CDZ Can America function like this?

Better than continuing the same failed ideas and radicalism over and over IMO
I would rather work on the people than the system. The system is fine. They let it get abused.

Those who choose to follow the bouncing ball on the bottom of the screen ... End up where they are directed to go.

Government was intended to be difficult ... Because it has lasting influence over our direction.
Legislation is not a Band-Aid ... It is a legal precedence for government involvement.
The reason the Constitution required super-majority votes and relies on three branches of government as well as two houses with individual duties in Congress ... Is because it gives opposition the ability to derail legislation that isn't really in the best interest of all the People.

Term Limits mean absolutely nothing ... Congressional staff is not elected and they handle what gets in front of our Representatives.
The staff highlights portions of legislation for the representative to read, conducts the research and presents the results they want, and arranges the schedule.
You can change the person sitting at the head of the table however many times you want ... That doesn't change all the people sitting around the table.

Money is just how those who have it try to use government to gain power or leverage.
We are the people who keep inviting government into our lives and giving people the power to influence our lives with their money.

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
Stop looking towards the government for solutions they are incapable of effectively and efficiently providing.

term limits? Why? So we can replace one jallopy with another?
No term limits arent the problem. The voters are.
11% satisfaction rate 95% re-election rate
It's easier to change systems than humans.
So we will replace one jallopy with another... Doesnt sound like much of a solution.. Sounds like a lazy band-aid..
Do you work in Washington? lol :)
Well, we can get serious and work to change things, or just keep them the way they are.

Personally, I don't see the rapidly-decaying status quo as a smart option.
I would rather work on the people than the system. The system is fine. They let it get abused.
Well, if you're confident you can change human nature, by all means, have a go at it.

I can't even get my wife to turn the bathroom light off when she's done.

:bang3:

This is a pattern ~

It's easier to change systems than humans.
So we will replace one jallopy with another... Doesnt sound like much of a solution.. Sounds like a lazy band-aid..
Do you work in Washington? lol :)
Well, we can get serious and work to change things, or just keep them the way they are.

Personally, I don't see the rapidly-decaying status quo as a smart option.
Well, if you're confident you can change human nature, by all means, have a go at it.

I can't even get my wife to turn the bathroom light off when she's done.

:bang3:
Dont take it that far. lol
If we could destroy the duopoly stranglehold on our country, that would be a MAJOR first step.

If you disagree with the premise, please pipe up, I'd like to hear that too.

It seems to me that national politics have essentially decayed into an ongoing contest of smears, innuendo, accusation, condemnation and conspiracy theories. Not to mention, outright lies. And obviously, if the Democrats gain back control, that certainly is not going to change.

Yes, it has "always been like this". But in the age of the internet, instant news, and fake news, the noise is like nothing ever seen.

So I guess I have two questions:

1. Can the government function properly, can it move the country forward, when so little attention is paid to issues? And when debate of the issues amounts to little more than simplistic bumper sticker sloganeering, wedged in between smears and attacks?

2. Do we not think that many of our Best & Brightest are going to stay away from politics because of this trend?

I think we are screwed

Our government does not function and I see no way of fixing what is broken

Both sides are too entrenched and the media/internet viciously attacks anyone who tries to compromise with the other side

Fake news used to be funny...now too many people believe it and it has become an effective political tool. As has claiming legitimate stories to be fake

It seems to me that national politics have essentially decayed into an ongoing contest of smears, innuendo, accusation, condemnation and conspiracy theories. Not to mention, outright lies. And obviously, if the Democrats gain back control, that certainly is not going to change.

Yes, it has "always been like this". But in the age of the internet, instant news, and fake news, the noise is like nothing ever seen.

1. Can the government function properly, can it move the country forward, when so little attention is paid to issues? And when debate of the issues amounts to little more than simplistic bumper sticker sloganeering, wedged in between smears and attacks?

2. Do we not think that many of our Best & Brightest are going to stay away from politics because of this trend?
What do you propose, Mac, to get us on a better track? Continually harping on how bad our system is doesn't actually fix it, does it?
I'd love to see Super PACS outlawed. I'd love to see all campaigners allotted a specific amount of money and they can't spend more than that. It will never happen, though, because the exact same people who depend on all that money are the ones who would have to vote in those rules, aren't they?
In terms of process, I make the same proposal to change DC regularly, my apologies that you have clearly not seen it:

1. Short Term Limits
2. Publicly-funded elections
3. Balanced Budget Amendment

Unfortunately, that does not address the behaviors I listed. I don't have answers for that. I'll try not to continually harp on them in the future.
In some ways, Mac, I think it might help to limit funding for campaigns in that the "party" would not be so all important to politicians. Therefore, they wouldn't feel compelled to be vacuous mouthpieces for every "talking point" that came down the pike. However, you're right that the major problems you raised in your OP wouldn't be fixed solely with campaign finance reform.

A balanced budget amendment would be awesome. States have to live with it; I see no reason why the feds shouldn't.

The down side to short term limits is that being a legislator is actually a job with a steep learning curve and a lot of legislators have gained a lot of valuable expertise over their time there. I'm very happy with our senators from Maine and I wouldn't want them limited in their ability to return. They're smart and they're reasonable and I'm pretty sure they aren't the only ones.
I do agree, though, that legislators who don't vote as we wish should not be re-elected, and that is the responsibility of the people. Our local paper publishes the voting records of our federal and state legislators every month. Maybe it should be on the tv news, too. People need to know, and unless you are a total politics wonk, they aren't going to look it up--most wouldn't know where to begin.
Holding the legislators accountable for their voting record and the bills they introduce or filibuster is a responsibility of the people, assisted by the media.

