Can anyone identify this ship quiz? I will give rep to the 1st to get it right

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
Here you go. If no one gets it in a few post I will give hints. Bonus if you can tell me when the picture was taken.

Battleshipforquiz.png

HMS Warspite, shelling German positions on D-day June 6, 1944

You got it p kirkes!

How did you know?

I am really fairly poor at identifying ships by photo. Have browsed some sites where they identify individual destroyers.

You got it p kirkes!

How did you know?

I am really fairly poor at identifying ships by photo. Have browsed some sites where they identify individual destroyers.

Battleships are my passion. Have many reference sites on my computer. The design was recognized as British. Then it was just narrowing it down.

Last edited:
Trick question...I was thinking the Arizona, but I don't think they went to camo paint til after the war started. And, the web looking antennae stacks are gone.....the Missouri?

Perhaps it was a curve throwing in the British ship. Warspite saw plenty of action so it isn't like I picked the Roma or something obscure. Arizona wasn't a bad guess. Correct number of turrets.

You got it p kirkes!

How did you know?

Battleships are my passion. Have many reference sites on my computer. The design was recognized as British. Then it was just narrowing it down.

I have always read or watched military history books and shows. Last year or so this relatively simple War @ Sea game has me paying more attention to the individual boats. There are more great stories and potential movies out there. Before I was always a tank / land war fella.

She was not able to fire turret 3 due to damage she had suffered in the Med. She was hit by three Fritz-X guided bombs during the Salerno landings and there had not been enough time to rectify all the damage she had suffered from them. One of the bombs penetrated six decks and blew a hole through her bottom. After D-Day she struck a mine on the 20th or 21st of June I think and that was pretty much the end of her WWII service.

Forum List

Back