Can a devout Muslim be an American patriot and a loyal citizen?

1. Why Jesus, of course, which is who George Washington was referring to:

2. If your statement is true, then who are they referring to in the phrase “the Blessings of Liberty”? Who gave his blessing, if not God?
3. Look, I’ve always been taught that the trait of being “unassuming” is a good one, and one that Liberals like yourself claim to have. So why would you assume that I want to overthrow [sic] the Constitution, a document that I obviously revere, or worse yet, subscribe to some bastardization of religion (Taliban)?

God's not the only one who can give his "blessings." I'll prove it. I give you my blessings. See? I think the founders were refering to "blessings" in the general sense of the word. If you're looking for religion from the founders, look at the Declaration of Independence. You won't find it in the Constitution. Last I checked, we don't derive law from the DoI.

God's not the only one who can give his "blessings." I'll prove it. I give you my blessings. See? I think the founders were refering to "blessings" in the general sense of the word. If you're looking for religion from the founders, look at the Declaration of Independence. You won't find it in the Constitution. Last I checked, we don't derive law from the DoI.

1. Thank you for your blessings, but the Constitution cites His Blessings. Note the capitalization of both His and Blessings.
2. Yes, we derive law from the Constitution, but the Constitution was derived from the DOI.

Devout really has nothing to do with it. The aspects of Islam that disallow any loyalty or identification with anything other than Islam are basic to the religion. It's what Islam was invented for. The degree of "devotion", or adherence, to Islamic idealogy doesn't matter. The basics, the very minimum things one needs to believe to call oneself a Muslim, are more than enough.

The problem Christians have when they think about Islam is that too many of them have no idea what Islam really is. They can only see Islam as a religion, so they view it as they view their own. They see many so-called "non-practicing" Christians and they assume that there are "non-practicing" Muslims, too. Liberals, especially, have a hard time understanding that Islam is not at all like Christianity, so the analogy of the "right-wing Christian fundamentalist" and the "extremist Muslim terrorist" are the same thing to them. The only difference in attitude Liberals have for both is that they seem to have more respect and affection for the terrorists than they do the right wing Christian fundamentalists.

Islam is a philosopy, a political idealogy, and a way of life that allows a Muslim man to do whatever he wants, to whoever he wants, whenever he wants, as long as he can say it is in defense of Islam. A Muslims first loyalty is not to Allah. A Muslims first loyalty is to Islam. Islam is the way to Allah, and you can't get there from here without Islam.

It takes very, very, little to be a devout Muslim. There is not a single rule that has to be followed if a Muslim doesn't want to. Even 4 of the 5 Pillars of Islam have exceptions. The only one that doesn't is the Pillar that makes a Muslim a Muslim. "There is only one God and Muhammad was his Messenger." That's it. Say that and you're a Muslim.

A Muslims loyalty will always be to Islam. And since Islam tells a Muslim how to live every aspect of his life, and allows no alternative that does not have Islam as center, and base of everything else, there is no way a Muslim can choose anything else first. To do so is to not be a Muslim.

It's too bad that being an American doesn't require any degree of loyalty.

Who says so?

The only people who have contempt for loyal Americans are liberals. At least that's my impression from 7 years of posting on message boards.

But are message boards really a good mirror of society in general?

I think they are. The only caveat I would add is that people who spend a lot of time on message boards and the internet don't leave the house much.

Wouldn't Howard Dean be president now if they did manage to get off their asses and actually go vote?

Who says so?

The only people who have contempt for loyal Americans are liberals. At least that's my impression from 7 years of posting on message boards.

But are message boards really a good mirror of society in general?

I think they are. The only caveat I would add is that people who spend a lot of time on message boards and the internet don't leave the house much.

Wouldn't Howard Dean be president now if they did manage to get off their asses and actually go vote?

Are you saying that being an American requires a level of loyalty ? I guess maybe the problem lies in one's definition of "American".

Are you saying that being an American requires a level of loyalty ? I guess maybe the problem lies in one's definition of "American".

It doesn't require it. But why wouldn't any American have a sense of loyalty?

This is the greatest country on Earth.

And, yes, by "American" I mean the United States of America. The only people who quibble about Americans who call ourselves Americans are people who resent America.

As in the United States of.....

And, yes, by "American" I mean the United States of America. The only people who quibble about Americans who call ourselves Americans are people who resent America.

Let me give you an example to help this along a bit. We have "Americans" who would love to see America totally fail in Iraq. There are millions of "Americans" who think America is an evil empire that maliciously meddles in the sovereign affairs of the rest of the world. Does being an American simply mean that you live here?

Let me give you an example to help this along a bit. We have "Americans" who would love to see America totally fail in Iraq. There are millions of "Americans" who think America is an evil empire that maliciously meddles in the sovereign affairs of the rest of the world. Does being an American simply mean that you live here?

