Can Atheists be Moral?

Ohhh so I cannot find Jewish folks who believe in the God of the Bible..

ahhhhkayyyyyy

You're just being an apologist because you found a few things in the Bible and youre incapable of reconciling them.

#1. Allegories that convey common sense wisdom.

#2. Direct commandments to worship a God.

#3. Ridiculous contradictions.

And in order for you to reconcile all of that, you use a presupposed apologetic that it all falls under #1, which it doesnt and thats established based on the History and testimony.
I'm sure you can find many Jews who believe in God. They just won't ever believe that he became a human being or is edible.

I think your argument should be with people who profess to believe such nonsense.
They're no less ridiculous than folks who believe in a metaphorical edible.

They, too, believe in something not empirically proven or even evident.

You cannot use the same terrible reasoning and mock one and not the other because that's hypocritical, and lacks something like a spine.

Hey man. I do mock the literal the symbolic and your dismissal of it all as nonsense. There was nothing mysterious or ridiculous about Jesus speaking in figurative terms and clearly identifying bread as a metaphor for teaching. He was speaking in code like all oppressed people, criminals and ordinary people do when they want to communicate in secret.

The preexisting metaphor for the word of God, bread from heaven, became the flesh of Jesus, a new metaphor for teaching from God.

The body of any persons teaching is easily proven to exist, even easy to consume and digest even if a symbolic or literal eating of the teacher ritual is ridiculous and accomplishes nothing..

If you adopt the body of any persons teaching then that body is in you and with you.

The words of the law are figurative, the subjects hidden, and not directly connected to the literal meaning of the words used. In kosher law, the flesh of one creature or another whether clean or unclean is a metaphor for teaching. This is the subject of kosher law. This reveals the wisdom of God. This is the Body of Christ.

Jesus taught and demonstrated by example the only right way to understand and fulfill the laws demands that removes the burden of the law, death, (the curse for failing to heed the instruction), reveals the wisdom of God, and fulfills the promise of eternal life for anyone who accepts that teaching and acts on it.

This is my flesh.

Now its in you, like a flame in the brush of a deadwood forest on a windy day, and you can't do a damn thing about it.
Man, your psychobabble is not really any more coherent than a literalist. At the end of the day, the same idea applies: God is not proven. YHWH is not proven.

Nor is zeus, or Jesus at all. I dont really care what you think about the aim of a fairy tale.

lol...I understand that and its fine by me. Still I find it rather stupid to try to discredit a fairy tale by saying there is no proof that God exists. He really is a character in a book that anyone can read. Do you need proof for that?

Thats would be like hearing about the pied piper and then demanding proof of his existence without even trying to discern the teaching conveyed by reading and thinking deeply about what was written. Either way, whatever you believe or don't believe, whether you understand the lessons of the past or fail to, you will pay the piper.

At the end of the day, lol, whether you like it or not, our entire society, perceptions of good and evil, crime and punishment, who lives and who dies, who is admired and who is hated, is based on the ideas of perverse and irrational people who claim to believe it all yet have not thought any more deeply about scripture than you have.

How do you intend to deal with that fact if you really don't care and can't be bothered to take a stand about what is the right or wrong way to understand what was written? Find a hole in a wall, crawl inside and die?

Go ahead and continue to tell everyone that they are wrong without having the slightest clue about what is right while openly admitting that you don't give a crap and see how far you get you intellectually lazy and morally deficient bastard.
thats a claim

i dont think our ideas are based on those writings, i think it was the other way around. those writings borrowed from secular humanity, and got a ton of the shit wrong anyhow.

Your argument misrepresents God, but it perfectly sums up the underlying argument of everyone who doesn't believe in God.

God is not human. God does not have feelings. Human feelings are one of the ways we experience the world of which God is the creator.

God does not change.

God does not need free will, as he operates outside the space time continuum. He sees the past, present and future simultaneously, so his will and plan is perfect.The

Still, it's your post modernist argument that each person's subjective experience is more valid than that of an entity so powerful it created the universe and everything in it.

You see unbelief comes down to a very simple choice. Do I submit to something greater than myself or do I seek to elevate myself, so I don't have to submit to anything and I can act in accordance with my selfish and base desires.

It's the latter choice which is the source of all human suffering.
You didnt answer the objection succinctly - the bible uses specific adjectives to describe God's emotions, and you just denied it based on you said so.

Second, I didnt apply subjectivism based on any 1 human individual, so that wasn't pertinent but was a strawman. I appealed to measured human suffering, something concrete as opposed to God who is 1 subject that has emotions, whose morals at least described in the Bible DID change and his adjective of being "un changing" is just another Biblical contradiction ~ and it also causes more logical issues than it resolves.

Well there is a long history of biblical scholarship that addresses these issues, but since I doubt that you want to educate yourself on it, I thought I'd provide the cliffs notes version for you.

I believe the use of Human emotions to explain God's behavior represents a challenge in translating God to us. The use of emotions is less about God's state of mind and more about we as limited beings understand how and why God moves.

