Calm, after the Storm, with Pileated Woodpecker, Again!

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
okay, i was taking pictures of the calm after the Nor'easter the other day, they sky was really blue and the snow, well...it was snowy white!

DSCF0961.JPG

DSCF0960.JPG

DSCF0953.JPG

DSCF0959.JPG

This pic is of my garden area, sorta in the background, it is maybe 30 x 45 feet, the white patch towards the left back... I did not put this area in, someone else did and was using it, before our new home was built...my neighbor on the right of me said the neighbor way behind me was using it before the land was bought and the old farmhouse was torn down and before they built this home of ours...

i sense the original person that put it in was an old man...a spirit from the past, mainly because I have such a beautiful collection of plants that just don't belong on my property and were put there, by someone of the past...(through a lot of google research)maybe the people who owned the farmhouse that was once there...75, maybe 100 years ago...the apple trees all have pruning cuts that you can estimate were done at least 50 years ago??? Same with the big ass Pine trees on the property, I dunno...?

It's a cool feeling though, when i find another plant that doesn't belong, it is like he is speaking to me...and i am finding all kinds of very old iron garden tools and a leather sole of a handstiched on shoe of a boy, and all of these handmade bricks...ALL over the place, and then on top of all of this, i found a huge, huge Wishing well, made of granite that is maybe 8 feet wide/round....spent the whole summer filling it with bolders and rocks i dug out of the property as i was clearing out flower garden areas....

DSCF0948.JPG

THEN! I spotted the Pileated Woodpecker, on the dead pine tree again, just pecking away, like a madman! this thing is a good 18''-20''! :)

DSCF0866.JPG

DSCF0874.JPG

great pictures, care, thanks.

ty, cool huh?

Another storm coming this evening and tomorrow...it is snowing lightly now...

we might get another 18 inches of snow with this storm coming!

Are you getting it now? Anyone?

We had a cold front come through last night....... buurrrrrrr.

Attachments

• $Picture 9.jpg
    $Picture 9.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 113
Great pics, as usual. Most of the snow is gone here in Wisconsin though, and that's fine with me. It's still pretty chilly though, but we're in for a warm up this week into the high forty's and maybe fifty.

We have those Pileated Woodpeckers here too, although it's pretty rare to see one. We probably have more Bald Eagles here than those woodpeckers. The Eagles love the Wisconsin River.

Great pics, as usual. Most of the snow is gone here in Wisconsin though, and that's fine with me. It's still pretty chilly though, but we're in for a warm up this week into the high forty's and maybe fifty.

We have those Pileated Woodpeckers here too, although it's pretty rare to see one. We probably have more Bald Eagles here than those woodpeckers. The Eagles love the Wisconsin River.

just on the otherside of that meadow in front of the house, right behind the edge of the treeline is a river here as well and bald eagles are sighted daily here too! moreso than that woodpecker!

my problem is, is that the eagles are usually too quick for me to get pics of them, i am usually not camera ready!!!

2 days ago, matt went out to put seed in the feeders for the birds and squirrels....i was at the back door with camera in hand, because they have just started to fly up to him, and eat the food out of his hand as he is loading them and i wanted a pick of it!

right as he got to the feeder, out of the nearest pine tree, bursted out a bald eagle that got spooked by matt!!! the eagle must have been stalking our feeder, a critter or 2 for dinner i guess?

ANYWAY.....I MISSED THE SHOT! :(

and only got a clip of its 7 foot wing span! i'm so depressed over it!

care

Nice pictures, I was just at my kitchen sink, looking out the window, and saw a woodpecker hammering away. We only have 4 inches of snow but it was a pretty picture almost like your first picture. I felt sorry for the poor little bird but at the same time I have wooden bird houses all over my pine trees, so why doesn't he go in one of them?

Forum List

Back