Calling for a Time Change Revolution or Rebellion

Do you want to do away with time changes twice a year?

• Yes, I hate changing time twice a year.

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No, I like the time change. Leave it as it is.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Other and I'll explain in my post.

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Foxfyre

Eternal optimist
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2007
Desert Southwest USA
I'm putting this in politics because it will require an act of Congress or State legislatures to fix the problem.

I am sick and tired of this silliness of changing everybody's time twice a year. My biological clock rebels and especially when we go to Daylight Savings Time, I experience something akin to jet lag for several weeks. And that doesn't even speak to the confusion of neighboring Arizona who doesn't go on DST but the Indian lands in Arizona do. I don't know how anybody working along the state line ever knows what time it is.

And now we're facing hunting up instructions to reset a bunch of complicated clocks and other electronic devices on timers.

PROPOSITION:

The dang government set the time once and for all and leave it alone!!

I don't care if they pick standard time or daylight savings time, but pick one. Man up and choose. And have it done with.

Whatever schools or businesses or whatever sees value in a time change, let them change their hours of operation. Why make everybody change?

Okay I feel better just blowing off steam. But I need about a gazillion people to sign onto some kind of petition to put the pressure on our elected representatives.

How about you?

Last edited:
I love "falling back" as i get to sleep one more hour. I HATE spring forward because i lose one hour of sleep!

I would love to see some credible empirical documentation on that savings billions stuff. We have lights on in the house when we're up no matter what time of day we're up. Every place I've ever worked also had the lights on in all areas while the employees were there. I'm up about the same amount of time every day. Most employees work about the same hours every day. Where is all this savings?

people have moved the day over to the daylight savings time schedule, so now it actually costs more to do it this way.

The blessing is, almost all my clocks are electronic. So I don't have to sweat it. They all switch themselves.

Yeah, I never know when the hell it is until the day of. I didn't even know today until I notice that one thing on the internet had the time wrong and someone had to inform me the clocks were changing. Eh, it doesn't really make much of a difference.

As a sidenote, they attempted to impose this in Costa Rica back in the day, apparently the agricultural workers friggin' rebelled and refused to do it, so the government had to back down.

I always figured....or, I've found, that.....people who complain-about the time-change are (typically) the same people who're all-the-time complaining about SOMETHING. Hell, it's like....they don't (really) even need to announce it, anymore....'cause, you already know who they are....the same people who're all-the-time complaining about SOMETHING....ALL-YEAR-LONG!

Like LiberalNut suggests....there are (what some people consider) practical-reasons for the time-change.

I worked a contract, in Ft. Wayne, IN, once (late '90s), where they didn't observe this "tradition"....and, the people (there) were more-than-happy to BRAG-about-it (to "outsiders"/new-residents). Their attitude seemed more-than-childish, to me....as if they were taking some kind o' hard-core-stand, against something. :rolleyes: What seemed strange (to me), there, was how the robins were "announcing" a new-day at 3:30am (rather-than the "traditional" 4:30am, like I was used-to)!!! Also, "60 Minutes" (there) came-on at 6:00pm (after everyone-else fell-back, and watched it at the "traditional"-hour of 7:00pm), on Sunday-evenings. Somehow, I (always) managed to survive these ordeals.

What I've always enjoyed, about the time-changes, was....this function always identified the most-lazy segment of our population....those folks who find the nuts-and-bolts, of Life, too-troubling to deal-with. They're the same people who generate extra-work, for their fellow-employees....'cause they've got no problem dodging the more-mundane tasks that need to be done. Typically, these are the same people who whine-about unfair-competition from overseas-companies. :rolleyes: I watched this happen, in the steel-industry (early-to-mid-'70s)....(both) at the direct-employee level, and the management-level (those folks who bragged-about being Top Dog, in the World's steel-industry....but, forgot to upgrade/re-tool to STAY Top Dog).

If someone's got a serious-problem with the laborious-ordeal of changing-their-clocks....twice-a-year....and, struggle with the physical-demands/maturity of adapting, they need to consider what those icons-of-COMBAT (John Wayne & Rambo) would think of them....and, quit bothering everyone-else.

:thanks:

I never change my clocks. For a good part of the year, I'm always a hour early for everything...

I love "falling back" as i get to sleep one more hour. I HATE spring forward because i lose one hour of sleep!
:boohoo:

The last-two-years I worked at Bethlehem Steel ('74, '75), we worked 6-days on, 2-days off....and, I was workin' third-shift (11pm-7am).

I worked with guys who'd done that for 15 years....who said you never get-used to that schedule (3rd shift). It's true.

Try some o' THAT!!!!

I never change my clocks. For a good part of the year, I'm always a hour early for everything...
LOL!!!!!!

I (kinda) do the same thing with the clock in my truck....never re-set it. Presently, it's on EST (+15 minutes it picked-up, as all inexpensive-clocks can do). It kinda challenges, you....on-the-fly....to (quickly) figure-out what time it really is!! :lol:

The same with my bedroom-alarm. It's set-ahead 7 minutes. That way....the first-thing I do, every day, is kick-my-brain-into-action by figuring-out the actual-time. Avoiding the whole Snooze-trip is helpful, as well.​

:boohoo:

The last-two-years I worked at Bethlehem Steel ('74, '75), we worked 6-days on, 2-days off....and, I was workin' third-shift (11pm-7am).

I worked with guys who'd done that for 15 years....who said you never get-used to that schedule (3rd shift). It's true.

Try some o' THAT!!!!

I have worked in a steel mill in Oregon for 11 years. The first six years the schedule was four daytime 12s, three and one half days off, 4 night 12s, 4 and one half days off. Except, that being in maintenance, I was almost always working 5 or 6 days in a row. Really a brutal schedule.

Now I work a human schedule, 5 eight hour days. And feel far better for it.

Well first I don't complain about everything all the time all year long. So our beloved Shaman is just blowing smoke there.

Second, I have worked the early morning shift, day shift, evening shift, night shift, 8-hour shifts, 10-hour shifts and on my last 'working for the other guy job' 12 to 14 hour shifts up to seven days a week. (I don't recommend it. It was much better when I started my own business where I was sort of on the job 24/7 :))

But in none of these cases did the annual spring and fall time changes make any sense and I still can't find any empirical evidence of any positive value or cost savings to justify keeping on doing it. Again why can't the very few schools or businesses or industries that are significantly affected just adjust their hours of business to conform to changing seasons and leave the rest of us in peace?

Forum List

Back