know what I'd possibly do if I couldn't join. If this helps - I hope to become an infantryman. I feel as if I was wrongfully diagnosed with the disorder - does that matter?

Anyways, can I join the Army with an anxiety disorder?

Of course! You will fit right in among sadists, trigger happy twats, criminal gang members and other elements currently welcomed into US army.

You shut the fuck up you vile miserable old hag.

BTW, it is a large misconception that Recruiters lie about everything. They don't tell you how tough it's going to be, so I suppose that's a lie by omission. But they don't lie to get you to sign up, they don't have to. They can almost pick and chose and it's going to get tougher to get in as the trend these days is smaller and smaller.....

There is no way I would want this individual in any of my units .If he is accepted it just goes to show how lax the standards have become. Having served 26 years and retiring as an SGM I can say for sure that a soldier with this problem is not totally capable of functioning in a combat arms unit where hi performance must be relied upon at all times. Perhaps he may qualify in a 'rear echelon' position.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back