Calling out "Mansplaining" and Misogyny!

Discussion in 'Bull Ring Discussions and Call-Outs' started by Derideo_Te, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,059
    No, I don't think you were wrong in calling out the behavior as you saw it. I'm still just not seeing it in the same light as you saw it. Again, if you substitute "big guy" or "grown up" instead of "big girl" or substitute "ignorant prick" instead of "ignorant twat", would it have been equally offensive or whatever the opposite of misynogist is? What is the difference? Or more precisely to the point I am getting at, why should it be seen as different based on the gender of the person addressed?

We are after all of different sexes. I see no problem in pointing that out or using it in a description of somebody any more than I see a problem with pointing out different skin colors or ethnicities or religions so long as we treat people the same.

Because Rottweiler has always treated me exactly like he treats any other member at USMB, and knowing I am a female, he has never talked down to me, I can't believe his posts were misogynist. Those 'sweetie, etc.' lines are so uncharacteristic of him, I suspect they were provoked, but in all honesty I didn't take the time to review that other thread so I don't know that for sure.

In defense of your point of view on this one however, as you know I generally use something portraying an asexual fox in my avatars which do not usually suggest a gender. And I can't count the times I have been debating a point with a guy, either pro or con on a subject, and he will assume I am a guy. And when his observation is accompanied by a compliment, I'll have to admit I wonder why he assumes that if I made a good argument, I am most likely a guy? :)

And I chalk that up to an inate sense of hypersensitivity that I have spent a good deal of my life distancing myself from. My theory is, if we want to be equals with men, we have to be willing to be treated like men treat men and held exactly to the same standards.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  2. drifter

drifter Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,216
    Yes, it would be misandry. :cool:

3. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,059
    LOL. Is misandry the antonym of misogyny? I did a very cursory search and the only antonyms it offered were defined 'love of women' as the opposite of "hatred of or contempt for women'.

But I don't see 'ignorant prick' or such as intended in the same way as 'misogyny', nor do I see all sexist terms as misogynist.

True, only women are generally referred to as 'ho's" and historically only males would be pimps holding authority over a stable of 'ho's", but the historical references are in no way related to my own experience and therefore to not apply. So if a guy calls me a 'ho", he won't be referring to me as a prostitute but rather as one who immorally sells out something for money or self gain. Would he call a guy who does the same a 'ho"? Probably not as historically guys pimped themselves as gigolos but were their own entreprenours without overseers. So historically the word doesn't hold the same inference. Just as calling a woman a 'pimp' would not hold the same inference as calling a guy a 'pimp'.

4. drifter

drifter Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,216
    Misandry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. MisterBeale

MisterBeale Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,843
    I clicked this link, it gave me this message;

What's up? Is it a deleted thread? Some secret conversation? What's up?

6. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,411
    the single post is poofed.... or the whole thread is poofed.

7. Derideo_Te

Derideo_Te Je Suis Charlie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,090
    Alfi tried to start his own thread on the subject of misogyny and it was there initially. It might have subsequently been moved or deleted.

8. MisterBeale

MisterBeale Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,843
    Why delete it, why not just send it to the Badlands or the FZ if it was inflammatory? I'm just curious. What was in it? Anything worth reading or was it more bickering and sniping?

9. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,411

if it was just moved you could still link to it....

:lmao:

10. drifter

drifter Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,216
    Nothing bad last time I looked. :dunno: