Can Congress Mandate Weight Watchers?

You sir are incorrect.

How so? Tell me what you think happens if you choose not to purchase insurance.

You will be fined.

http://docs.house.gov/energycommerce/ppacacon.pdf

Section 1501, begin around page 145.

Thanks, but you should have kept reading...

"In the case of any failure by a taxpayer to timely pay any penalty imposed
by this section, such taxpayer shall not be subject to
any criminal prosecution or penalty with respect to such
failure."

So it looks like since there will be no criminal prosecution or penalty then like I said....no one is being forced to buy anything.

No one is being forced to buy anything.

Fascinating. How do you convince yourself of that? And if that were really the case, why call it a mandate? How's about the 'individual suggestion'?

So, you are ordered to do something and if you don't comply, you are penalized. How is that not force? If someone threatens to take all your money if you don't do what they say, don't you not consider that an act of force? Especially when they are authorized to use force to get their way (as in the case of the government).

You will be levied a fine by the IRS. When you pay your taxes, they will first apply whatever money you give them to the fine. Then, assuming you only gave the enough to cover your legitimate taxes, they will insist that you pay the remainder. If you don't, you will be prosecuted for refusing to pay your taxes.

Do you really think the government has no intention of enforcing the mandate? Do you really think they are that stupid?

So it looks like since there will be no criminal prosecution or penalty then like I said....no one is being forced to buy anything.

Do you really believe that???

The fine is counted as part of your tax bill, and it is illegal to refuse to pay your taxes. Think about, why would the bother to pass a law they can't enforce? Does that make any sense to you at all?

Just as much sense as complaining about having to purchase something that you were already going to purchase anyway.

Believe if you want to or not, the bill states that no penalty will be enforced for failure to comply. For me just like 99% of the people complaining about this, it's a non-issue anyway. At least in a real-world, every day sense.

George Will marvelously asked the group, "Does Congress have the constitutional power to require obese people to sign up for Weight Watchers? If not, why not?"

RICHARD STENGEL, TIME MAGAZINE

STENGEL: I don't know the answer to that.

WILL: You don't know.

MICHAEL ERIC DYSON, GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY: Well, the beauty of that is, the not knowing -- and we can predict that Rick would say that because he's saying that's the color of the curtain. The basic foundation is set.

WILL: Is that a yes, Congress does have the power to mandate?

DYSON: It's open. If they decide that they will, they will have the power to do so.

Read more: George Will Asks This Week Panel: Can Congress Require Obese People to Sign Up for Weight Watchers? | NewsBusters.org

Video at the link.

Funny comment from the article:

That would be a wonderful irony, if this Obamacare mandate is upheld! That being that the biggest supporters (no pun intended) of this mandate are overweight people who can't control their lives, and are expecting something FREE from Obamacare, and government workers, who by and large are "something for nothing" kind of people.

Can you imagine the fun that the rest of us would have watching obese drains on society having to go on government mandated diets?!?! And Gub'mint workers being told what they can and can't partake of on their own time?!?!

That would be, as Noel would say, a delicious irony!

Submitted by WhoIsJohnGalt on Sun, 07/03/2011 - 8:20pm.

You will be fined.

failure."

:lol: Good luck with that!

Let's get this straight. George Will asks a "what if" question and the wingnuts act as if it's a mandate from Obama?!?! :cuckoo:

Yes!
That is exactly what I believed when I finished reading the article!

:cuckoo:

I think that these 'liberals' have spent so many years being told what they think that they cannot understand that other people still dare to think for themselves. They don't question the authority of their media.... and assume that we don't question it either.

Pity the fools.

George Will marvelously asked the group, "Does Congress have the constitutional power to require obese people to sign up for Weight Watchers? If not, why not?"

MICHAEL ERIC DYSON, GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY: Well, the beauty of that is, the not knowing -- and we can predict that Rick would say that because he's saying that's the color of the curtain. The basic foundation is set.

DYSON: It's open. If they decide that they will, they will have the power to do so.

Read more: George Will Asks This Week Panel: Can Congress Require Obese People to Sign Up for Weight Watchers? | NewsBusters.org

Video at the link.

Well I'm fat and am unwilling to pay to join a gym.

so cough up the wellfare muther fukkers!! Daddy needs to live to soak up all his SS before it's all gone.

or I could cut back on the fried chicken.

meh

welfare for the gym it is! :lol:

Of course, if this non-sense ever floated, like obama care, we would have to have people inspect the food supplies of fat people, and send them to school to teach them how to prepare it in a healthy manner.

Or we tax that fat ass for all it's worth.

Video at the link.

Which is why anyone with a brain that understands unintended consequences opposes the individual mandate in Obamacare.

Let's get this straight. George Will asks a "what if" question and the wingnuts act as if it's a mandate from Obama?!?! :cuckoo:

No, we recoil in horror at the answers. Why are you so casual about it? Would you be happy if the government suddenly decided everyone should buy tree house?

Of course the answer would be "no", but that's not the point. Y'all are acting as if Obama had said "yes". How can we take anything the right says seriously, when they take as "fact" things that were never even said. Gore's "inventing" the internet comes to mind. Are we seeing one of the opening salvos of '12, where this "question" will become a "fact"?

Why is the answer No? If the Government can make you buy insurance, they can make you sign up for weight watcher.

No one is being forced to buy anything. So the answer to the question is no, the government can not force anyone to join weight watchers.

I know, you still think it is a tax, even though no one with any legal knowledge thinks it is.

You will be fined.

failure."

That does not mean you will not be subject to civil, administrative, or tax law prosecution and punishment, does it? Nice of you to miss the entire point of having a mandate and enforcing it through the IRS though, it proves you have your head up the DNC donkey's ass.

Forum List

Back