It should.

I don't know if there are "millions" of Americans who think America is an evil empire. But those that do all seem to have internet access, don't they?

So what's yer point dearie? All your response shows is your own intellectual bankruptcy and inability to articualte a rational response. Tch...Tch...Tch...

ahhh, as usual. Leftie liberals making FALSE assumptions and jumping on them and prematurely declaring victory (they will take it any way they can get it)
What it showed was my wife was having some well deserved sleep while I was taking care of our baby, leaving me one hand to use.

Now, as for your original assertation, it is mans laws that are subject to change and the whims of those groups of people who instill those laws. Gods laws never change,
As usual, you libs have it ass backwards.

How the heck did George Orwell see so plainly how you guys would turn out when he wrote 1984?

I suppose an ultimate allegiance may supercede one's nation if one's religious doctrine says that their belief in their creator or higher power or god is the final, "say" in all things.

Having said that, one can still be patriotic, and not violate one's religion if the specific doctrine of the religion tells them to respect their fellow man, to obey the laws of their nation(as long as those laws do not violate their god's laws).

Apostle Paul always addressed the Roman leaders of his time with respectful title, and humility. He also emphasized in one or more of his epistles(books) that we/Christians should subject ourselves to the governing authorities as they have received their authority ultimately through God's permission. Therefore whatever God has allowed, is to be respected,......but.....if this ruling authority abuses it's God given authority, (because of the free-will of man to still do as he wants irrespective of his creator..i.e. Hitler, Stalin,), it nullifies or frees the Christian to disobey or give obedience to their God over prevailing earthly or national authority.
Sorry about the long sentence.
Also Jesus was put to "task" by the Pharisees over the paying of taxes to the Romans, or probably any ruling, governing power over the Jews at that time.

It was a "trick" question in order to prove to all that Jesus was a hypocrite. Jesus, merely picked up or held a Roman coin and asked all there, "Whose face is on this coin?". The reply, was, "Caesar's". Then Jesus said, "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and render unto God what is God's". The man was brilliant!! Why wouldn't God be brilliant?

Paying taxes aren't immoral in a sense yet possibly if they became so extreme that they literally endangerd the existence, of nation as a whole, there maybe something to be said in the area of morality.
Now, there is such a thing as civil disobedience. I grew up during the time of much unrest back in the 50's and 60's when many folks traveled to the Southern states to protest against segregation. At the time these states had ordinances/laws that truly divided one race from another. It gave partiality to white over black Americans. Now, those Freedom Riders, and bible Christians that went down there and were beat-up and maligned and even murdered were following a higher law, that superceded the laws of Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, and many other states at that time.
Did Jesus come to free slaves from the bondage of the Romans and Jews........No, His ministry covered a spiritual realm of human life that superceded the physical conditions of individuals. He offered a freedom that allowed freemen and slaves to both be free in totality, not in physicality necessarily.
He didn't come to lead rebellion against a government, but actually a rebellion/war against a spiritual condition of man that had led to physical human bondage as it's outcome.
Jesus humbly walked to His crucifixion. If anyone had a right in human history to rebel, or say, "hell No, I won't go!", it was Jesus. He didn't. He submitted to the governing authorities, and was executed by that authority.

He did not mock Pilate, the governor, or spit back at the soldiers that ridiculed, and spit in his face. He didn't plead his innocence either.
I think that this reveals a major chasm between Islam and Christianity. Islam actually promotes a violent type of disobedience in obedience of a higher calling when their doctrine conflicts with prevailing authority. It is more of a Barrabus-type of response to injustice or religious conflict with governing authority.

Jesus had one possible time of release when He and Barrabus were offered before the Jews for clemency from death. They chose Barrabus, the patriot. The man of violence, the one who fought the governing authority with a sword and spear. They rejected the other rebel, that said, "blood just begets more blood. One who lives by the sword will die by the sword". Jesus was calling Jews to look to something greater than the nation or the Roman occupiers. He was trying to raise their spiritual eyes to the ultimate authority, and by doing this all the conflict on the human level would become moot to all submitting parties.

Barrabus's followers were patriots. They were Jewish patriots. They wanted the filthy occupying Romans out of their God given land. They saw only the sword as the answer.

Jesus's Apostles defeated the prevailing Roman occupiers by truth, and love. Roman sensiblities were brought to confusion by the humility of Christians as they walked to death in the colliseum in Rome. This love that the Christians had for the very one's that maligned, and hurt them was totally opposite of the Roman way of strength through force, weapons, discipline and great numbers.

