Can I get some help and direction? I want to introduce a possible state bill

So you are saying that jobs should keep doing what they are doing, only hiring adults while more and more teens can't get a first job because all jobs now require experience?
Teens need an equal chance, but it's not something they are getting because all jobs require experience now (where are all the starter jobs/first jobs?) and adults are the only ones gett hired if there is a job thats applicable by teens.

It's simply been proven that this is an unfair problem.

There are plenty of jobs out there, but most of them are crap jobs. I worked in a pharmacy for $4.50 an hour in high school, then graduated to working with my dad as a handyman's assistant for $7.50 during off time from college.

In your case, I'm sure local fast food places are hiring, or some other type of menial low level crap job. Try that first.

Nope, all of them require experience now.
NASA just layed off the last of it's employees, so central florida just went to shit.
(yayy for living on the same island as nasa.....not
)

Go to the polls and choose wisely. Educate yourself and don't just pull the lever because someone told you who to vote for..

Obama has caused millions to lose their jobs, He is very anti business, he's all about high energy costs, high gasoline costs, food costs, health care costs.. Until that changes the economy is going to suck.

Citizens do not have the right generally to introduce or write legislation. That is why we elect representatives. However you can go to a legislator and try to get them to introduce and sponsor the legislation you want introduced. It is a slow process and here in Indiana the legislature starts working on new bills for next year now. Most representatives won't deal with non-constituents so you may be stuck with the one that was elected in your district. But you can e-mail or call all of them and from my experience this does get some good responses. Their email and phone numbers should be on the state website. You can also target certain representatives that may have like ideas and try to persuade them.

Last edited:
The bill will be about the selection of hiring of people. I want to propose a bill that will make it law for businesses to hire atleast soo many teens into their workforce in the state of Florida because the economy is crap and many many teens cannot get their life on the road or even atleast enjoy themselves doing something because they or their parents have NO money.

The bill will have different rules for different types of businesses.
Small Businesses: atleast 15% of workforce be teens.
Local Businesses: Atleast 20% of workforce be teens.
Large/Chain Businesses: Atleast 20% of workforce be teens.
Corperations/Enterprises/ETC: Atleast 10% of workforce be teens.

If the business only offers positions that require training and/or a degree in a special field, then they are exempt from the law.
Businesses that have positions that require a year or less of experience are NOT exempt, instead the business must consider the teen applicant as had met the experience requirements.

Teens who are subject to this law must be enrolled into a public school/Private academy with a minimum of a 2.5 weighted GPA. Those who do not meet these requirements will not be subject to this law and are to not allowed to be granted privileges by this law.

I don't know if I should make changes.
And once I'm done cleaning this bill up, how do I send it to be reviewed and to be voted on?

I want to do something about teens in this economy.
(if this is in the wrong place, can this kindly be moved into the right place?)

Who is your state congressperson for your district in FL?

What i would do is make up a general outline like you did then form a petition. Get a lot of signatures then forward the idea, with the signatures on the petition for your idea, to your congressperson. This will let them know the community wants it.

Then they can introduce the bill into the legislative process.

As a normal citizen you can't introduce a bill.

Or you can run for local office ;)

in an economy where people who need to support a family are unemployed and underemployed, those more experienced workers take the jobs that would have normally gone to entry level or teenaged employees.

They can do what kids have always done... Mow lawns, babysit, wash cars... And in their spare time they can intern and work for free in the area they ultimately want to work in... Just like we did when i was a kid. (although, to be fair, i always worked).

There's no basis for dictating that adolescents be prioritized over older, more experienced employees.

then how are the teens also going to get a job later in life when they have no experience because jobs arent hiring and/or there are no places to volunteer?

I have my diploma that i just got and 3 gold work certifications to go with that and still got nada.

1-800-usa-army

I've met with a recruiter and applied for a scholarship with my 4 years of ROTC in High School. I was turned down and told I can't even enlist into the frontlines without a scholarship because of my health condition/medicine I take. And I'm in shape.

So you are saying that jobs should keep doing what they are doing, only hiring adults while more and more teens can't get a first job because all jobs now require experience?
Teens need an equal chance, but it's not something they are getting because all jobs require experience now (where are all the starter jobs/first jobs?) and adults are the only ones gett hired if there is a job thats applicable by teens.