Absolutely not if you mean that the Government can to the work of the people. What we once thought was a Government full of people that looked at their positions as vocations is now full, for the most part, those that never grew up. Mature children is how I've heard them best described.

I've been saying for years that, unless you've led a completely boring life, you would be a fool to run for public office, Local, State or Federal. I would not classify someone who led that kind of life as a leader, nor the best and the brightest.

It's a strange combination of apathy and outrage. In NYC the mayor was hated by several groups in the City, yet he handily was re-elected in a vote with terrible turnout.

Yet all we hear is how many people are ranting about X, Y, Z while the others are ranting about the opposite X, opposite, Y, and opposite Z.

I have always said more faithful adherence to federalism would help, but now I'm not sure even that is going to happen.

Absolutely not if you mean that the Government can to the work of the people. What we once thought was a Government full of people that looked at their positions as vocations is now full, for the most part, those that never grew up. Mature children is how I've heard them best described.

I've been saying for years that, unless you've led a completely boring life, you would be a fool to run for public office, Local, State or Federal. I would not classify someone who led that kind of life as a leader, nor the best and the brightest.
I assume we could keep stumbling along like this, moving from one attack to the other, one smear to the other, stopping occasionally and briefly to push something through.

Just seems to me we could be better than that, and we're choosing not to be.

I think we are screwed

Both sides are too entrenched and the media/internet viciously attacks anyone who tries to compromise with the other side

Fake news used to be funny...now too many people believe it and it has become an effective political tool. As has claiming legitimate stories to be fake
This frightens me more than any amount of partisanship. IMO, it is the one thing that could destroy us.

Politics has always sucked. You might check quotes from Mark Twain. That said because the DNCMSM so hates Trump, they are making it even worse.

No one really successful and smart goes into politics. Only criminals go into politics.

It was said long ago, the worst among us go into politics.

I couldn’t agree more. Politics is like American soccer. The best male athletes in our country play football, basketball, baseball, or even hockey. We are among the best in the world in those sports, but we suck at soccer because our best athletes don’t play soccer. Just like politics, our best minds, our best people are not in politics.

What do you propose, Mac, to get us on a better track? Continually harping on how bad our system is doesn't actually fix it, does it?
I'd love to see Super PACS outlawed. I'd love to see all campaigners allotted a specific amount of money and they can't spend more than that. It will never happen, though, because the exact same people who depend on all that money are the ones who would have to vote in those rules, aren't they?
It cant just happen with one person.
Im with you on the spending. I would prefer all federal campaigns be paid for by the tax payers with a small set amount. No need to spend a million dollars on nothing more than saying your opponent wants to run over children with their vehicles.

Not Constitutional at this time. I do not like typing the words, but a part of your liberty is deciding where you will spend available resources. (Northam/Gillespie helped me see the division, as have wild stories about GHWB, on---------.)

I assume we could keep stumbling along like this, moving from one attack to the other, one smear to the other, stopping occasionally and briefly to push something through.

I don't see that as reality, stumbling along equates to disaster around the corner. It's like the drunk leaving the bar. Luck gets him home safely, but without it he either kills in a drunk driving accident or stumbles down a flight of stairs and kills himself.

That's the reality of the times we live in. It stops or, GOD HELP US ALL.

I don't see that as reality, stumbling along equates to disaster around the corner. It's like the drunk leaving the bar. Luck gets him home safely, but without it he either kills in a drunk driving accident or stumbles down a flight of stairs and kills himself.

That's the reality of the times we live in. It stops or, GOD HELP US ALL.
That's how I see it too, but there are many who are clearly perfectly comfortable with the way things are.

One of us is wrong.

I think we are screwed

This frightens me more than any amount of partisanship. IMO, it is the one thing that could destroy us.

Americans used to be skeptical by nature. Now, we are so inundated with bogus stories that we no longer know what is real. These fake stories kick around for a few days and we move on to the next fake story

But they enter our collective consciousness and serve their purpose

I think we are screwed

Show me 1 person that gets consistently duped by fake news, and I'll show you 5 that say "I can't believe people fall for fake news all of the time."

It's no more harmful than old wives' tales..or worse, the time when information barely traveled AT ALL. Sometimes, people believe stupid shit. They always will, as a conglomerate - - but on an individual basis, each person is on their own journey.

As long as speech remains free, the way to mitigate phony speech is to promote factual speech. That potential being there, at all, is why we are totally fine - and will be.

In terms of process, I make the same proposal to change DC regularly, my apologies that you have clearly not seen it:

1. Short Term Limits
2. Publicly-funded elections
3. Balanced Budget Amendment

Unfortunately, that does not address the behaviors I listed. I don't have answers for that. I'll try not to continually harp on them in the future.
Agree--except what are our choices?

Life on a micro scale: "err mee geerd, the neighbor's fucking kid keeps blasting that satanic music and I KNOW he's the one stealing all of my good tomatoes!"

Life on a macro scale: "err me geerd, those people who I don't even know and will never even meet don't see political issues the way that I do.... therefore, 50% of the Country is corrupt satanic gullible idiotic moronic degenerate trash! We're all gunna die, wahh!!"

It cant just happen with one person.
Im with you on the spending. I would prefer all federal campaigns be paid for by the tax payers with a small set amount. No need to spend a million dollars on nothing more than saying your opponent wants to run over children with their vehicles.

Not Constitutional at this time. I do not like typing the words, but a part of your liberty is deciding where you will spend available resources. (Northam/Gillespie helped me see the division, as have wild stories about GHWB, on---------.)
Sure it is. All we need is an amendment.
Thats all we ever need despite 75% of the fed govt being unconstitutional.

Forum List

Back