Can I get some help and direction? I want to introduce a possible state bill

nitroz

INDEPENDENTly ruthless
May 18, 2011
Merritt Island, FL
The bill will be about the selection of hiring of people. I want to propose a bill that will make it law for businesses to hire atleast soo many teens into their workforce in the state of Florida because the economy is crap and many many teens cannot get their life on the road or even atleast enjoy themselves doing something because they or their parents have NO money.

The bill will have different rules for different types of businesses.
Small Businesses: atleast 15% of workforce be teens.
Local Businesses: Atleast 20% of workforce be teens.
Large/Chain Businesses: Atleast 20% of workforce be teens.
Corperations/Enterprises/ETC: Atleast 10% of workforce be teens.

If the business only offers positions that require training and/or a degree in a special field, then they are exempt from the law.
Businesses that have positions that require a year or less of experience are NOT exempt, instead the business must consider the teen applicant as had met the experience requirements.

Teens who are subject to this law must be enrolled into a public school/Private academy with a minimum of a 2.5 weighted GPA. Those who do not meet these requirements will not be subject to this law and are to not allowed to be granted privileges by this law.

I don't know if I should make changes.
And once I'm done cleaning this bill up, how do I send it to be reviewed and to be voted on?

I want to do something about teens in this economy.
(if this is in the wrong place, can this kindly be moved into the right place?)

Why should the state of FL dictate who gets hired?

I have an appropriate place for your proposal. It is small and dark.

then what are teens supposed to do? not get hired and get a jump start on our lives because the adults took our jobs?

and the state of Florida allready dictates in some circumstances.

then what are teens supposed to do? not get hired and get a jump start on our lives because the adults took our jobs?

They can 'do' like the rest of the adults - it's a recession. Jobs are hard to find for everyone.

They can 'do' like the rest of the adults - it's a recession. Jobs are hard to find for everyone.

So you are saying that jobs should keep doing what they are doing, only hiring adults while more and more teens can't get a first job because all jobs now require experience?
Teens need an equal chance, but it's not something they are getting because all jobs require experience now (where are all the starter jobs/first jobs?) and adults are the only ones gett hired if there is a job thats applicable by teens.

It's simply been proven that this is an unfair problem.

Considering you are probably talking about full time jobs, you are talking about an age window of 3-4 years (assume some people drop out of high school).

A blanket requirement to hire young people would not work, as some jobs require advanced degrees, which requires college, which requires the person to be at least 20-21, (Doogie Howser M.D. aside).

Also what happens when a person turns 20? Do they get fired to make room for another teen? Or will your bill only require them to be teenagers at the time of hire?

Not a workable concept.

So you are saying that jobs should keep doing what they are doing, only hiring adults while more and more teens can't get a first job because all jobs now require experience?
Teens need an equal chance, but it's not something they are getting because all jobs require experience now (where are all the starter jobs/first jobs?) and adults are the only ones gett hired if there is a job thats applicable by teens.

Yes, I am saying one of the worst things to do is to dictate.

Authoritarians disagree with me.

There are plenty of jobs out there, but most of them are crap jobs. I worked in a pharmacy for $4.50 an hour in high school, then graduated to working with my dad as a handyman's assistant for $7.50 during off time from college.

In your case, I'm sure local fast food places are hiring, or some other type of menial low level crap job. Try that first.

in an economy where people who need to support a family are unemployed and underemployed, those more experienced workers take the jobs that would have normally gone to entry level or teenaged employees.

they can do what kids have always done... mow lawns, babysit, wash cars... and in their spare time they can intern and work for free in the area they ultimately want to work in... just like we did when i was a kid. (although, to be fair, i always worked).

there's no basis for dictating that adolescents be prioritized over older, more experienced employees.

Considering you are probably talking about full time jobs, you are talking about an age window of 3-4 years (assume some people drop out of high school).

A blanket requirement to hire young people would not work, as some jobs require advanced degrees, which requires college, which requires the person to be at least 20-21, (Doogie Howser M.D. aside).

Also what happens when a person turns 20? Do they get fired to make room for another teen? Or will your bill only require them to be teenagers at the time of hire?

Not a workable concept.

They have to be a teen at the time of hire and they will not be fired by simply aging. If they have aged and still have the job, it will be considered as a teen in the job until they quit or get fired.

There are plenty of jobs out there, but most of them are crap jobs. I worked in a pharmacy for $4.50 an hour in high school, then graduated to working with my dad as a handyman's assistant for $7.50 during off time from college.

In your case, I'm sure local fast food places are hiring, or some other type of menial low level crap job. Try that first.

Nope, all of them require experience now.
NASA just layed off the last of it's employees, so central florida just went to shit.
(yayy for living on the same island as nasa.....not)

The bill will be about the selection of hiring of people. I want to propose a bill that will make it law for businesses to hire atleast soo many teens into their workforce in the state of Florida because the economy is crap and many many teens cannot get their life on the road or even atleast enjoy themselves doing something because they or their parents have NO money.

If the business only offers positions that require training and/or a degree in a special field, then they are exempt from the law.
Businesses that have positions that require a year or less of experience are NOT exempt, instead the business must consider the teen applicant as had met the experience requirements.

Teens who are subject to this law must be enrolled into a public school/Private academy with a minimum of a 2.5 weighted GPA. Those who do not meet these requirements will not be subject to this law and are to not allowed to be granted privileges by this law.

And once I'm done cleaning this bill up, how do I send it to be reviewed and to be voted on?

Are you going to pee in the cup? Cut your hair? Stay off drugs? Brush your teeth? and give half of your paycheck to your mom? Oh and you have to take your piercings out too.

Last edited:

The adults have faimilies to feed.

Are you going to pee in the cup? Cut your hair? Stay off drugs? Brush your teeth? and give half of your paycheck to your mom?

yes.
I don't do drugs in the first place and I keep my hygiene up. :|

half is better than none at all...

So you're saying you should be considered for a CFO position as a teen, head-to-head equal with a person who has 20 years experience in finance and two MBAs?

It's a dumb idea, but I do understand that teen unemployment is a problem. I've heard people suggest paying them a lower minimum wage. That might be a better option. After all, they are worth less. :lol:

in an economy where people who need to support a family are unemployed and underemployed, those more experienced workers take the jobs that would have normally gone to entry level or teenaged employees.

they can do what kids have always done... mow lawns, babysit, wash cars... and in their spare time they can intern and work for free in the area they ultimately want to work in... just like we did when i was a kid. (although, to be fair, i always worked).

there's no basis for dictating that adolescents be prioritized over older, more experienced employees.

Then how are the teens also going to get a job later in life when they have no experience because jobs arent hiring and/or there are no places to volunteer?

I have my diploma that I just got and 3 gold work certifications to go with that and still got nada.

then what are teens supposed to do? Not get hired and get a jump start on our lives because the adults took our jobs?

And the state of florida allready dictates in some circumstances.

They can do what kids have always done... Mow lawns, babysit, wash cars... And in their spare time they can intern and work for free in the area they ultimately want to work in... Just like we did when i was a kid. (although, to be fair, i always worked).

There's no basis for dictating that adolescents be prioritized over older, more experienced employees.

then how are the teens also going to get a job later in life when they have no experience because jobs arent hiring and/or there are no places to volunteer?

I have my diploma that i just got and 3 gold work certifications to go with that and still got nada.

1-800-usa-army

So you're saying you should be considered for a CFO position as a teen, head-to-head equal with a person who has 20 years experience in finance and two MBAs?

Read the first post. if the position requires more than a year of experience and/or special training/special degree for the job, it is exempt from the law.

Forum List

Back