Can anyone tell me what this is?

When I first saw it, it was lying on the tray. I stood it up to get a better picture. And the tray seems to go with the item.

Last edited:
My brother thought it might be some kind of helmet. But I don't think it is large enough for that.

I took this pic in an antique store in Virginia. I was going to inquire, but got into buying a pair of aquamarine earrings and completely forgot.

Various241_zpsbf5c3697.jpg

Just a shot in the dark but I'm thinking Mezoamerican. Could be completely wrong but that's the impression I was left with when I saw it.

It's actually a politician from antiquity. He had his head so far up his ass he didn't notice the volcanic eruption and was sealed in molten lava. A craftsmen later made a mold and encased him in brass to assure future pols would avoid putting their head so far up their ass. Sadly, Congress never got the memo.

OMG! That's funny!

When I first saw it, it was lying on the tray. I stood it up to get a better picture.
It was originally lying down? So perhaps it was some sort of head rest... For Dead People! :lol:

EDIT: Like this Chinese Headrest.

Attachments

• $1.JPG
    $1.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
When I first saw it, it was lying on the tray. I stood it up to get a better picture.
It was originally lying down? So perhaps it was some sort of head rest... For Dead People! :lol:

Oh my!

You could be onto something:

http://www.learner.org/courses/globalart/work/243/index.html

Not exactly the same, though

There are lots of pics of embalmer's head rests. They look far more utilitarian than this. This seems a bit too fancy. But I don't know.

Last edited:
I know, but googles reverse image search doesn't just look for the identical pic, but anything similar.
I tried it and got zip. :(

It was in the antique store almost next door to the Vienna Inn restaurant.

Vienna Inn - serving the locals of Vienna, Virginia since 1960

I don't recall the name of the store. There were a couple side by side.
Does Pear Tree Cottage ring a bell?

Pear Tree Cottage [Home]

If it's not that expensive, I say buy it and bring to the next Antique Road Show that comes in town near you! :D They can't give evaluations over the phone, but this link helps to direct where to ask ahead of time.

Frequently Asked Questions - Antique Road Show

FAQ | Antiques Roadshow | PBS

LOL, or if anything, a great conversation piece!

Last edited:
I tried it and got zip. :(

It was in the antique store almost next door to the Vienna Inn restaurant.

Vienna Inn - serving the locals of Vienna, Virginia since 1960

I don't recall the name of the store. There were a couple side by side.
Does Pear Tree Cottage ring a bell?

Pear Tree Cottage [Home]

Sort of. There were two stores side by side and one had a lot of stuff outside. One was more of a furniture place and the other was more smaller items.

If it's not that expensive, I say buy it and bring to the next Antique Road Show that comes in town near you! :D They can't give evaluations over the phone, but this link helps to direct where to ask ahead of time.

Frequently Asked Questions - Antique Road Show

FAQ | Antiques Roadshow | PBS

LOL, or if anything, a great conversation piece!

I don't recall the price, but it will be a while before I get back to Vienna VA.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back