Can a orthodox or catholic be a born again Christian?

All religions effectively teach the same values. Virtue.

All religions teach dying to self.

You do realize that Jesus is a Jew, right?

Christians are effectively a sect of Judaism.
You effectively have no idea what you are talking about.
How so?

How is this any different than Buddhism and Hinduism?

Buddhism is effectively a sect of Hinduism.
Those people are going to hell.
Buddhism is not a sect of Hinduism.

Buddhists are atheists...Hindus are Henotheistic.

Buddha was born a Hindu. However, Hinduism and Buddhism, as Christianity and Judaism DRASTICALLY diverge on many core concepts.
He was a reformer of Hinduism as Jesus was a reformer of Judaism.
No...he was not a reformer of Hinduism. He was a single man on his search to end his suffering. He wanted to end the cycle of samsara. He was interested in any capacity in 'reforming' Hinduism.
Buddhism is simply his way, his truths as he found them. Buddha was a teacher, and a truth seeker.
Did he ever teach there was no God?

Not all Buddhist are atheists. I don’t even believe it is close.
True...but Buddhism does not require a God...Hinduism does.
However, you will find most Buddhists would not find a reason to worship a God. A God simply does not play into the schemata.

You effectively have no idea what you are talking about.
How so?

How is this any different than Buddhism and Hinduism?

Buddhism is effectively a sect of Hinduism.
Those people are going to hell.
Buddhism is not a sect of Hinduism.

Buddhists are atheists...Hindus are Henotheistic.

Buddha was born a Hindu. However, Hinduism and Buddhism, as Christianity and Judaism DRASTICALLY diverge on many core concepts.
He was a reformer of Hinduism as Jesus was a reformer of Judaism.
No...he was not a reformer of Hinduism. He was a single man on his search to end his suffering. He wanted to end the cycle of samsara. He was interested in any capacity in 'reforming' Hinduism.
Buddhism is simply his way, his truths as he found them. Buddha was a teacher, and a truth seeker.
Did he ever teach there was no God?
Buddha taught the four noble truths. He taught the eight noble precepts. He also taught that his system worked for him. However, if his system does not work for you and you do not find truths in it...then reject it.
He also taught that no man should have faith or believe in anything that was told to him. He should seek his own truths and seek his own way.
It's all in the dhammapada.

I think they can if they have a personal relationship with christ and are born out of water and spirit. I have friends who are in free church and they told me a Catholic can be a christian if he has a personal relationship with christ. But not all catholics are christians. And we talked about the Pope and my friend said he is not sure if he is a christian I mean the Pope but that a Catholic can be christian.

I think they can if they have a personal relationship with christ and are born out of water and spirit. I have friends who are in free church and they told me a Catholic can be a christian if he has a personal relationship with christ. But not all catholics are christians. And we talked about the Pope and my friend said he is not sure if he is a christian I mean the Pope but that a Catholic can be christian.
You're not "born again" until the Resurrection of the Dead. That hasnt happened yet. This is a Protestant lie

Most Christians who become "born again" do it with the idea of being forgiven for their sins so that they can wipe out all the damage that they were responsible for. Then they do the same things all over again. Trump is a perfect example of this since he hasn't changed one iota.

Does anyone know the difference between a Catholic and a Baptist?
Catholics pray to intercessors...not always the lord. This is blasphemy.
Ridiculous! Catholics ask those that were what you call saved, to pray for them.... they are not asking the saints to save them or treating them like they are gods....

It is like all the prayers Republicans send out for those mothers and fathers who lost their child in a school shooting.... they "send their prayers", through asking Christians to pray for them.... are you saying THAT is BLASPHEMY?

Or do you believe the saints are DEAD after death and can't pray for anyone... like your fellow Christians would send out prayers for you?

It sounds like your heart is in the right place, but praying to saints (asking dead saints to pray for you) is completely unbiblical. Several years ago I wrote a blog post on this topic, I’ll look for it and post it a little later.

Actually, here it is: Praying to Saints - Truth or Tradition?

Yes... Anyone can...

I am not one though...

In Tao I believe...

