Can Democrats "DO" Religion???

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Can the Democrats do religion
Rich Lowry

March 24, 2005

Howard Dean rolled into red-state Tennessee during Holy Week and promptly quoted Scripture twice. While Billy Graham shouldn't yet worry about being eclipsed by the Democratic National Committee chairman, Dean is an aggressive participant in a partywide attempt in the wake of the 2004 elections to, as they say in the revival meetings, "get right with God."

There is much good in this: The Democrats need to demonstrate greater openness to religion, and in the past, faith has informed great liberal causes, including the civil-rights movement. But there has been a fumbling quality to the Democrats' recent grappling with politics and religion, bringing to mind the old Casey Stengel plaint about his hapless New York Mets: "Can't anyone here play this game?"

Dean, who used to be famously uncomfortable talking about religion, is trying his best. But the effort behind his trying shows, which gives his religious references an off-key feel. A few weeks ago Dean compared Republicans to the rules-obsessed Pharisees and the Sadducees, pretty deep biblical allusions for someone who not too long ago thought the Book of Job was in the New Testament. You can imagine the briefing for Dean prior to this statement: "Mr. Chairman, it's pronounced - now repeat after me -- 'sad'ue-seez, sad'-ue-seez.' Got it?"

Democrats oddly tend to go too far, overadjusting, when they do God talk. In his desperation to invoke religion toward the end of the 2004 campaign, John Kerry compared George Bush to a "false prophet" from the Bible, a harsh charge given that false prophets could be stoned or crucified. Howard Dean said in February, "When you think of the New Testament, [Republicans] get about two of the values, and we get about 27." Dean's bottom line: Democrats are better Christians than Republicans. While it's possible to imagine some televangelist on the conservative side making the opposite claim, no responsible figure in the GOP would ever say such a thing.
more..........
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/richlowry/printrl20050324.shtml

They dont seem to get that religion isnt a game. its a way of life. Pretending to have faith is even more insultling than not having it. We aren't dumb. we can tell sincere people from serious people. you dont try to pretend to have such a faith because its just mocking those who really do.

Zhukov said:
Not having faith is insulting? To whom?

Perhaps you meant: pretending to have faith is even more insulting than belittling those that do.

I misspoke. not having faith isnt insulting but its offensive to try to pretend to have faith and act like people are stupid if they dont blindly accept you when they can tell your insincerity. does that make any more sense?

I misspoke. not having faith isnt insulting but its offensive to try to pretend to have faith and act like people are stupid if they dont blindly accept you when they can tell your insincerity. does that make any more sense?

works for me and a good point !

Lowry: "At a practical political level, the Democrats have a problem, given that secular voters and the only- mildly religious overwhelmingly belong to their party."

Anything coming from the lib Democrats re religion has nothing to do with faith and everything to do with duping those they think are idiots to get the power back. Beware the wolf in sheep's clothing.

Adam's Apple said:
Lowry: "At a practical political level, the Democrats have a problem, given that secular voters and the only- mildly religious overwhelmingly belong to their party."

Anything coming from the lib Democrats re religion has nothing to do with faith and everything to do with duping those they think are idiots to get the power back. Beware the wolf in sheep's clothing.

Bingo. They don't practice religion to lead a better life for themselves and others, they practice religion to get votes. Disgusting.

theim said:
Bingo. They don't practice religion to lead a better life for themselves and others, they practice religion to get votes. Disgusting.

What I see as an even worse phenomena taking place is this notion that Dems/Libs who regularly denounces any type of religous overtones filtering into our government in any capacity has, since the last election shifted to a so- called more tolerant and open attitude towards religion, but really have only repackaged that to embrace secular humanism being passed off as morality and religion. They just don't embrace morality as religious people see, and to be that disengenuine to try and pass humanism off as religion is just another in the long line of smug slaps in the face.

Well, Bonnie, you know that old saying "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." If people haven't caught on to the libs and religion by now, there's little hope that they ever will.

Forum List

Back