Cam Newton loses endorsement over sexist comments

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
Cam Newton Apologizes for Sexist Remarks

It appears that Cam Newton has lost his endorsement from Dannon Yogurt because of his sexist comments.

Is this punishment enough for Cam? This public shaming and societal repercussions associated with it fascinates me to no end. There are no real rules or laws to follow, it seems rather piece meal based upon the offense, who is saying it, and what race they are or sex they are when saying it.

For example, the famous story of an NBA owner who lost his NBA team merely because he was caught saying racist things on what he thought was a private line. Before this he has received an award from the NAACP on racial issues. He even apologized for his comments, yet it was not good enough. He had to have his team taken from him

Now enter Cam Newton. He publically says sexist things, apologizes, and keeps his job even though he lost an endorsement.

Is this fair? Would it have been different if Cam had owned the team? Would have been run out of town and manipulated to give up his team like the NBA owner? If Cam had been white, would he have lost his job or should he have lost his job?

Discuss.

He has a contract to play football not a job as a spokesman. Big difference. He rightfully lost his endorsement for saying something sexist.

So you are confident that if a white QB had said the "N" word he would suffer no additional penalties?

I see NFL players protesting racism against blacks, I dare say they don't give a damn about women's rights.

After his comments, Cam is now a viable candidate for the republican party.

Because there are no racists in the DNC.

Therefore, all opponents must be racists.

Brilliant. Just in time for the next election cycle.

He has a contract to play football not a job as a spokesman. Big difference. He rightfully lost his endorsement for saying something sexist.

So you are confident that if a white QB had said the "N" word he would suffer no additional penalties?

I see NFL players protesting racism against blacks, I dare say they don't give a damn about women's rights.
Additional penalties like what and when did Cam call anyone a honky?

I don't recall Cam every saying honkey, but I don't think the term honky is viewed as bad as the "N" word.

See that, I can't even bring my self to spell out the "N" word due to societal indoctrination.

I don't recall Cam every saying honkey, but I don't think the term honky is viewed as bad as the "N" word.

See that, I can't even bring my self to spell out the "N" word due to societal indoctrination.
So why did you compare apples to oranges? If a white player did what Cam did he would get the same punishment. I see nothing wrong with Dannon dropping him. He didnt have to say that even though I know where he was coming from was not malicious.

For the love of God. People seriously need to lighten up. None of the females in my family would know what a route is. Most of the males would. People need to look at the intention and not what was said sometimes. We all make mistakes and I don't believe for one second that Cam meant to offend anyone. Sure, it came off a little awkward. So what. He said he was sorry. But we can't move on until he loses sponsors, etc. Ridiculous.

Testosterone-infused professional athlete makes a sexist, insulting remark about a female...

upload_2017-10-6_13-11-34.jpeg

What a dumbass....

Cam made a racist comment? Quote it.
Sexist, demeaning - not racist.

He implied how it was funny to him that 'little girls who grew up playing with dolls' could / would be asking questions about something so 'complex' as route-running...or something like that. :p

Doesn't make him a 'racist', just a sexist asshole.

For the love of God. People seriously need to lighten up. None of the females in my family would know what a route is. Most of the males would. People need to look at the intention and not what was said sometimes. We all make mistakes and I don't believe for one second that Cam meant to offend anyone. Sure, it came off a little awkward. So what. He said he was sorry. But we can't move on until he loses sponsors, etc. Ridiculous.
As a Black man and quarterback Cam should know all to well what its like when someone assumes you cant do something because of biology. While it was funny hearing her ask the question in that very feminine voice he should have never said what he said.

As a Black man and quarterback Cam should know all to well what its like when someone assumes you cant do something because of biology. While it was funny hearing her ask the question in that very feminine voice he should have never said what he said.

Sure it was awkward. He apologized. Yet Dannon still needs to drop him? When do we just let people apologize for a mistake and move on without demanding loss in wages or job, etc.

Sure it was awkward. He apologized. Yet Dannon still needs to drop him? When do we just let people apologize for a mistake and move on without demanding loss in wages or job, etc.

Yes. Dannon makes yogurt. I know a lot of women that eat yogurt. I dont know any men that do. it sends a message that your prejudices need to be worked out in private not when someone is doing their jobs. Cam explains it pretty well and doesnt whine about losing the Dannon endorsement.

Yes. Dannon makes yogurt. I know a lot of women that eat yogurt. I dont know any men that do. it sends a message that your prejudices need to be worked out in private not when someone is doing their jobs. Cam explains it pretty well and doesnt whine about losing the Dannon endorsement.

Alrighty then. You've successfully supported punishing the black man for a statement he is sorry for a wishes he could take back. Good for you.

Forum List

Back