Calling all political bookworms

BasicGreatGuy

Aut libertas aut mors
Aug 2, 2009
Atlanta
Any history/political bookworms here? :) My favorite era is the American Revolution.

I am always looking for new books to read on the aforementioned subject, as well as discussing favorite authors etc.

What books do you recommend, and what is your favorite period of history to study?

American revolution?

one of the best books is WJ Wood's 'Battles of the Revolutionary war', more then just combat, the author looks carefully at the commanders, the forces involved, the terrain and the political cliamte of each battle covered.

As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I thought, "I know that is a basicgreatguy thread" :eusa_angel:

He always calls the bookworms :lol:

A good book I recently read for the Revolutionary period is The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Founding Fathers by Brion McClanahan.

American revolution?

one of the best books is WJ Wood's 'Battles of the Revolutionary war', more then just combat, the author looks carefully at the commanders, the forces involved, the terrain and the political cliamte of each battle covered.

That is an excellent book. " Voices of 1776" is a very good book as well.

A good book I recently read for the Revolutionary period is The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Founding Fathers by Brion McClanahan.

"Daniel Morgan: Revolutionary Rifleman" is a must have, in my opinion. I have seen the book you posted, but I haven't read it yet.

Gordon Wood has a new book out this week. Mine arrives Tuesday. Looking forward to diving into it.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Liberty-History-Republic-1789-1815/dp/0195039149/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253996393&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Empire of Liberty: A History of the Early Republic, 1789-1815 (Oxford History of the United States) (9780195039146): Gordon S. Wood: Books[/ame]

It's not as dramatic as some periods in American history but the Progressive Era is an interesting time.

While not directly connected to the Era I've just finished reading an excellent biography of Frederick Winslow Taylor by Robert Kanigel. I usually don't read biographies but this was brilliant.

It's not as dramatic as some periods in American history but the Progressive Era is an interesting time.

While not directly connected to the Era I've just finished reading an excellent biography of Frederick Winslow Taylor by Robert Kanigel. I usually don't read biographies but this was brilliant.

I enjoy biographies and diaries. I have Ethan Allen's diary ( third printing 1845 ). Very insightful not to mention intriguing. Another good biography I have (1809) is "The Life of Thomas Paine."

I enjoy biographies and diaries. I have Ethan Allen's diary ( third printing 1845 ). Very insightful not to mention intriguing. Another good biography I have (1809) is "The Life of Thomas Paine."

I'm reading a bit of Paine now. I like his prose, it's a bit archaic but still has a lovely tone to it. And he would be a good poster on USMB because he sometimes uses UPPER CASE to make a point :)

Forum List

Back