Camera choices

MrJim

Nov 10, 2008
I'm wanting a good movie camera, preferably a cannon or Sony, that can be used to put movie files on a computer. I find Cannon cameras on Ebay which have AV cables, but evidently those aren't for computer usage.
Any suggestions?

I've been a Canon fan since my Mom bought me an AE1 Program for my HS graduation. My first real digital was a Canon, and I dropped in in the River on a canoe trip and it still works sort of. Its replacement was a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1, and I've used that to photograph my kids sports events because it has a 10x zoom yet is small enough for a jacket pocket. It has turned out to be a decent movie camera as well, and very durable. My son dropped it while taking a movie skiing backwards last year (on race skis not twin tips) and when the inevitable happened the camera smacked against a rock. The damn thing works fine and recorded the event.

My Canon is nearly 10 years old and it's still great. I can use it with the computer and I can get photo stills from it too.

Canon ZR30 MC

Might I suggest that you check out B&H Photo? I recently purchased a Canon 40D SLR from them after much shopping, both online and in the local stores. B&H had the best prices and selection by far.

As far as brand, I am a fan of Canon products. Though I do not own anything in the video category, I have researched some in the past. Sony also has some very good products on the market.

I'm wanting a good movie camera, preferably a cannon or Sony, that can be used to put movie files on a computer. I find Cannon cameras on Ebay which have AV cables, but evidently those aren't for computer usage.
Any suggestions?

If you ever watch a football game, or late night TV like Jay Leno or Letterman, and they pan one of their cameras around where you can see another camera, they're all Sonys. I'd think that if Sony can build the most popular HD high end video equipment, then they must know something about building the smaller stuff as well. However, I'm also a Canon fan. But there's one big difference between a lot of Sony video equipment and Canon, and that's that Sony has this "touch screen" control panel on it's display and Canon doesn't. Now if you're anything like me and detest finger prints on your little LCD, then don't look at a Sony. Get a Canon. Same reason I bought a Motorola Q and not an iphone.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back