It's simply been proven that this is an unfair problem.

So you're saying you should be considered for a CFO position as a teen, head-to-head equal with a person who has 20 years experience in finance and two MBAs?

Read the first post. if the position requires more than a year of experience and/or special training/special degree for the job, it is exempt from the law.

I did read your first post. It's idiotic.
You don't write bills.
That's the first thing you have to realize.
Second, you want to be competetive in the work force - go to college, maintain an outstanding GPA - continue onto grad school. Or, join the military. You'll gain lots of experience there.

then how are the teens also going to get a job later in life when they have no experience because jobs arent hiring and/or there are no places to volunteer?

I have my diploma that i just got and 3 gold work certifications to go with that and still got nada.

1-800-usa-army

I've met with a recruiter and applied for a scholarship with my 4 years of ROTC in High School. I was turned down and told I can't even enlist into the frontlines without a scholarship because of my health condition/medicine I take. And I'm in shape.

Oh well. Go to college then. I recommend knocking all the 101's out at community college first.

The bill will be about the selection of hiring of people. I want to propose a bill that will make it law for businesses to hire atleast soo many teens into their workforce in the state of Florida because the economy is crap and many many teens cannot get their life on the road or even atleast enjoy themselves doing something because they or their parents have NO money.

If the business only offers positions that require training and/or a degree in a special field, then they are exempt from the law.
Businesses that have positions that require a year or less of experience are NOT exempt, instead the business must consider the teen applicant as had met the experience requirements.

Teens who are subject to this law must be enrolled into a public school/Private academy with a minimum of a 2.5 weighted GPA. Those who do not meet these requirements will not be subject to this law and are to not allowed to be granted privileges by this law.

And once I'm done cleaning this bill up, how do I send it to be reviewed and to be voted on?

Who is your state congressperson for your district in FL?

What i would do is make up a general outline like you did then form a petition. Get a lot of signatures then forward the idea, with the signatures on the petition for your idea, to your congressperson. This will let them know the community wants it.

Then they can introduce the bill into the legislative process.

As a normal citizen you can't introduce a bill.

Or you can run for local office ;)

:up:
many thanks.

but the concept needs to be cleaned up then before i present to others in attempt to gain their signatures.

1-800-usa-army

Oh well. Go to college then. I recommend knocking all the 101's out at community college first.

i am enrolled full time at my community college. i start in 2 1/2 weeks.
still trying to find a part time job aswell to buy a motorcycle so i can get around.

So you're saying you should be considered for a CFO position as a teen, head-to-head equal with a person who has 20 years experience in finance and two MBAs?

Read the first post. if the position requires more than a year of experience and/or special training/special degree for the job, it is exempt from the law.

I did read your first post. It's idiotic.
You don't write bills.
That's the first thing you have to realize.
Second, you want to be competetive in the work force - go to college, maintain an outstanding GPA - continue onto grad school. Or, join the military. You'll gain lots of experience there.

this is for teens trying to get their first job in high school.

And no matter what you hear from others I am glad to see someone who wants to do something. Too many people talk the talk but that is all they do. That is part of the failure of the political process in the
USA. For it to work the citizens must be active but here half do not even vote. They complain about spending and taxes but on election day they are sitting in a bar or in front of a TV. There are a few of us who do try and whether I agree with you or not I am glad to see you getting involved. If more people would get involved we might, as a country, get through these troubling times.

I had been pushing in Indiana for a law similar to some other states with regard to employment applications. Prospective employers are asking if people had felony convictions in their whole lifetime. People who were convicted of having marijuana 30 years ago were being denied employment. In some states it is illegal to ask for felony convictions for more than 7 years. I was emailing and getting responses from some representatives and they liked the idea. Although what they passed was different than other states it may be a better law. If you have a low grade non-violent felony conviction older than 8 years you can have that record sealed and the only law enforcement can get access to it. Employers will not be able to see it.

I know your one of them nitroz but teens are not the most desireable employees which is why many employers, especially in this market with TONS of people looking for work, avoid hiring them.

Not all teens are crappy workers but 90% seem to not undertand what having a good work ethic is. (this is speaking from my past experience as an operations manager for a retail chain)

I know your one of them nitroz but teens are not the most desireable employees which is why many employers, especially in this market with TONS of people looking for work, avoid hiring them.

