Callous Conservatism?

Wry Catcher

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
The GOP leadership seems to have foresaken even the pretext as the party of compassionate conservatism as they seek power lost. The Republican Party has adopted the 'values' of the various Tea Parties, those ad hoc groups whose leaders guise populist rhetoric while appealing to the avarice and bigotry of their flock.
Personal ambition, lust for power and callous disregard for anyone but themselves seems to define this movement quite well. Hate and fear of the aged, infirm, unemployed or "colored", as one of their leaders is want to say, is not the basis for a Grand Old Party, it is the basis for a neo-fascist iteration Americans need to reject.

"Compassionate conservatism" was a tongue in cheek phrase to begin with. None of this is new. More blatant, yes, but it has become ever more blatant since the attempted take down of Clinton, and more so since the son rose to power. What you see here is the inevitable and most logical extreme of what was sold as "thought" since Nixon and Reagan's time.

Hate and fear of the aged, infirm, unemployed or "colored", as one of their leaders is want to say, is not the basis for a Grand Old Party, it is the basis for a neo-fascist iteration Americans need to reject.
Calling Republicans "fascists" and "nazis" really loses it effectiveness when the current Democrat President is a Black Liberation Theologist Communist.

• Banned
Opposed to....what?

As opposed in your case to "Glib".

Couldn't cut-and-paste and answer, huh?

You really should credit the OP as a quote before someone finds wherever you got it.

I'm flattered. My thoughts, my words. By the way, I can cut and paste and when I do I provide the source.
Example: Dictionary.com GLIB, adjective, glib·ber, glib·best.
1. readily fluent, often thoughtlessly, superficially, or insincerely so: a glib talker; glib answers.
Kind of describes your many, many posts, IMHO.

As opposed in your case to "Glib".

Couldn't cut-and-paste and answer, huh?

You really should credit the OP as a quote before someone finds wherever you got it.

I'm flattered. My thoughts, my words. By the way, I can cut and paste and when I do I provide the source.
Example: Dictionary.com GLIB, adjective, glib·ber, glib·best.
1. readily fluent, often thoughtlessly, superficially, or insincerely so: a glib talker; glib answers.
Kind of describes your many, many posts, IMHO.

Meh...easier to cry "glib" than to actually answer the question:

What else was "thought" since Nixon and Reagan's time?

Odd, that this should be a difficult question.

Hate and fear of the aged, infirm, unemployed or "colored", as one of their leaders is want to say, is not the basis for a Grand Old Party, it is the basis for a neo-fascist iteration Americans need to reject.
Calling Republicans "fascists" and "nazis" really loses it effectiveness when the current Democrat President is a Black Liberation Theologist Communist.

:eusa_eh:

sheesh Mad

sheesh Mad

Would be more effective if both were admonished, no? :lol:

Waxed over, cold....the description in prophesy of the greedy, and selfish, in end times prophesy! :eek:

sheesh Mad

You sound glib this morning.:tongue:

The GOP leadership seems to have foresaken even the pretext as the party of compassionate conservatism as they seek power lost. The Republican Party has adopted the 'values' of the various Tea Parties, those ad hoc groups whose leaders guise populist rhetoric while appealing to the avarice and bigotry of their flock.
Personal ambition, lust for power and callous disregard for anyone but themselves seems to define this movement quite well. Hate and fear of the aged, infirm, unemployed or "colored", as one of their leaders is want to say, is not the basis for a Grand Old Party, it is the basis for a neo-fascist iteration Americans need to reject.
Don't hear much about family values these days. I guess it's not a good fit with their new plan for America.

Reading comprehension problem or are you building a straw man Mad?
There was no mention of "Nazis" in my post or even of German Fascism. I suggested a neo, as in new iteration of fascism, characterized by militarism, hyper-nationalism, one-party rule and authoriarianism; a lack of empathy and even hate for those whose race, creed, religion or culture differs from the 'approved'.
To deny the Republican Party is in disarray and has not moved far right is to ignore reality. Your final phrase shows how far extreme the right in America has gone. Sadly, you seem unable to understand what goes around comes around.

Why did I suggest bigotry in the OP? The author of the below is a Tea Party leader!
Here is one passage:

"We Colored People have taken a vote and decided that we don't cotton to that whole emancipation thing. Freedom means having to work for real, think for ourselves, and take consequences along with the rewards. That is just far too much to ask of us Colored People and we demand that it stop!"

"Perhaps the most racist point of all in the tea parties is their demand that government 'stop raising our taxes.' That is outrageous! How will we coloreds ever get a wide-screen TV in every room if non-coloreds get to keep what they earn? Totally racist! The tea party expects coloreds to be productive members of society? Mr. Lincoln, you were the greatest racist ever. We had a great gig. Three squares, room and board, all our decisions made by the massa in the house. Please repeal the 13th and 14th Amendments and let us get back to where we belong."

Last edited:

There was no mention of "Nazis" in my post or even of German Fascism. I suggested a neo, as in new iteration of fascism, characterized by militarism, hyper-nationalism, one-party rule and authoriarianism; a lack of empathy and even hate for those whose race, creed, religion or culture differs from the 'approved'.
To deny the Republican Party is in disarray and has not moved far right is to ignore reality. ......

Evidence of the Republican Party moving to the "Far Right" would be......what?

Frankly, I agree that the GOP is in disarray, but this would make moving in any direction not just improbable, but impossible. Certainly, a move to the "FAR" right is more phobia than reality.

To deny the Republican Party is in disarray and has not moved far right is to ignore reality. ......

Frankly, I agree that the GOP is in disarray, but this would make moving in any direction not just improbable, but impossible. Certainly, a move to the "FAR" right is more phobia than reality.

In your opinion. At least this post provides some substance, and for that I give you credit (not tht your likely give a shit). To deny the R's have moved to the right (in some cases the far right) is to deny reality. Of course, one must first define left and right in terms of contempory meaning, and that may be more difficult then in the past.
Are Libertarians left or right"? Those who self-define as Tea Party members, moderates, right or far right?
Is the current administration left? Not likely if one considers recent WTO riots.
The one sure thing from the R's - if one pays attention to McConnell/Boehner/et al - is the current leadership of the GOP puts party first, not the American people.

To deny the R's have moved to the right (in some cases the far right) is to deny reality.

Its nice to read your mantra "The R's have moved to the Right."

Thanks.

Now, let's get back to the question: Where is your evidence that this is true, and not some paranoid delusion?

To deny the R's have moved to the right (in some cases the far right) is to deny reality.

Its nice to read your mantra "The R's have moved to the Right."

Thanks.

Now, let's get back to the question: Where is your evidence that this is true, and not some paranoid delusion?

Evidence? (for a moment I was inclined to be glib - shame on me).

Let's see if we can agree on the terms Right and Left?
The Right Wing is the conservative and the Far Right is the reactionary section of a political party or system.
The terms Left and Right developed under the National Assembly in France (1789-91), where the nobles sat to the president's right and the commons to the left.

Under Reagan, the Republican Party moved right, the conservatives under Reagan displaced the "Rockefeller Republicans", the moderate R's, with an ideology more in tune with the Gilded Age: "...the late nineteenth century was a period of greed and guile: of rapacious Robber Barons, unscrupulous speculators, and corporate buccaneers, of shady business practices, scandal-plagued politics, and vulgar display".
Kind of like today. Wall street being the nobles ("Masters of the Universe) and Boehner, McConnell, et al, defending and apologizing to their Wall Street Masters.
It seems today's R's want to return to the Gilded Age, and that my friend is as reactionary (far right) as can be.

Forum List

Back