CDZ Can America function like this?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Mac1958, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,650
    Okay - I don't see it, but since I have no choice as to where this is going, I hope you're right.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Darkwind

Darkwind Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,953
    So you just now demonstrated one of those qualities that America has lost. We used to be a patient people by comparison to today's standard. You want to know how to fix it fast instead of wanting to fix it to last. Short term, short-sighted, solutions that invite corruption without consequences for the outcome.

3. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,650
    I don't think that changes to a system based specifically on human nature is just a fast fix. It's a wise and observant thing to do.

Thinking that we're going to change human nature is folly. We can work around the edges, but when a game is clearly flawed, we fix the game.

4. gipper

gipper Libertarian/Anarchist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,977
    I don't. Governments that allow this to occur are the problem. It is not the rich I blame, as they always do what they do.

Why do we need government, if it's primary purpose is to protect and enrich the extreme wealthy?

5. BlackSand

BlackSand Nobody Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,135
    Take for instance Immediate Gratification ...
    You feel hungry, drive up to a box, manage almost incomprehensible communication ... Whalla, bag of food.
    You have a question, manage to ask it correctly using a search engine ... Whalla, a selection of answers*.

* If you don't necessarily get the answer you want ... You can rephrase the question until you at least get an answer that might support your warped opinion.
    If you follow the suggestions that pop up while you are typing ... There is a chance you may not realize someone is leading you to an answer (more importantly ... their answer).

How that translates into politics and debate ...
    First and foremost ... It has given the people a false sense of importance.
    It is not the government's business to be concerned with your personal desires nor requirements.
    They are there to serve you ... But it isn't a carte blanche menu.

With modern technology ... Communication is a lot faster.
    This leads to the misconception that personal needs/desires can be satisfactorily addressed in a more rapid manner as far as legislation is concerned.
    People can voice their opinions much quicker ... And debate can be held in a instant.

Hasty debate has hindered our ability to arrive at worthy debate.
    A person now can start at either the surface or their core principles ... And easily find corresponding evidence to support their desired direction.
    Alter the questions you ask ... Tailor the responses you get ... Whalla, an answer that suits your purpose/desire*.

*What you really end up with is an overwhelming, ever expanding pool of minutia ... Predetermined results to answer a faulty hypothesis.
    A plethora of easily accessible data ... Used to support poorly constructed debate ... Provides us with a house of cards in personal validation to satisfy immediate gratification.

Go ahead ... Ask me for a link to that!

How that makes a difference in government, our political environment and accountability ...
    First off ... People have become way too dependent on government as a desired response to their immediate problems.
    It is always easier to relinquish your personal responsibility to a greater power in hopes of accomplishing something*.

*That doesn't necessarily mean that what you want to accomplish is any of the government's business nor responsibility.
    Burdening the government and the idiots in charge ... With a task they are incapable of effectively and efficiently accomplishing ... Is a stupid idea as well as a less than sustainable solution.

Then the desire to have our needs immediately addressed ... Skips the step where we should look at what we can do versus what we require the government for.
    That leads to dissatisfaction for one group or another ... But not towards the desire to compromise on anything*.

*Compromise has sufficiently been transformed into surrender.
    One side of the argument has replaced leverage with demand ... And compromise can only be accomplished if their demands are met.

Accountability is completely gone ... It is so polluted by the minutia ... Failure is expected as part of success.
    Failure is inconsequential ... Because we can always jump to the next best thing government can do*.

*In times past ... The public was not so easily distracted by an abundance of garbage thrown in their face.
    If their Representatives had been goofing around ... They were less likely to be appeased by the candy thrown from the train upon the politician's return home.

Aw, crap ... I could ramble on about this mess for hours ... Thinking about some Hot Wings from Kentucky Fried instead.
    Good Luck ... :thup:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. gipper

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,977
    Does this make sense to you?
    [​IMG]

A concise answer works best.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,256
    And Gilens and Page's opinion/survey results have what to do with my posted comments to which you've shared them as a reply? Please be specific with regard to which of my points they either amplify or refute.

8. Tehon

Tehon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,210
    But you do, and you know it. It's why you deflect to government responsibility. But you're wrong on that count. Government's primary responsibility is to protect liberty not to protect the wealthy. It's wealth that subverts the purpose.

9. BlackSand

BlackSand Nobody Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,135
    Anyone who looks towards the government to suit their personal interests/gain is looking for something that is not the government's responsibility.
    It doesn't matter if you are rich or poor ... The government's responsibility is the same to the rich as it is to the poor.

We are all ... The People!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  10. gipper

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,977
    Exactly. We agree. Why do you wish to argue?

Government's job should be to protect liberty of all the people. Today our government's job is protecting and enriching the wealthy.