Can anyone help

Wolfsblood

Rookie
Mar 30, 2004
Ohio
I am try to reinstall windows ME on a computer that had it on it before. I tuck the hard drive out before and used it in another computer as a second hard drive and reformatted it. Now i put it back in and I'm tiring to use the disks it came with but its not doing what the manual said it should do. Can anyone help. :blowup:

Wolfsblood said:
I am try to reinstall windows ME on a computer that had it on it before. I tuck the hard drive out before and used it in another computer as a second hard drive and reformatted it. Now i put it back in and I'm tiring to use the disks it came with but its not doing what the manual said it should do. Can anyone help. :blowup:

Trying to use it as a master or a slave? Check jumper settings. Also, try and put it back into the old CP and see if it still works. Try formatting it in the old cpu.

Thanks for the advice-we are going to try it(Wolf is my hubby)!!! He has been working all day on it so we have a computer for the kids.

Ok try this, first go to start, click on shut down, turn the computer off , unhook the keyboard, mouse, moniter and printer. unplug it from the wall, grab the tower from the bottom, pick it up, carry it down the stairs, go out the front door, set it in the yard, now go back in the house and get a hammer and beat the shit out of it, when your finished call dell. :banana:

khafley said:
Ok try this, first go to start, click on shut down, turn the computer off , unhook the keyboard, mouse, moniter and printer. unplug it from the wall, grab the tower from the bottom, pick it up, carry it down the stairs, go out the front door, set it in the yard, now go back in the house and get a hammer and beat the shit out of it, when your finished call dell. :banana:

Not bad, but I think placing it in the middle of the road and listening to cars run over it all day long would be more satisfying. Thu - thump, thu-thump - thu-thump. Needless to say, I hear ya brother! :blowup:

khafley said:

Sounds like some good advice! He has been staying up very late trying to work on that damn thing and I can't hardly get his ass out of bed in the morning!!! Curses!!!!!!

:cry: :whip:

Wolfsblood said:
What exactly are you doing, which the manual says you should do? Also, what exactly is happening when you do it? Might be (like Jackass said) that you have the actual harddisk set to "Slave" but are trying to install it as a "Master".

-Douglas

Do yourself a favor, install XP or LinSphere. Both are far superior to ME.

Hell, I don't even know if Microsoft supports ME anymore.

I've had the same problem..It stems from one file in windows that remains despite
the format.....that must be re-named so that your new windows app. doesn't see it.
I'm sure there is a better way....but it worked for me.

I'm sorry to say that at the moment I can't recall the file name, but....
Go here for a fix....http://www.komando.com ask and they will help. For free.

I've got a problem with IE. Sometimes instead of the graphics showing, I get the strings instead. For example, I went to google, typed USMB and this is what showed up at the top of the page instead of the google graphics:

en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&safe=off&sa=N&tab=wg" onClick="return qs(this);">Groups

Fmr jarhead said:
i SHOULDA KNOWN YOU WERE A kIM FAN!!!!

I love attractive intelligent women...Don't you?

Free...download Netscape, make it your primary browser...IE is just to much of a virus target these days. I think it's faster too.

Mr. P said:
I love attractive intelligent women...Don't you?

Free...download Netscape, make it your primary browser...IE is just to much of a virus target these days. I think it's faster too.

You know, I use NETSCAPE exclusively at home and on my laptop, but for some reason, this computer in my office won't run it. Every time I have downloaded it on this comp, I can't get it to install properly.

I have run virus scanners, spybot, adaware, etc. on it and it just won't work....

:dunno:

freeandfun1 said:
You know, I use NETSCAPE exclusively at home and on my laptop, but for some reason, this computer in my office won't run it. Every time I have downloaded it on this comp, I can't get it to install properly.

I have run virus scanners, spybot, adaware, etc. on it and it just won't work....

:dunno:

Is it a network system?

Mr. P said:
Is it a network system?

Yes, we are on a network, but one of the other computers in the office is using Mozilla. Isn't that also a "netscape" product?

freeandfun1 said:
Yes, we are on a network, but one of the other computers in the office is using Mozilla. Isn't that also a "netscape" product?

Yes, but that doesn't mean you can change something on any puter cuz it's the same product and have it work...Do you have a network admin. person?

One of the puters is set as a HOST...most likely
depending on your set up
that puter is keeping you from installing Netscape...But that's a guess on my part..without knowing all the info. and..I must say
it's just a hobby for me.

I do maintain the computers in my wifes'
office but I always practice the "KISS"
rule..KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!

I've been using Mozilla's Firefox for some time, now. I like the pop up blocker, and the speed, not to mention all the tabs I can keep open at once, and not clutter up my desktop.

freeandfun1 said:
I've got a problem with IE. Sometimes instead of the graphics showing, I get the strings instead. For example, I went to google, typed USMB and this is what showed up at the top of the page instead of the google graphics:
That's interesting...I also get that sometimes, though at times it is the entire webpage and not just a graphic. Here's the thing, though...it only occurs for me in Windows 98. I dual-boot my system with both Windows 98 and Windows XP (since the system is slow, I use 98 for games, and XP for everything else). Since 98 is only being used for games anyway, I don't really care, though, it is admittedly very weird. I am also on a home wireless network. My only diagnosis is that it may have something to do with a glitch in the way IE 6.0 handles the network internet access. Are you on XP or 98/ME?

-Douglas

Fmr jarhead said:
I've been using Mozilla's Firefox for some time, now. I like the pop up blocker, and the speed, not to mention all the tabs I can keep open at once, and not clutter up my desktop.

I've heard that was very
good, easy to use and designed for Jarheads.
:rotflmao:

Mr. P said:
Yes, but that doesn't mean you can change something on any puter cuz it's the same product and have it work...Do you have a network admin. person?

One of the puters is set as a HOST...most likely
depending on your set up
that puter is keeping you from installing Netscape...But that's a guess on my part..without knowing all the info. and..I must say
it's just a hobby for me.

I do maintain the computers in my wifes'
office but I always practice the "KISS"
rule..KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!

We have two main servers and use Novell as our Netware and Groupwise as our email client/host.

I'll figer it out.....

Forum List

Back