Can Atheists be Moral?

Many theists believe it is clear-cut. Humans can only have opinions about morality, and no one’s opinion is any more valid than anyone else’s. This leads them to the conclusion that an objective source of morality must stand apart from, and above, humans. That source, they say, is God. Since atheists, reject God, atheists can have no basis for morality.

This is really two separate arguments: (1) that God is the source of objective morality and humans can learn morality from God and (2) that humans on their own have no way to know what is moral and what is not.

Can atheists be moral? - Atheist Alliance International
Of course they can.

The bigger question is "can religious folks, like child-molesting Catholics, be moral?"

Its not only Catholics who molest children, just as many Protestants do as well.
and haredi jews, Jerusalem - Chief Rabbi Lau: Do Not Sweep Sexual Abuse Claims Under The Carpet

The question to ask, is why are not all Christians moral?
/——/ The perverts aren’t Christians. They are pedophiles Pretending to be Christians so they can gain access to the children. Try and let that sink in.
So they have no idea that what they are doing is wrong because their God told them it was wrong in the scripts they were studying.??

Look at it this way, Moonglow. Just up your street.

Maybe it's 'laws' not 'morals'.

At some time, in the past, it was considered 'normal' to grope tits and asses. Or drag some hapless female into a dark alley and have your way with her. Till some meddling bureaucrat made it illegal.

Still that way today. But you daren't.:nono:

Many theists believe it is clear-cut. Humans can only have opinions about morality, and no one’s opinion is any more valid than anyone else’s. This leads them to the conclusion that an objective source of morality must stand apart from, and above, humans. That source, they say, is God. Since atheists, reject God, atheists can have no basis for morality.

This is really two separate arguments: (1) that God is the source of objective morality and humans can learn morality from God and (2) that humans on their own have no way to know what is moral and what is not.

Of course they can.

The bigger question is "can religious folks, like child-molesting Catholics, be moral?"

Its not only Catholics who molest children, just as many Protestants do as well.
and haredi jews, Jerusalem - Chief Rabbi Lau: Do Not Sweep Sexual Abuse Claims Under The Carpet

I haven't come here to indulge your Jew fetish.

You just can't resist, can you?

No just can't. All religious have pedophiles including jews. Now call me an anti-Semite. I love it.

You're obsessed, that's what.

I'm obsessed with all zealots , like the Haredi sects in NY that are the baby boom capital and welfare capital of the US, the men can't work as they have to study.

Atheists are simply stupid dishonest people

Not recognizing the benefits of a strong immune system that helps greatly which proves unwise

A person that Has to suffer when does not have to

Many times they are hateful revengeful
People

How can this God be moral when the past history of this God has God performing immoral acts and breaking his/her own rules, it's bullshit.

This life systrm is set up perfect

To bring humanity to the best paradise they have to experience pains and struggles and injustice first and then to paradise all prepared to feel paradise in the best way

We cannot enjoy justice as much if we have not had injustice

So that's how life is set up.. Exactly Right!

"1) that God is the source of objective morality and humans can learn morality from God and (2) that humans on their own have no way to know what is moral and what is not."

1. god doesn't exist. the source of morality for people why believe in god does NOT come from a non-existant god. It comes from a book written by uneducated, ignorant, primitive savages.

The fact that these people NEED a book (and a god) to tell them what is right or wrong, moral v immoral, is sad, pathetic and rather scary!

what if that book says "kill gays and atheists and witches!"?

And not just "I'm god....don't steal!"....

that wasn't enough to deter them or make them moral.

They needed FEAR!

So god had to say "I'm god....don't steal....or YOU WILL BURN IN HELL!"

Now THAT got their attention.

(2) that humans on their own have no way to know what is moral and what is not.

ridiculous.

I know right v wrong and I did NOT need a bible to tell me.

In fact, MOST of what the bible says is IMMORAL is BS.

No the bible is a blue print for happiness and is how history works and the history proves gods plan

The good feeling of moral is simply a pre wired feeling put into a created human being to help move humans with the plan

The pains are also pre wired into a created human at creation

God placed these pre wired feelings into humans to move them a certain way to the best paradise

The whole universe set up to help this plan

Humans to become gods of the universe

Of course they can.

I haven't come here to indulge your Jew fetish.

You just can't resist, can you?

No just can't. All religious have pedophiles including jews. Now call me an anti-Semite. I love it.

You're obsessed, that's what.

I'm obsessed with all zealots , like the Haredi sects in NY that are the baby boom capital and welfare capital of the US, the men can't work as they have to study.

Well don't dump it on me.

Find some other dumbass.

Of course they can.

/——/ The perverts aren’t Christians. They are pedophiles Pretending to be Christians so they can gain access to the children. Try and let that sink in.
Yeah... No. I might buy that if the folks in charge were actually trying to do something about it but they ain't. They allow it, even cover for it. It's institutionalized pedophilia. Nothing less.

Of course they can.