Your whole argument was subjective although you artfully tried to dress it up as something else.

Human suffering is far from concrete (as the 21st century has proven), but it is easier to understand than a super natural entity powerful enough to create the universe and everything in it.

Ironically, that is why Jesus is such an important part of the Bible story. Through Jesus, God became a man, to show us that he fully understands us though we continue to struggle to understand God.
Now you're just special pleading. You want to explain away God's described emotions by saying they were simple place-holders, and a function of a misunderstanding ~ but you did not establish that as fact it's just a claim. Decoder ring fallacy.

The problem is scale.

you're still thinking of God as a super powerful humanoid with a white beard sitting on a cloud.

Like Bible translators, science and philosophy are limited by human understanding.

Imagine that God is the proton, the neutron, the electrons and the nuclear glue holding them together. Imagine God is both energy and matter.
Thats just more special pleading.

The Bible says what it says - if you believe it is in error on ascribing adjectives to God, then it seems you have a bit of a problem on your hands.

I don't see it as a problem. As an intelligent and ever questioning Christian, I see studying scripture and thinking through how the written word is consistent with the nature of God, as expressed through the life of the person of Jesus Christ, as a challenge that strengthens my faith.

But, I understand you argument. If you can't fully understand God in human terms, then you don't believe in God.

With our disagreement clarified, I leave the thread with a questiob: Would a God you could fully understand in human terms be God or would he just be a super powerful humanoid?

The bottom line is that you refuse to submit to a entity more powerful than yourself and plan to rely on your own intellect as you function as your own god (the small g is on purpose here)

Of course you could have said this directly and succinctly in your first post, but then you wouldn't have had a chance to show everyone here how smart you think you are...

You didnt answer the objection succinctly - the bible uses specific adjectives to describe God's emotions, and you just denied it based on you said so.

Second, I didnt apply subjectivism based on any 1 human individual, so that wasn't pertinent but was a strawman. I appealed to measured human suffering, something concrete as opposed to God who is 1 subject that has emotions, whose morals at least described in the Bible DID change and his adjective of being "un changing" is just another Biblical contradiction ~ and it also causes more logical issues than it resolves.

Well there is a long history of biblical scholarship that addresses these issues, but since I doubt that you want to educate yourself on it, I thought I'd provide the cliffs notes version for you.

I believe the use of Human emotions to explain God's behavior represents a challenge in translating God to us. The use of emotions is less about God's state of mind and more about we as limited beings understand how and why God moves.

Your whole argument was subjective although you artfully tried to dress it up as something else.

Human suffering is far from concrete (as the 21st century has proven), but it is easier to understand than a super natural entity powerful enough to create the universe and everything in it.

Ironically, that is why Jesus is such an important part of the Bible story. Through Jesus, God became a man, to show us that he fully understands us though we continue to struggle to understand God.
Now you're just special pleading. You want to explain away God's described emotions by saying they were simple place-holders, and a function of a misunderstanding ~ but you did not establish that as fact it's just a claim. Decoder ring fallacy.

The problem is scale.

you're still thinking of God as a super powerful humanoid with a white beard sitting on a cloud.

Like Bible translators, science and philosophy are limited by human understanding.

Imagine that God is the proton, the neutron, the electrons and the nuclear glue holding them together. Imagine God is both energy and matter.

The Bible says what it says - if you believe it is in error on ascribing adjectives to God, then it seems you have a bit of a problem on your hands.

I don't see it as a problem. As an intelligent and ever questioning Christian, I see studying scripture and thinking through how the written word is consistent with the nature of God, as expressed through the life of the person of Jesus Christ, as a challenge that strengthens my faith.

But, I understand you argument. If you can't fully understand God in human terms, then you don't believe in God.

With our disagreement clarified, I leave the thread with a questiob: Would a God you could fully understand in human terms be God or would he just be a super powerful humanoid?

The bottom line is that you refuse to submit to a entity more powerful than yourself and plan to rely on your own intellect as you function as your own god (the small g is on purpose here)

Of course you could have said this directly and succinctly in your first post, but then you wouldn't have had a chance to show everyone here how smart you think you are...
A god that has the predisposed desire for folks have faith to worship him, attempting to make him/itself apparent via scriptures, would be doing a pathetic job in the sense youve just described.

The problem is scale.

A god that has the predisposed desire for folks have faith to worship him, attempting to make him/itself apparent via scriptures, would be doing a pathetic job in the sense youve just described.
Hey! He has chicks to impregnate which is time consuming..

The problem is scale.

Once again you are ascribing human traits to God who is not some super powerful humanoid.

The problem is scale.

Once again you are ascribing human traits to God who is not some super powerful humanoid.
To the god that described him/itself this way, allegedly, to humans.

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm
The problem is scale.

Jesus put off his Godhood and became a man, because it was the only way to redeem mankind, but the portion of the triune being that is God remained God.

Billy Graham once said that a little bit of Christianity can be like a vaccine that prevents you from getting the while thing. I'm starting to believe you know\understand much less about Christianity than you let on.

