Can entertainment change an society's worldview?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
First off I am a child of the 2000s. I was raised in a conservative family who went to church every Sunday. I was sheltered. I was very superstitious and believed in demons and ghosts.

After becoming independent after high school graduation I became interest in meeting other people and discovering new beliefs.

After getting tired of military shooter video games I picked up games like Mass Effect, The Sims, To The Moon, and Valiant Hearts.

Mass Effect made me desire a future full of spaceships and cool looking aliens. I became more excited for a Star Trek like future than the second return of Christ. I remember watching those cheesy Left Behind movies. After experiencing Mass Effect and the MCU I am done with the fundamentalist end times obsession.

Can't believe I ever took this seriously.

I also loved The Sims. It was fun seeing two hot chicks kiss each other.
47a98b7fb0d5a638e185932585859773.png

Shortly before gay marriage was legalized across the US several of my childhood friends came out of the closet. It wasn't until that moment I finally decided that full unwavering support for LGBT rights would be part of my ideology.

I want to believe in a kind compassionate creator of the universe. Not some long bearded man who throws the unworthy into pools of fire!

I now think science, technology, and sexual freedom are more exciting than my old beliefs!

Has anyone here knew someone who has changed that much? Can culture really change a person's views?

Forum List

Back