... It sounds like your heart is in the right place, but praying to saints (asking dead saints to pray for you) is completely unbiblical. ...

What do you pray when you will die? If you are not able to pray any longer - who will pray for you? What do you think did mother Mary do, when her son Jesus had to die on the cross?

Why do Christians argue with each other so much? I guess this gives them something to do. Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholics, and Evangelicals are all Christian, so what's the fuss? I've just been wondering for years what happened to the teachings of Jesus, which seem to have disappeared despite the fact that his name gets bandied about a lot.

In my experience IRL it isn't like that at all. Even when I was involved with an inter-denominational international missions organization, there was almost no arguing, in fact usually the atmosphere was joyful and cooperative. The arguing is usually between Catholics and Christians, and that is because when people are believing unbiblical doctrines, it is imperative to address that. It's important because in some cases it involves the fate of one's soul, and that is not something to be casually brushed aside.

Catholics ARE Christians. So are Eastern Orthodox. There's your problem. What is your denomination?

I knew you were going to say that. That wasn’t my claim, I just quickly phrased it that way in order to differentiate Catholics from non-Catholics. That said, Catholic or non-Catholic, regardless of what denomination one belongs to, one still has to be saved, or else you’re just going through the motions, and that is not much different than a non-Christian. And my earlier point was that Jesus made it super clear, you must be born again. That is what salvation is!

Why do Christians argue with each other so much? I guess this gives them something to do. Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholics, and Evangelicals are all Christian, so what's the fuss? I've just been wondering for years what happened to the teachings of Jesus, which seem to have disappeared despite the fact that his name gets bandied about a lot.

In my experience IRL it isn't like that at all. Even when I was involved with an inter-denominational international missions organization, there was almost no arguing, in fact usually the atmosphere was joyful and cooperative. The arguing is usually between Catholics and Christians, and that is because when people are believing unbiblical doctrines, it is imperative to address that. It's important because in some cases it involves the fate of one's soul, and that is not something to be casually brushed aside.

Catholics ARE Christians. So are Eastern Orthodox. There's your problem. What is your denomination?

I knew you were going to say that. That wasn’t my claim, I just quickly phrased it that way in order to differentiate Catholics from non-Catholics. That said, Catholic or non-Catholic, regardless of what denomination one belongs to, one still has to be saved, or else you’re just going through the motions, and that is not much different than a non-Christian. And my earlier point was that Jesus made it super clear, you must be born again. That is what salvation is!

This "saved" thing is part of your denomination, your specific theology in whatever Christian group you belong to. From what I've seen of the "saved" in the last few years, the entire thing is bogus since the "born agains" neither uphold the teachings of Jesus or seek to carry them out. It's some evangelical stuff led by frankie graham or focus on the family or somebody. It's your sect. Nobody else has to join it. It's not up to you to define the Christian faith.

I think that the country and the world might benefit from public readings of the Sermon on the Mount.

The Catholic conception of redemption, being "saved," and forgiveness of sins is DIFFERENT from that of the "Born-Again's."

Catholics are "Confirmed," not "saved." For Catholics, every day is a new day, and salvation is not established until the moment of death. The idea of being "saved" in mid-life is bizarre and ignores human frailties. Our sins are forgiven after confession, under power granted directly by Christ to his Apostles, and to today's priests tracing a direct line back to Peter.

We have a "personal relationship with Jesus" that a "Born Again" cannot even imagine. We re-enact the Last Supper ("Do this in remembrance of me!") every day, with the same experience as those Disciples who ate at that table. We commune with the living representatives of Christ on earth, who are Priests not Ministers. There is a huge difference.

I don't see how a Catholic can be a "Born-Again Christian." There isn't a Born Again in the world who accepts the Pope as the true successor of Peter, with the power to - under very limited and rare circumstances - speak for the Holy Spirit infallibly on matters of faith and morals.

It's almost like asking whether a Jew can be a Christian. It's difficult to imagine.
Sounds like a bunch of Jew speak to me.