Well, we know what happened to the patriotic jews. Their nation was steam-rolled over by the Romans in roughly 70 A.D.. The conquerers had enough of this upstart, prideful, little nation of monotheists.
Christians have been in the service of many nations for thousands of years, in many capacities. Some as soldiers, some as diplomats, actual leaders/presidents/premiers.

Some have risked their reputations and livelihoods to address "wrongs" and "injustices", knowing, and trusting by faith that their ultimate national citizenship would be after death, in their God's kingdom. This gave them courage to face death, rather than bow a knee to dictates or laws that went against their Creator's authorship.
Again, can this be said of Islam, if we remove the radical elements from their religion? I don't believe that the Koran encourages respect for people of other beliefs other than their own belief system, and it encourages no respect for governing authorities as long as those authorities are infidels.

Paul was respectful to Roman and Jewish authority as long as it didn't violate his God's laws. He/Paul did not differentiate between converted and unconverted when it came to respect of his fellow human beings. Can that be said of Muslims? Are they taught to live with respect for those that have a differing religious or no religious belief?

It appears to me, that radical Islam is not a sect that's out of balance with Islam, but actually a reflection or revealing of those who embrace Islam and actually live very closely by it's tenents. That means that the bulk or majority of Muslims that don't participate in terrorist acts or other violent acts as exemplified by 9/11 are actually not doctrinally living as Mohammed their prophet has taught them in the Koran.
As for Christians, more specifically,.....the ones that bomb abortion clinics, or protest at G.I. funerals, or scream for clemency for serial killers; they are actually living out a non-biblical/non-doctrinal cultic/sect type of Christianity that would bring much scorn from Paul, Peter, John, Timothy, titus, Luke, etc. of the New Testament.
It was Christians that promoted and maintained the underground railway that stealthily moved slaves to Canada back in the 1700's from the U.S.. They broke U.S. law. It was Christians that walked hand-in-hand with black Americans in the South when danger of life and limb wasn't far away. It was young and old biblical Christians that took the beatings of sherrif's batons in Mobile, along with their fellow, black Americans.
One attribute of God that you will not find in Islam. Try and find, "love". Islam can match eye for eye every Old testament and New testament attribute of God, but one.......and that is "love". Interestingly, love is the capstone of all of the N.T. letters/epistles. Paul says that love trumps every other great human attribute/trait. Without love, anything done or said, in God's name is worthless.
Have you noticed that the Islam that you see, revealed in the media, reveals a brotherhood, of love amongst like minded Muslims, but it does not extend beyond that unto God's humanity in total? Thats very revealing. It means in my opinion that ultimately, Islam cannot live in peace with prevailing government authority if it's lead by infidels, and it also means that under those circumstances, those Muslims living under that authority cannot be patriotic, without violating the very tenents of the prophet's teachings.

Not to mention Jesus broke the law in his day also, more than one, for sure. He was a radical, but not the kind that exists today.

The Constitution only received its authority based on the DOI. The DOI laid out the framework for the details of the Constitution.

The Authority to implement the laws of the land based on Biblical Christian Doctrine was already stated in the DOI and there was no need to repeat it in writing the Constitution, as the founding fathers were not a bunch of elistist pompist asses speaking legalize and they would use one paragraph to state what it takes a room full of lawyers and five hundred pages these days to define what "IS" is.

You do realize the founding fathers SIGNED the DOI. It is a legal document, without which, the Constitution has no authority.

But you liberals work things backwards. You make emotional decisions and then spin the facts to support them. Your hatred of President Bush drives you to looney statements and beliefs. Go ahead and continue to deny the obvioius, its fine, I could care less. But we rational, logical thinkers will continue to spread the truth of what our country was founded on, and those who are not poisoned by hate and bitterness, as yourself, will read it and see the truth.
I do love it when you guys post such obvious idiotic statements. I get to show them to all of my kids, and they just laugh and are incredulous how any adult can believe the crap you guys post.

Thats absolutely true. Being a world traveler, people in other countries always refer to us, me as an American. ALWAYS. I have NEVER heard any question or statement as to my nationality other than "AMERICAN", as in, "are you an American?"

Gee... I dunno Billy - I suppose the founders could've been anything BUT Christians eh?

Could you imagine how bad idiots like Billy would freak-out if a current President gave a proclimation like our 1st President did regarding Thanksgiving?

By the President of the United States of America, a Proclamation.

Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor-- and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.

Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be-- That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks--for his kind care and protection of the People of this Country previous to their becoming a Nation--for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his Providence which we experienced in the course and conclusion of the late war--for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed--for the peaceable and rational manner, in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted--for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed; and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.

and also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions-- to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually--to render our national government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed--to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shewn kindness unto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord--To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the encrease of science among them and us--and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand at the City of New York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.

George Washington

Forum List

Back