Can I Get Your Opinion On This Mock Immigration Bill?

Rincon

Rookie
Jan 14, 2009
So in my AP Gov. class today we all made up bills and tomorrow we are going to debate over them. I am supposed to either debate for or aginst the following "bill" which suggests that

"The United States Customs and Border Patrol be given the federal jurisdiction and require that all local and state law enforcement agencies collaborate with the CBP when appropriate. In addition, increase border patrols at suspected high immigrant and drug traffic areas, and use un-manned surveillance systems in remote areas and 20 miles north of the border line. Also allow illegal immigrants that have been in the U.S. for five or more years, and have immediate family members that are U.S. citizens, to apply for citizenship by paying back taxes and assessed fines"

I really feel like I should debate against this bill for the simple fact that I have lived in Latin American countries before, and I honestly think that this bill won't really help as the immigration problem really falls on the latin american mindset of coming to America for a better life.

I was wondering if anyone could point out some other "hard" reasons to debate this bill. Thanks!

(P.S. I don't want anyone to think that they are doing my homework for me or anything like this. The debates are after school activities, and I volutarily signed up for the debate as I have witnessed illegal immigration first hand. I am just interested in hearing the ideas of others).

so In My Ap Gov. Class Today We All Made Up Bills And Tomorrow We Are Going To Debate Over Them. I Am Supposed To Either Debate For Or Aginst The Following "bill" Which Suggests That

"the United States Customs And Border Patrol Be Given The Federal Jurisdiction And Require That All Local And State Law Enforcement Agencies Collaborate With The Cbp When Appropriate. In Addition, Increase Border Patrols At Suspected High Immigrant And Drug Traffic Areas, And Use Un-manned Surveillance Systems In Remote Areas And 20 Miles North Of The Border Line. Also Allow Illegal Immigrants That Have Been In The U.s. For Five Or More Years, And Have Immediate Family Members That Are U.s. Citizens, To Apply For Citizenship By Paying Back Taxes And Assessed Fines"

I Really Feel Like I Should Debate Against This Bill For The Simple Fact That I Have Lived In Latin American Countries Before, And I Honestly Think That This Bill Won't Really Help As The Immigration Problem Really Falls On The Latin American Mindset Of Coming To America For A Better Life.

I Was Wondering If Anyone Could Point Out Some Other "hard" Reasons To Debate This Bill. Thanks!

(p.s. i Don't Want Anyone To Think That They Are Doing My Homework For Me Or Anything Like This. The Debates Are After School Activities, And I Volutarily Signed Up For The Debate As I Have Witnessed Illegal Immigration First Hand. I Am Just Interested In Hearing The Ideas Of Others).
Ok

Cut the class and go do something constructive, like play Halo 3

So in my AP Gov. class today we all made up bills and tomorrow we are going to debate over them. I am supposed to either debate for or aginst the following "bill" which suggests that

"The United States Customs and Border Patrol be given the federal jurisdiction and require that all local and state law enforcement agencies collaborate with the CBP when appropriate. In addition, increase border patrols at suspected high immigrant and drug traffic areas, and use un-manned surveillance systems in remote areas and 20 miles north of the border line. Also allow illegal immigrants that have been in the U.S. for five or more years, and have immediate family members that are U.S. citizens, to apply for citizenship by paying back taxes and assessed fines"

I really feel like I should debate against this bill for the simple fact that I have lived in Latin American countries before, and I honestly think that this bill won't really help as the immigration problem really falls on the latin american mindset of coming to America for a better life.

I was wondering if anyone could point out some other "hard" reasons to debate this bill. Thanks!

(P.S. I don't want anyone to think that they are doing my homework for me or anything like this. The debates are after school activities, and I volutarily signed up for the debate as I have witnessed illegal immigration first hand. I am just interested in hearing the ideas of others).

Here are some thoughts:

1. Immigration from central American countries north occurs primarily for economic reasons. Without a clause that addresses employers and their role in HIRING illegal immigrants, it's unlikely that these measure will cut the flow of illegals north into the U.S.

2. This puts the onus of responsibility on law enforcement, and will increase negative feelings between illegal immigrants and local law enforcement.

3. This measure does nothing to address illegal immigrants who come to the U.S. and commit crimes, often gang-related crimes.

As a former debater (high school and college), I applaud your activities. That's not really doing your job for you, because you'll need to do some research to substantiate and flesh out these ideas, but they will at least provide you with some avenues of research and a starting point.

Kudos.

Rewards criminals by allowing them to pay money to have their crimes overlooked.

They don't have that kind of money anyway, mostly.

Forum List

Back