/----/ "like child-molesting Catholics, be moral?""
Pedophiles will play any role, take any job and pretend to be the opposite of what they really are so they can have access to their victims - children. Whitewashing Catholics as child-molesters as if it's part of our religion is as intellectually dishonest as labeling all Soccer coaches as child molesters because of a few bad actors.
Thousands upon thousands over decades with not only no repercussions but the next best thing to official sanction is not "a few bad actors" it's institutionalized pedophilia. Brought to you by your "moral superiors".
/----/ Leave it to you to miss the point by a country mile.
I did not miss your point, I pointed out it's flaws.

Wake up.
/—-/ I’ll dumb it down for you. Pedophiles aren’t Christians. They pretend to be to get children.
You're wrong. See my post above.

Atheists are simply stupid dishonest people

Not recognizing the benefits of a strong immune system that helps greatly which proves unwise

A person that Has to suffer when does not have to

People

Conservative christians are simply stupid dishonest people

People

and they smell funny

"1) that God is the source of objective morality and humans can learn morality from God and (2) that humans on their own have no way to know what is moral and what is not."

1. god doesn't exist. the source of morality for people why believe in god does NOT come from a non-existant god. It comes from a book written by uneducated, ignorant, primitive savages.

The fact that these people NEED a book (and a god) to tell them what is right or wrong, moral v immoral, is sad, pathetic and rather scary!

what if that book says "kill gays and atheists and witches!"?

And not just "I'm god....don't steal!"....

that wasn't enough to deter them or make them moral.

They needed FEAR!

So god had to say "I'm god....don't steal....or YOU WILL BURN IN HELL!"

Now THAT got their attention.

(2) that humans on their own have no way to know what is moral and what is not.

ridiculous.

I know right v wrong and I did NOT need a bible to tell me.

In fact, MOST of what the bible says is IMMORAL is BS.

No the bible is a blue print for happiness and is how history works and the history proves gods plan

The good feeling of moral is simply a pre wired feeling put into a created human being to help move humans with the plan

The pains are also pre wired into a created human at creation

God placed these pre wired feelings into humans to move them a certain way to the best paradise

The whole universe set up to help this plan

Humans to become gods of the universe

"No the bible is a blue print for happiness and is how history works and the history proves gods plan"

killing gays makes you happy?

killing atheists makes you happy?

"

Socrates asks Euthyphro “Is what is morally good commanded by God because it is morally good, or is it morally good because it is commanded by God?”

This is known as the Euthyphro dilemma.

If God is merely an agent advocating some universal morality, then morality exists independently of God and, given enough time, humans could discover it through reasoning. In this case, we would not need God—the only role for God would be to help speed up the process of discovery. God would be unnecessary.
If God is merely an agent advocating some universal morality, then morality exists independently of God and, given enough time, humans could discover it through reasoning. In this case, we would not need God—the only role for God would be to help speed up the process of discovery. God would be unnecessary.

God would be unnecessary ...

the discovery for life's purpose, morality, same as faith is reliant not on their existence rather the end result and being a fully invested practitioner, a spirit that has triumphed in their resolve such as prescribed by the spoken Religion of Antiquity - the Triumph of Good vs Evil. as well The Apex of Knowledge - metaphysical axioms.

the necessity ...

the reward would be admission to the Everlasting - a return to the metaphysical from whence they came conditioned by the necessary judgement of the existing Almighty. the final proof.

How can this God be moral when the past history of this God has God performing immoral acts and breaking his/her own rules
A specific example of this would be helpful in sorting out context, but let's walk through some generalities that occur in the Old Testament. First, it is written from the Jewish perspective. This nation were in awe of God's holiness, and were (maybe even painfully) aware of mankind's own shortcomings. We often see a story where it is human misdeeds that prompt an action from God to put things right for humans once more.

Keep in mind, ancient man used story form, and in literature, some action from an opponent forces the hero into action. The hero then protects his people or defends his values against that aggressive opponent. The final chapter describes what steps are taken to fortify and secure the borders against future threats both from within and without.

Taking someone's story and switching their hero into the role of villain, and the aggressors into the role of victims, joins the person currently making these changes with those the original author perceived as the original villains/aggressors. The original author might also suggest writing one's own story instead of plagiarizing his.

Child molesters recognize no boundaries. They can be found in places of faith--and places of no faith; in wealthy places, in poverty; among the most learned, among the ignorant; in our families, outside our families; in our homes, in our neighbor's homes; in our public schools, in our private schools; in places of trust, in places where no trust exists; in our news media that directs reports of such away from themselves or those they decide to protect from allegations.

and they smell funny
That's perspiration from hard work--you know that stuff that pours out of people who work hard to raise the money the government takes to give to people who don't know the aroma of perspiration. ;)

Sure. Why can’t atheists be moral?

Despite what some believe morals are not subjective. Morals are objective.

No one group has a lock on objectivity.

God has not informed me, but I know Donald J. Trump is Immoral to his core. Don't you agree?

God has not informed me, but I know Donald J. Trump is Immoral to his core. Don't you agree?

No.

Forum List

Back