Can Canada and USA be unified into One Country?

Canada and the USA are two big countries adjacent to each other.
There are many similarities between Canada and the USA.
Both countries have the same colonial history.
Both countries have the same culture and language.
Both countries have the same lifestyle.
Both countries are nations composed of descendants of immigrants.
Both countries have the same political system and economic system.
Both countries have the same developed and industrialized economy.
Both countries are closely linked with each other in economy.
Since there are so many similarities between Canada and the USA,
the two countries are adjacent in geography and are so integrated in economy,
is it possible for Canada and the USA to be unified into one country?
After unification, this new country will be the largest country in the world.
The idea of unification sounds crazy. Well, a book has been published to explore such possibility.
This book explores
unification between Canada and the USA,
unification between Mexico and its two small southern neighbors,
unification between Chile and Argentina,
unification between France and the two tiny states along its southern border,
unification between South Africa and Lesotho, and
unification between a few pairs of other small countries.
This book can be found in Barnes and Noble, Amazon,
PublishAmerica (publisher) and other websites. We can simply search GOOGLE.
Book title is “REDRAWING WORLD MAP”.
Book subtitle is “EXPLORATION OF UNIFICATION BETWEEN COUNTRIES”.
This book explains that, unification between countries, in some cases, is possible.
Why would Canada want to do this?

Canada does not have "civil servant health care". Most doctors are in private practice. Labs and clinics are privately owned, as are many hospitals.

Municipally owned hospitals are operated by medical professionals, not civil servants. They have independent Boards of Directors.

Our system provides high quality health care for our entire population at slightly more than half the per capita cost of American health care.

As a working, middle class Canadian living in the United States, and having experienced both systems, I'd rather have American healthcare than Canadian healthcare. However, if I were chronically unemployed or lower middle class or worse, I'd rather be in the Canadian system.

The American system is geared to those for whom money is not an issue. Chris Rock talked about this on a talk show one night after his mother had been ill. He said that there are two kinds of health care in America: one system for the rich, and another for the poor. His father got sick before Chris was rich and his mother became ill after Chris had made it. The difference in the quality of their care was shocking. His mother was a lot sicker than his father had been and she survived. His father died even though he hadn't been as sick.

I'd rather live in a country where everyone receives quality medical treatment regardless of their resources.

The American system is geared to those for whom money is not an issue. Chris Rock talked about this on a talk show one night after his mother had been ill. He said that there are two kinds of health care in America: one system for the rich, and another for the poor. His father got sick before Chris was rich and his mother became ill after Chris had made it. The difference in the quality of their care was shocking. His mother was a lot sicker than his father had been and she survived. His father died even though he hadn't been as sick.

I'd rather live in a country where everyone receives quality medical treatment regardless of their resources.

I'd agree. Except that most people are neither rich nor poor. They are middle class.

And as a member of the working middle class in America, and having been a part of the Canadian system for nearly 30 years and watching my wife's parents die in Canada recently, it is my opinion that the US system is better if one is working middle class. If I were poor and unemployed, I would rather be in Canada.

population-distribution-canada.gif

Canada is planning an invasion right now

Two thirds of their population is massed at our border. We will have no defense against the Canadian hordes
Canada couldn't invade a paper bag.

Thats what you think

Canada has its population massed at the US border ready to invade. The US is whining about a bunch of Mexicans sneaking across the border and will be looking in the wrong direction when the invasion comes

"Can Canada and USA be unified into One Country?"

No.

The former is a democracy and the latter a Constitutional Republic, the citizens of neither willing to give up either.

It will eventually happen. Europeans are forming unions, BRICS, Russians recently got into one.

I am guessing Liberals will convince us it is "economically neccessary in changing the world."

Canada and the US are so fundamentally different that no Canadian in his or her right mind would ever agree to it.

We do not share a similar history or culture. The US was a country born of revolution and war, and is based on a Constitution which was written over 200 years ago, and is sorely out of date.

In Canada, women have equal rights to, full reproductive freedom of choice, and gays have equal rights as well. Handguns are strictly controlled and we want to keep it that way. And by and large, we trust and respect our government.

We have government funded health care, which you will have to pry from our cold dead fingers. You have no idea how much Canadians love their health care and think yours is a piece of shit. Our education system is also better and cheaper. Our cities are more liveable, and Canada is consistently rated one of the best countries in
the world to live in.

Yours is a country divided against itself and as a result, the US is declining both socially and economically. Why would we want to take on your mess?

Is that why they come here for sophisticated medical treatment?

If medical care in the U.S. is so great, why do Canadians, on average, live 3 years longer than Americans? Canada is 11th on the life expectancy list. The U.S. is 36th.

Its called buying your own health insurance.
Resolves most problems.

We pay taxes and in doing so we are paying for our own health insurance. What we are not paying for is ridiculously overpriced hospitals charging 4 times the cost of drugs, and tests. Nor are we paying administration costs in excess of 30%.

I also have no co-pays on doctors' visits or hospital stays unless I elect to upgrade my room and a $2.00 co-pay on drugs. I have no paperwork to complete on any of this, and my doctor doesn't need to get anyone's approval but mine before treating me.

Your system is so overloaded with paperwork and administration that frustrates both medical staff and patients. Our system is geared to focus on efficient treatment. Doctors can see more patients because they're not dealing with insurance companies or third party billing.

Patients can focus on getting well, not filling out forms and fighting to get payment.

We spend much less per patient and get better results. Our population is healthier and lives longer, in spite of diets and lifestyles which are very similar.

To the above canadian...you make me laugh....no matter what you spout... arrogance and false pride does NOT and has NOT made canada significant in any way. Without the US, canada wold be a 3rd world country.

This thread needs to be moved to the canadian form...I am sick of hearing the canucks.

Canada does not have "civil servant health care". Most doctors are in private practice. Labs and clinics are privately owned, as are many hospitals.

Municipally owned hospitals are operated by medical professionals, not civil servants. They have independent Boards of Directors.

Our system provides high quality health care for our entire population at slightly more than half the per capita cost of American health care.

I have to tell you something that you may already know, we have a group of people who believe in the free market and competition and that applies to healthcare.
Look what these have given us, we have the highest cost for healthcare in the world by far. The US ranks 36th, 40th and 51st in life expectancy in three separate studies* and damn it, if we want to live shorter lives, we're doing it all in the name of capitalism. But all this doesn't count because we are told by the US healthcare industry and their bought politicians that "the US has the best heathcare in the world," so it must be true!
* List of countries by life expectancy - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
0006_health-care-oecd-crop.gif

No.

The former is a democracy and the latter a Constitutional Republic, the citizens of neither willing to give up either.

It will eventually happen. Europeans are forming unions, BRICS, Russians recently got into one.

I am guessing Liberals will convince us it is "economically neccessary in changing the world."

It will happen when the capitol of the new country is Ottawa, the US Constitution is replaced by the Canadian one, French becomes an official language, all the states are called provinces, and the red and white maple leaf is the flag.

No.

It will happen when the capitol of the new country is Ottawa, the US Constitution is replaced by the Canadian one, French becomes an official language, all the states are called provinces, and the red and white maple leaf is the flag.
Toro, you make me laugh. Truth is, canada has little to offer...the US will never consider merge with such an insignificant nation.

Forum List

Back