Indeed, and that fact annoys so many people it needs to be repeated as often as possible.lol

This "saved" thing is part of your denomination, your specific theology in whatever Christian group you belong to. From what I've seen of the "saved" in the last few years, the entire thing is bogus since the "born agains" neither uphold the teachings of Jesus or seek to carry them out. It's some evangelical stuff led by frankie graham or focus on the family or somebody. It's your sect. Nobody else has to join it. It's not up to you to define the Christian faith.

I think that the country and the world might benefit from public readings of the Sermon on the Mount.

I'm sorry, but that is blatantly incorrect and demonstrably untrue. It has nothing to do with my "denomination"...The core teachings of Christianity, regardless of denomination, include salvation. You'd have to throw out most of the bible to claim salvation is not necessary.

As for the second thing you said, about the Sermon on the Mount, I completely agree.

The Catholic conception of redemption, being "saved," and forgiveness of sins is DIFFERENT from that of the "Born-Again's."

Catholics are "Confirmed," not "saved." For Catholics, every day is a new day, and salvation is not established until the moment of death. The idea of being "saved" in mid-life is bizarre and ignores human frailties. Our sins are forgiven after confession, under power granted directly by Christ to his Apostles, and to today's priests tracing a direct line back to Peter.

We have a "personal relationship with Jesus" that a "Born Again" cannot even imagine. We re-enact the Last Supper ("Do this in remembrance of me!") every day, with the same experience as those Disciples who ate at that table. We commune with the living representatives of Christ on earth, who are Priests not Ministers. There is a huge difference.

I don't see how a Catholic can be a "Born-Again Christian." There isn't a Born Again in the world who accepts the Pope as the true successor of Peter, with the power to - under very limited and rare circumstances - speak for the Holy Spirit infallibly on matters of faith and morals.

It's almost like asking whether a Jew can be a Christian. It's difficult to imagine.
Sounds like a bunch of Jew speak to me.

Indeed, and that fact annoys so many people it needs to be repeated as often as possible.lol

Whatever this squabble is among Christians, it isn't right to drag Jews into it. Judaism is a separate religion. Christians may declare themselves a sect of Judaism, but this doesn't make it so. Christians may squabble among ourselves as we wish. Muslims may declare that Islam is the fulfillment of Christianity.

And the Hail Mary, is simply recanting a Bible verse.... is it wrong to recant a Bible verse?

The prayer comes from Elizabeth's meeting with Mary, her cousin, while both Mary and Elizabeth were both pregnant.... Elizabeth farther along in pregnancy than Mary...

She greets Mary.... who is full of grace, and the Lord is with, and tells her cousin she is blessed among women, and the fruit of her womb is also..... etc.

No, of course it's not wrong to recant a bible verse. But the problem is, it is often recited robotically, over and over, in a mindless way...so at that point it is not really a prayer but just a religious thing.

And if it's just a religious chant, that goes directly against what Jesus said:

"And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words."

Matthew 6:7

I'm sorry, but that is blatantly incorrect and demonstrably untrue. It has nothing to do with my "denomination"...The core teachings of Christianity, regardless of denomination, include salvation. You'd have to throw out most of the bible to claim salvation is not necessary.

As for the second thing you said, about the Sermon on the Mount, I completely agree.

But you insist on referencing "salvation" in terms of your own denomination. Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, Episcopalians, Methodists, etc. do it in all kinds of ways. I think that what you are really saying is that everyone must follow the leaders of your denomination, which apparently is a denomination that believes in biblical inerrancy and infallibility. You have no idea of what occurs in the minds of people of other denominations.

But you insist on referencing "salvation" in terms of your own denomination. Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, Episcopalians, Methodists, etc. do it in all kinds of ways. I think that what you are really saying is that everyone must follow the leaders of your denomination, which apparently is a denomination that believes in biblical inerrancy and infallibility. You have no idea of what occurs in the minds of people of other denominations.

No, I'm not saying people should follow my denomination (I don't even have a denomination) but what I am saying is that all churches or denominations should teach what is biblical and what is in line with the actual truth, the true intent of God. Otherwise, what is the point?

THAT is what is important, and unfortunately most churches today don't do that. And when I say that, I'm not only talking about salvation and the Catholic church, I'm talking about other issues too.

Forum List

Back