Campaign spending and lobbying, is it out of hand?

William44

Rookie
Dec 8, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
Campaign spending has increased in each consecutive election and it seems to keep that trend, with estimates projecting that the candidates in the 2016 US
icon_flagus.gif
presidential election will spend close to $5 billion.

Why is it allowed or more importantly, should it be allowed or limited, what is your take on this increase in money in politics? Is it too much or just freedom of speech and adequate petition of government?

This seems like an important political issue where there could actually be some bipartisan support, since it is not in the interest of any voter, regardless of political views, that money influence the outcome of elections and dictates which candidates have a realistic chance of winning one.

If you wanna read more about money in politics, feel free to visit http://americanelectionssite.com/

I'd love to get your cents on the matter

a Dane trolling an American board to get members to his site? That's cute.
Trolling how? In Denmark we actually have less regulation on lobbying and around the same laws on campaign donations and disclosure. However, the amounts of money spend are significantly less, but the focus on the issue is also small.

Trolling how? In Denmark we actually have less regulation on lobbying and around the same laws on campaign donations and disclosure. However, the amounts of money spend are significantly less, but the focus on the issue is also small.
What's the population of Denmark?

What does that have to do with anything?
It isn't obvious?

It has something to do with it. 320 mil compared to 5.5?

Campaign spending is the death of a Constitutional Republic
I wish ours were tax payer funded with like a 75K cap

But that interferes with the Supreme Court's interpretation of the first amendment? Unless it was optional, do you think voters would go for a candidate that opted for a public funded program? (assuming the candidate's view aligned with theirs, etc.)

It has something to do with it. 320 mil compared to 5.5?
But I was not comparing it to Denmark in my first post? I was merely saying that in a country with a very different political system, the same problems are present, albeit in smaller scale.

Regulating how someone spends their money is a quicker death.
But why would individuals and companies spend millions and billions of dollars on politics, if they did not recieve influence on the outcome? And since it is governmental elections, shouldn't the government be able to decide how much candidate can spend if they run for government?

Forum List

Back