Calorie counts don’t change dining-out habits

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Evidence is mounting that calorie labels — promoted by some nutritionists and the restaurant industry to help stem the obesity crisis — do not steer most people to lower-calorie foods. Eating habits rarely change, according to several studies. Perversely, some diners see the labels yet consume more calories than usual. People who use the labels often don’t need to. (Meaning: They are thin.)

Questions about the effectiveness of calorie disclosure come as the federal government is finalizing regulations to nationalize labeling in chain restaurants next year as part of a measure tucked into President Obama’s health-care law.

Calorie counts don’t change most people’s dining-out habits, experts say - The Washington Post

Anyone surprised?

Not at all. As someone who has made significant change in my eating habits in the last year or so as part of a fitness program, the calorie counts really mean very little to me. I know what I should and shouldn't be eating. There are times when I will "treat" myself to something I know I shouldn't have, but for the most part there are areas of the menu, the grocery store, etc.... that I just now avoid completely.

People will make whatever food decisions they want to, regardless of what information is put in front of them. That's simply human nature.

I don't eat rice, grain, bread, most dairy and anything fried. I haven't been counting calories and have been losing a steady 1 - 1.5 lbs a week.

Evidence is mounting that calorie labels — promoted by some nutritionists and the restaurant industry to help stem the obesity crisis — do not steer most people to lower-calorie foods. Eating habits rarely change, according to several studies. Perversely, some diners see the labels yet consume more calories than usual. People who use the labels often don’t need to. (Meaning: They are thin.)

Questions about the effectiveness of calorie disclosure come as the federal government is finalizing regulations to nationalize labeling in chain restaurants next year as part of a measure tucked into President Obama’s health-care law.

Calorie counts don’t change most people’s dining-out habits, experts say - The Washington Post

Anyone surprised?

The only thing it has made me do is sometimes go with the medium instead of the large. When I go into McDonalds/Burger King/Wendys I already know what I want to order.

And the scary pics on ciggie packs are going to work just about as well as this is in getting people to not smoke.

:smoke:

I like having the counts there as a check and for me, personally, I'd use the info provided in making decisions. But most people won't.

Is this info going to be on/in all restaurants/food places or just fast food joints? We don't eat fast food so if it's just there . . . .meh.

It said all "chain restaurants" not just fast food. Here's the big problem (besides being totally ineffective) When a restaurant changes food suppliers, they will have to change their menus or risk a fine. Not all cheeses have the same fat and calorie counts. I saw a pizza guy who said it's been a nightmare in his state.

It said all "chain restaurants" not just fast food. Here's the big problem (besides being totally ineffective) When a restaurant changes food suppliers, they will have to change their menus or risk a fine. Not all cheeses have the same fat and calorie counts. I saw a pizza guy who said it's been a nightmare in his state.

In all honesty caloric measurment when it comes to food isn't all that exact. While you have to post the calorie values, it doesnt say WHERE the values have to come from. Most of them are purely statistical, based on data decades old.

I don't eat rice, grain, bread, most dairy and anything fried. I haven't been counting calories and have been losing a steady 1 - 1.5 lbs a week.

Paleo?
Yep!

I did paleo for a while, Not my thing, but I know many for who it is.... I eat "real food", nothing proccessed, nothing fake, nothing in a box, nothing with an ingredient my grandma wouldn't know, etc...

I'm like paleo who eats the bread and beans.... and dairy.. I take it further though, most of the meat I eat, I met when it was alive, I have my milk delivered in glass containers, and my eggs are usually laid that morning...

Personally, I've found that when a restaurant puts the calorie counts on the menu, it changes my eating habits. When they simply publish them in a brochure that is placed somewhere in the restaurant, they don't.

Personally, I've found that when a restaurant puts the calorie counts on the menu, it changes my eating habits. When they simply publish them in a brochure that is placed somewhere in the restaurant, they don't.

Yankees stadium popcorn 1000 cals
Yankees stadium peanuts 1000 cals
Beer 500 cals

That's about the only thing I saw that I found shockingly funny.... I guess they charge you based on the amount of calories they are giving you. :razz:

I did paleo for a while, Not my thing, but I know many for who it is.... I eat "real food", nothing proccessed, nothing fake, nothing in a box, nothing with an ingredient my grandma wouldn't know, etc...

I'm like paleo who eats the bread and beans.... and dairy.. I take it further though, most of the meat I eat, I met when it was alive, I have my milk delivered in glass containers, and my eggs are usually laid that morning...
I'd like to farm my own eggs too but I saw what happened when my sister did that: The rat population exploded! I've never seen bigger rats in my life!

I gave up milk a few years a go and I've never felt better. Stomach and intestines stopped doing flip-flops, flatulence reduced prolly 90%. I live in farm country so I'm considering trying some local milk just to see it's effects on me.

I sleep better, I feel better. I don't get tired in the afternoon and my energy levels are consistent throughout the day. I'm no longer wondering what I'm gonna' eat next, stopped obsessing about it.

I fasted last Saturday and really enjoyed it! My wife is doing the Paleo thing with me and we're gonna' make fasting a weekly event.

I'd like to farm my own eggs too but I saw what happened when my sister did that: The rat population exploded! I've never seen bigger rats in my life!

I gave up milk a few years a go and I've never felt better. Stomach and intestines stopped doing flip-flops, flatulence reduced prolly 90%. I live in farm country so I'm considering trying some local milk just to see it's effects on me.

I sleep better, I feel better. I don't get tired in the afternoon and my energy levels are consistent throughout the day. I'm no longer wondering what I'm gonna' eat next, stopped obsessing about it.

I fasted last Saturday and really enjoyed it! My wife is doing the Paleo thing with me and we're gonna' make fasting a weekly event.

I gave up milk and dairy for about a year, no change.... I love milk so was happy to go back...

Give non homogenized a try, if it's farm fresh you may find it better....

As for the eggs, I get em from a farm, no livestock on my land..... :cool:

And the scary pics on ciggie packs are going to work just about as well as this is in getting people to not smoke.

I like having the counts there as a check and for me, personally, I'd use the info provided in making decisions. But most people won't.

Is this info going to be on/in all restaurants/food places or just fast food joints? We don't eat fast food so if it's just there . . . .meh.

Do you really think the people who eat fast food care about the calorie content?

They are the same people who throw their McDonald's bags out the window when they are done chowing down on their Big Macs. And feeding their kids "Happy Meals" since they are 'too busy' to get them something healthy to eat.

Do you really think the people who eat fast food care about the calorie content?

They are the same people who throw their McDonald's bags out the window when they are done chowing down on their Big Macs. And feeding their kids "Happy Meals" since they are 'too busy' to get them something healthy to eat.

Nothing wrong with a happy meal every once and a while. Growing up it was considered a treat. McDonalds was usually a reward for a good test score, or a good baseball game.

Nothing wrong with a happy meal every once and a while. Growing up it was considered a treat. McDonalds was usually a reward for a good test score, or a good baseball game.
The key word is "Once in a while...."

Some people use it as their main source of feeding...............

God, I hate that. There is a McDonalds On the main street about a 1/4 mile from where we live. The lot is always littered with cups, bags, napkins, wrapper. People get the meal, eat in their cars and then toss it out the window. Total slobs.

God, I hate that. There is a McDonalds On the main street about a 1/4 mile from where we live. The lot is always littered with cups, bags, napkins, wrapper. People get the meal, eat in their cars and then toss it out the window. Total slobs.

Yep. When we were canoeing on the 4th I saw McDonalds cups in the lake. WTH? Why is it always McDonalds, do Burger King eaters not litter?

Slobs is right.

Forum List

Back