Jesus put off his Godhood and became a man, because it was the only way to redeem mankind, but the portion of the triune being that is God remained God.

Billy Graham once said that a little bit of Christianity can be like a vaccine that prevents you from getting the while thing. I'm starting to believe you know\understand much less about Christianity than you let on.
You're entitled to your beliefs - I enjoy philosophical discussions and cross-examining that's all. It's never personal unless someone makes it so.

Which is why no one believes in "that god". Making up such a god and claiming that is the God people of faith worship is simple gibberish. I also assert that it is not God doing a pathetic job, it is the individual doing a pathetic job of studying and understanding thousands of year old scriptures. Today it appears popular (among some who haven't a clue as to scripture's original intent and meaning of Biblical stories) to blame God. What deserves a good a good look is the approach currently being taken by atheists towards God (i.e., claiming scripture means something other than the original authors intended).

At the end of the day, lol, whether you like it or not, our entire society, perceptions of good and evil, crime and punishment, who lives and who dies, who is admired and who is hated, is based on the ideas of perverse and irrational people who claim to believe it all yet have not thought any more deeply about scripture than you have.

How do you intend to deal with that fact if you really don't care and can't be bothered to take a stand about what is the right or wrong way to understand what was written?
Haven't you just implied a position entered irrationally cannot be changed rationally?

I am really not interested in changing anyones deliberately chosen irrational beliefs.

I just suspect that they are the least qualified people on the planet to lead, the least qualified to think deeply about any given problem, the least qualified to establish law, dictate national policy, tell the truth, invest in the future, or make peace.

They should be banned from public office and every position of authority because they are demonstrably insane, , banned from owning guns because they are demonstrably insane, and banned from working with children because they are demonstrably insane...

Then they can dance with snakes, celebrate the death of Jesus , eat cookies, drink wine, , and pray for God to smite everyone but themselves for the rest of their lives for ever and ever amen, without the power to persecute the innocent, perpetuate their delusions like a plague, profit from corruption, and destroy the planet in the process.

Last edited:
Which is why no one believes in "that god". Making up such a god and claiming that is the God people of faith worship is simple gibberish. I also assert that it is not God doing a pathetic job, it is the individual doing a pathetic job of studying and understanding thousands of year old scriptures. Today it appears popular (among some who haven't a clue as to scripture's original intent and meaning of Biblical stories) to blame God. What deserves a good a good look is the approach currently being taken by atheists towards God (i.e., claiming scripture means something other than the original authors intended).
The problem here is, the scriptures do not stand up to scrutiny on the bullshit meter when taking a deep-dive. From degreed biblical scholars with a minor in ancient Hebrew writing full dissertations as to the genesis of Biblical propaganda, to any 1st world thinker with an agnostic approach free of dogma, it does not pass the pragmatic smell test at all.

If there was any syllogism in philosophy or falsifiable experiment in science that proved a creator God, these conversations would be many shades different. Until that's the case, it's simple faith and special pleading. Pretty much by definition.

Thats terrific!

Let us show our love for God and celebrate the torture and death of Jesus. Let us solemnly condemn gays, and democrats, build more prisons, go to war with our allies and take over the world in the name of an almighty yet edible triune mangod who really really really loves us.

Then we can eat him.

Yay! Jesus died! We are saved! Lets kill some unbelievers! we're not crazy!

Last edited:
The problem here is, the scriptures do not stand up to scrutiny on the bullshit meter when taking a deep-dive. From degreed biblical scholars with a minor in ancient Hebrew writing full dissertations as to the genesis of Biblical propaganda, to any 1st world thinker with an agnostic approach free of dogma, it does not pass the pragmatic smell test at all.

If there was any syllogism in philosophy or falsifiable experiment in science that proved a creator God, these conversations would be many shades different. Until that's the case, it's simple faith and special pleading. Pretty much by definition.

"Until that's the case, it's ... faith..."

On this we agree.

• Thanks
Reactions: GT

Actually scriptures do stand up--especially when taking that deep dive.

I believe this: I don't tell people what they believe or what a science book "really" says. I let them tell me their beliefs and how they interpret the books they do believe. The same would be appreciated in return. Don't tell people of theology what their books "really" say.

Actually scriptures do stand up--especially when taking that deep dive.

I believe this: I don't tell people what they believe or what a science book "really" says. I let them tell me their beliefs and how they interpret the books they do believe. The same would be appreciated in return. Don't tell people of theology what their books "really" say.
That's fair that you're not open to the cross examining of ideas - no worries.

What is taking place here is not the cross examining of my ideas, but the cross examining of me based on your own ideas of what your wrongly conclude are my beliefs.

What is taking place here is not the cross examining of my ideas, but the cross examining of me based on your own ideas of what your wrongly conclude are my beliefs.
I dont even know who you are and ONLY have been addressing IDEAS, in responding to you.

I didnt intend for you to take this cross examining of ideas personally.

Forum List

Back