Can a cop arrest anyone?

So your cop friend believes that resisting a false arrest is itself a crime. How is that possible?
Because the right thing to do is tell it to the judge. You dont get to decide. We know you think its false imprisonment.

Cops have arrest power. Get it?

What if a judge sentences you to prison? Is that false imprisonment? To you it is.
A false arrest should be considered false imprisonment and cops should be held responsible, especially if they make a habit of it.
Of course they should! Tell it to the judge.

So your cop friend believes that resisting a false arrest is itself a crime. How is that possible?

You aren't complying with his virbal commands. But hey look that guy in Inkster,mi just got over 1 mill settlement because the cop went too far.

Treat cops like you do a judge.

Some states have removed your legal right to resist what you believe to be an unlawful arrest. So, in those states, you ARE committing a felony if you resist the arrest, and THAT charge (resisting arrest) WILL "stick" (in said states) even if the original charges do not.

Arresting people is dangerous. We have to think about the safety of the cop and arresting someone can put them at risk. It's better that they just shoot the person until they're dead and then justify it later.
See a good example everyone of the denial white people were in may 2015?

Arresting people is dangerous. We have to think about the safety of the cop and arresting someone can put them at risk. It's better that they just shoot the person until they're dead and then justify it later.

I've since revised my views. I now don't think they should be made to justify it later.

“Citizens may resist unlawful arrest to the point of taking an arresting officer's life if necessary.” Plummer v. State, 136 Ind. 306. This premise was upheld by the Supreme Court of the United States in the case: John Bad Elk v. U.S., 177 U.S. 529. The Court stated: “Where the officer is killed in the course of the disorder which naturally accompanies an attempted arrest that is resisted, the law looks with very different eyes upon the transaction, when the officer had the right to make the arrest, from what it does if the officer had no right. What may be murder in the first case might be nothing more than manslaughter in the other, or the facts might show that no offense had been committed.”

Your Right of Defense Against Unlawful Arrest

Thanks for the information. In my home state of Florida, a person is allowed to use force (but only non-deadly force) to resist an unlawful arrest. However, what constitutes an unlawful arrest is not always cut and dry. The mere fact that a defendant is subsequently acquitted of a crime is insufficient to prove the arrest was unlawful:

"In considering the legality of an arrest by a municipal officer for a breach of the peace committed in his presence, the determining factor is not whether the charged person is actually guilty. The question to be determined is whether or not the officer had substantial reason to believe the plaintiff was committing a misdemeanor. If substantial reason exists the courts cannot second guess the officer in the performance of his duty." City of Miami v. Albro, Fla. App. 1960, 120 So.2d 23, at p. 26.

The laws are complicated and vary from state to state. However it appears that many states consider an unlawful arrest to be a type of assault/battery which justifies forceful resistance. Here is an article you might enjoy:

Right to Defend Yourself Against Unlawful Arrest Freedom from Government - Official Website
Funny long before blm we were discussing how to act around cops. I bet ultimately people have to learn you have no say when a cop says hands behind your back, on the ground or freeze.

But that doesn't mean a death penalty, does it? Sometimes it does. Maybe that's what young men have to understand. But cops can't use excessive force either

Obey the officer. The continuing expansion of cameras and coverage are continuing to cow most cops into obeying the law themselves.

One thing is for sure- cops lie.

It is better not to resist and sue for false imprisonment.
Exactly You don't get a say when a police decides to arrest you. I've been saying cops need better training more accountability and to reform and I still think that's true but ultimately most of these cop shooting videos is some criminal resisting arrest.

You think the fear of getting shot would make blacks more respectful.

Do blacks think the rest of us are rude to cops? We aren't.

But I change my mind about a militarized police. We need a police force that can handle anything.

Forum List

Back