Not all teens are crappy workers but 90% seem to not undertand what having a good work ethic is. (this is speaking from my past experience as an operations manager for a retail chain)

I know.
And indeed teens do need to have better work ethics.

I just want all the teens who want to do something about it to have a chance. >_<

And no matter what you hear from others I am glad to see someone who wants to do something. Too many people talk the talk but that is all they do. That is part of the failure of the political process in the
USA. For it to work the citizens must be active but here half do not even vote. They complain about spending and taxes but on election day they are sitting in a bar or in front of a TV. There are a few of us who do try and whether I agree with you or not I am glad to see you getting involved. If more people would get involved we might, as a country, get through these troubling times.

I had been pushing in Indiana for a law similar to some other states with regard to employment applications. Prospective employers are asking if people had felony convictions in their whole lifetime. People who were convicted of having marijuana 30 years ago were being denied employment. In some states it is illegal to ask for felony convictions for more than 7 years. I was emailing and getting responses from some representatives and they liked the idea. Although what they passed was different than other states it may be a better law. If you have a low grade non-violent felony conviction older than 8 years you can have that record sealed and the only law enforcement can get access to it. Employers will not be able to see it.

:)
thats why i like the people who pass state laws, they are fair.
everyone else just want things to how they see fit...

then what are teens supposed to do? not get hired and get a jump start on our lives because the adults took our jobs?

and the state of Florida allready dictates in some circumstances.

in an economy where people who need to support a family are unemployed and underemployed, those more experienced workers take the jobs that would have normally gone to entry level or teenaged employees.

they can do what kids have always done... mow lawns, babysit, wash cars... and in their spare time they can intern and work for free in the area they ultimately want to work in... just like we did when i was a kid. (although, to be fair, i always worked).

there's no basis for dictating that adolescents be prioritized over older, more experienced employees.

I knew you weren't a total idiot.
Right on. Life is tough all over.

It's a dumb idea, but I do understand that teen unemployment is a problem. I've heard people suggest paying them a lower minimum wage. That might be a better option. After all, they are worth less. :lol:

i don't believe in paying anyone less than minimum wage because it incentivizes underpayment and encourages replacement of qualified workers with undervalued employees.

but i'm all for funding teen jobs programs. it's one of the things government should do, particularly in conjunction with the private sector.

but good luck with that with anti-government people trying to take over.

A few of the teen jobs programs subsidize wages. The employer does pay less and in some cases, pay nothing at all for a set period of time. Has the same effect.

But as you know, I live in a tourist area where summer jobs are plentiful. Companies have to hire foreign workers simply because they need the help and many local kids don't like working. Shame when so many others across the country would love to have any job.

It's a dumb idea, but I do understand that teen unemployment is a problem. I've heard people suggest paying them a lower minimum wage. That might be a better option. After all, they are worth less. :lol:

i don't believe in paying anyone less than minimum wage because it incentivizes underpayment and encourages replacement of qualified workers with undervalued employees.

but i'm all for funding teen jobs programs. it's one of the things government should do, particularly in conjunction with the private sector.

I take back my compliment.

What is "underpaying" in the context of a teen unemployment rate nearly 40%? Or any scenario? There is a market for labor, like anything else. Some people are more valuable to a business than others.
Teens have many factors that mitigate against hiring them. Setting the floor above what they are worth guarantees high teen unemployment.

Of course you've never hired anyone but a cabdriver for a 2 mile ride, so what would you know, "counselor"?

I suggest you face east and walk about 300 miles.

I take back my compliment.

What is "underpaying" in the context of a teen unemployment rate nearly 40%? Or any scenario? There is a market for labor, like anything else. Some people are more valuable to a business than others.
Teens have many factors that mitigate against hiring them. Setting the floor above what they are worth guarantees high teen unemployment.

Of course you've never hired anyone but a cabdriver for a 2 mile ride, so what would you know, "counselor"?

Tell them to move to Texas. That state has the highest percentage of the workforce getting minimum wage.

Perry&#8217;s Texas Has Highest Percentage Of Minimum Wage Jobs In The Nation | ThinkProgress

Thanks Governor Perry. :clap2:

But I guess the workforce in Texas isn't worth as much as we are in Illinois which is the best state in the union to make a living.

Rankings of the Best 10 States for Making a Living

Forum List

Back