Can a busted screen be fixed?

Big Hoss

Rookie
Aug 2, 2010
South Dakota
Flat screen monitor is busted I can see about half the screen the rest is white and has colored lines going through it so was curious if I have to buy new monitor or can this be fixed?

Buy a new one. You wouldn't want to watch Triumph des Willens with a broken screen.

Flat screen monitor is busted I can see about half the screen the rest is white and has colored lines going through it so was curious if I have to buy new monitor or can this be fixed?

It depends on how bad it is. You can replace the glass in the monitor if it is cracked, but yours sounds like something else is wrong. New monitors are not that expensive, you probably want to get one.

You're going to have to get a new one.

The LCD crystal behind the screen is broken. I had this happen when the guys delivering our big screen TV dropped it. They had to go back to the store for a replacement.

I found out that replacing the crystal would cost more than just buying a new one.

In short, the answer is no. The long answer is if you don't mind spending a lot of time on it and possible spending more than it would costs to replace it, then you might be able to fix it. The problem with trying to fix products like this, is they are not made to be repaired. After taking the screws out to remove the cover, assuming you can get them out, you will likely find part of the cover is pressure fitted which means it you don't know exactly where to apply pressure, you will break or bend something and you will never get it back together properly. Once inside, nothing is identified. There are no part numbers and no schematics which is not really a problem because you are unlikely to be able to buy a replacement part. The best source is usually used equipment.

But really it's not worth the time.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Thanks for the answers so we all agree gotta get a new one...I would love to get a big enough screen that I can use for my tv and computer...my older brother has that and its awesome!

Forum List

Back